457 and child Birth

Paulsf

Hi All

Going over on 457 and start new job on 1 Oct. Found out last week that my wife is preggies. The baby is due in Jan09

Can someone please help me, by letting us know what does child birth cost in a public hospital.

I know we are responsible for the costs (actually the sponsor is, but I can't morraly go over and hold a company responsable who is helping me out).

My delimer is,

go over to Brisbane and pay (if we can afford), or,

wait give birth here and go over on a reginal sponsor which is running parallel with 457.

If I do the latter, I have burnt bridges with my potential employer knowing that I am in a small industry.

Please help, I need to know what costs I am in for before making a clear decision.

No matter what happens, I am still happy about the pregnancy and still will be in Oz within 18 months

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

To my knowledge, even if you are here on a 457, as long as you immediately lodge your application for PR, you are apparently eligible for Medicare, so that would solve your problem, as at a government hospital, you would not have to pay.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

To my knowledge, even if you are here on a 457, as long as you immediately lodge your application for PR, you are apparently eligible for Medicare, so that would solve your problem, as at a government hospital, you would not have to pay.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

Yup.... very true.

When i found out that i was pregnant while we were on a 457, we started the PR application and as soon as your docs/payment is received by DIAC, then you simply request a letter from the Case Officer to take to Medicare and you are covered immediately.

Hi Paul,

My friend and her hubby came over to Perth in March 2006 on a 457 visa and were immediately covered by a health insurance scheme through their sponsor - WORKPAC in Brisbane. The health insurance fund is IMAN,,, especially catering for immigrants.

During September 2007 she found out she was pregnant. Their PR application was complete and handed in to their Agent during October. The baby was born three week ago. During January 2008, her agent let her know that their PR application has been suspended until the birth, upon which it will proceed with the inclusion of the baby obviously. Their Medical IMAN has paid for the WHOLE birth and they were covered for basically everything. Only the unusual things they had to pay cash for but they claimed it back from IMAN.

So if its costs you are worried about, don't. With a 457 visa, your sponsor will make sure it arranges medical cover for you, not just for births but for hospitalization etc. It would be a good suggestion I think to ask your sponsor about IMAN medical.

Hope this puts things into a little perspective for you.

Amanda

Medicare

You can apply for Medicare as soon as you have applied for Permanent residency - This extract is from the Medicare website

Who is eligible?

People who reside in Australia - excluding Norfolk Island - are eligible if they:

hold Australian citizenship

have been issued with a permanent visa

hold New Zealand citizenship

have applied for a permanent visa (excludes an application for a parent visa)—other requirements apply. Contact Medicare for further information

You need to contact Medicare to find out what those other requirements are

Rgds

Matman

Hi all

Thank you for your replies, I'll do a little research on line and try and get as much info as possible before speaking to my sponsor.

Thanks again

Paul

Hi

We came over on a 457 while my wife was pregnant, but even though the employer paid for the health insurance, the health insurance did not pay for the pregnancy. All health insurance companies here in Aus have waiting periods for certain medical procedures (e.g. dental root canal work), including pre-existing conditions such as diabetes. Being pregnant before coming to Aus is seen as a "pre-existing" health condition, and thus not covered.

Re. the cost of havinga baby in Aus:

My wife went to a public hospital, and paid about $2,500 for the hospital stay, plus the delivery costs of about $1,000 (which included the cost of the midwife and obstetrician). You should also factor in the costs of gyne visits, ultrasound etc. before the delivery, which will also not be covered by your health insurance - it's about $65-100 per visit.

Regards,

Hannes

PS. We had to battle for the employer to pay our health insurance - they did not see it as mandatory , and the Immigration department told us it is apperently a legal grey area...

Hi

Just to confirm Hannes' experience. We arrived in Jan 08 on a 457 and took out private medical cover (Employer did not cover, but we did not push it)

Had to disclose all pre-existing conditions and can remember them specifically asking whether was pregnant.

We took out a very basic cover. You might want to research the medical schemes and see if a more expensive option buys you cover for pregnancy.

www.iselect.com.au is a website for the various medical schemes.

Regards Alrae

I was fortunate when we came out on the 457 visa in that my company paid our medical insurance.

I would sugest that it is something you raise in your interview discussion and if not included you increase your asking salary to cover what you will have to pay.

Similarly you need to ask whether your package includes/excludes Super - if excludes ensure you ask for extra in you package to cover buying your own Super

Rgds

Matman

Hi

We came over on a 457 while my wife was pregnant, but even though the employer paid for the health insurance, the health insurance did not pay for the pregnancy. All health insurance companies here in Aus have waiting periods for certain medical procedures (e.g. dental root canal work), including pre-existing conditions such as diabetes. Being pregnant before coming to Aus is seen as a "pre-existing" health condition, and thus not covered.

Re. the cost of havinga baby in Aus:

My wife went to a public hospital, and paid about $2,500 for the hospital stay, plus the delivery costs of about $1,000 (which included the cost of the midwife and obstetrician). You should also factor in the costs of gyne visits, ultrasound etc. before the delivery, which will also not be covered by your health insurance - it's about $65-100 per visit.

Regards,

Hannes

PS. We had to battle for the employer to pay our health insurance - they did not see it as mandatory , and the Immigration department told us it is apperently a legal grey area...

Hi Hannes

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. At least then I can see its affordable. I am thinking to take an SA Credit Card for incase, and pay it off from their.

Has anybody had an emergency C-section that could tell me the costs so that I can be prepared for the worst?

Cheers

Paul

Hi

We are here on a 457. IMAN covers a pregnancy on their most expensive plan, but not if you are already pregnant. I asked them because we are planning on having another little one, and if you apply today and get accepted and fall pregnant tomorrow they pay for everything.

ABSA told us that we cannot use our SA credit cards over here (we had to as our cash passport was in a lost suitcase and we had no other means of money), so that won't work.

Jolene in Adelaide had her first baby in Aus, she was pregnant at the time when they came over on a 457. I think she told me it was about $3000 and they allow you to pay it off each month for the duration of your 457 visa. I think that will be your best solution if you don't have any spare money to put aside for this.

We also plan to apply for PR (and consequently get Medicare) asap as our cover on IMAN does not currently cover the pregnancy option (or upgrade to this plan BEFORE I get pregnant).

I hope this helps

Alibaba

Hi

We are here on a 457. IMAN covers a pregnancy on their most expensive plan, but not if you are already pregnant. I asked them because we are planning on having another little one, and if you apply today and get accepted and fall pregnant tomorrow they pay for everything.

ABSA told us that we cannot use our SA credit cards over here (we had to as our cash passport was in a lost suitcase and we had no other means of money), so that won't work.

Jolene in Adelaide had her first baby in Aus, she was pregnant at the time when they came over on a 457. I think she told me it was about $3000 and they allow you to pay it off each month for the duration of your 457 visa. I think that will be your best solution if you don't have any spare money to put aside for this.

We also plan to apply for PR (and consequently get Medicare) asap as our cover on IMAN does not currently cover the pregnancy option (or upgrade to this plan BEFORE I get pregnant).

I hope this helps

Alibaba

Thanks Alibaba

Yes it was helpfull.

Who do you pay off, the goverment or hospital?

Paul

Can't you just keep your existing medical aid in place until after the birth - they should be willing to pay, whether your wife gives birth in in SA or not (costs don't seem that much more than what it would be in SA)

Worst case would be that you pay up front & claim back from them

Cheers

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
:ilikeit: Edited by Tafelberg