Estate agents Sydney

Carrey

Hi every-one.

We are planning a move to Sydney Australia. My husband is a very busy man and as usual the woman get all the hard jobs, like finding homes schools etc.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with estate agents in the Sydney area? I am primarily looking in the St. Ives or Pymble areas. These areas came highly recommended by an old friend of ours who has since sadly died in a car crash, he lived in both before moving onto Tasmania where he was tragicaly killed.

I am clueless as to the lay of the land, are these areas far from the stock exchange in Sydney? I mean from there to central how long would that take, and is the traffic as bad as Jhb or Cape-Town during rush hour? I couldn't think of a better way to honour our friend than live in one of his old hunting grounds, so I hope one of these areas works out. I understand they are quite pricey, but we are a family so probably they would be best.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Carrey

Edited by Carrey

Go to www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au. Select Rent or Buy - whichever would be applicable to your case - select NSW, then Sydney, then Pymble & St Ives. You can also do an advanced search on both sites (indicating type of dwelling, price range etc). If you want to see who your neighbours would most likely be - if this is of importance to you- , you can read the suburb profiles. To find out your travel time to the Stock Exhange, go to www.whereis.com.au. Select a departure address & destination address to get directions with distance & expected travel time from anywhere to anywhere in Australia.

Thanks Riekie for your help. It is a mine field out there. http://www.whereis.com.au/ looks ,very helpful, I personally will not be going to the stock exchange every morning, but my husband will, at least three days in the week.

At the moment I run a home school for pre-school kids and mums/dads teaching art classes. It has been very successful and rewarding, I am hoping to start up again in Sydney. The emphasis is for parents and kids to engage in a project and see it out together. We do all forms of sculpture and large mural painting etc. Everyone has fun, and I am so pleased by the number of dads attending, almost twice the number than mums. So of course I need that extra space in our new home. Perhapse a large grannyflat as well, or a triple garage that I can easily convert

On the estate agent front I was hoping for some personal contacts, and references. Even perhaps the odd South African directly involved. I am sure dealing with one of our own would be the best way to go? At least that's how I feel from here.

As our requirements for a home are quite exact, we would be considering purchasing before we left, even perhaps putting in a tenant for a year. I am not looking forward to these home finding trips at all. Has any-one else done this? I am sure it is exhausting, not to mention very time consuming. Best get it right before I even think of going over.

At the moment I am trying to find a suitably qualified person who has the energy enthusiasm and drive, not to mention creativity to take over from me here so I can go on my first trip. I would prefer somebody who was ultimately thinking of taking over permanently as this would be ideal. This is a golden opportunity as it has been very easy for me to build up a very solid group and it keeps growing. :ilikeit: not the best of times to be thinking of moving, but ems the breaks hey?

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I live in one of the areas you mentioned and I must admit I love it. Pymble, Turrumurra, Warrawee all have stations and St Ives is about a 5 minute drive to Gordon Station which has underground parking etc. Its about a 35 minute train trip and is alot less stressful than the traffic etc.

The houses here are very different to SA the Aussies preserve their past so there alot of 50s style houses and the homes have alot of character but alot need modernising.

There are very good schools in the area, do you have boys or girls. If you are looking at private schools there is PLC, Brigidine, Knox, Barker. The public primary schools have very good names also.

If you would like to email me personally you are welcome.

Where do you stay in SA?

Good Luck

sa2auz I am thrilled to bits to hear this, you have no idea.

I don't have much time now, but I would love to chat to you, VERY MUCH. I just can't waite. Just one little question before I load up the dogs and go and pick up the little ones.

What do Australian 50's houses look like? There are a few in JHB that I know, but is it the same as there, are the rooms big......so much to ask.

I am truly delighted to hear you live in these areas, which one is it?

If you don't mind I might private message you, this might be better. Tall poppies and all that, maybe better for this post yoch.

I will be catching up soon.

Carrey

Stoffel, would you mind if I Email you as well? I'm also interested in those areas. (I see you don't have an Email address registered on the forum - could you please post it)? Are you in Australia? Thanks!