Aged parent permanent residence visa

Guest Jules

Guest Jules

My parents-in-law currently hold a 410 (retirement) visa, which will expire on 13 September. They will be coming over before then to renew it and have a bit of a holiday in the process. However, they have to renew this visa every two years and the last time they did they had to stay here for around 6 months between one thing and another before their new visa was granted. My Mom-in-law has asked me to try and get some info on the Aged parent permanent residence visa. Has anyone on the forum gone this route for their parents? If so, how long does it take and what are the criteria etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The balance of family criteria are ok, my hubby and is brother are both here, 2 out of 3 children but I have no idea about any of the rest... :ilikeit:

Love

Julie :oops:

Sorry Jules -I have NO idea how that works, but I will be following your thread as both hubby & I have parents in RSA and although it is not planned for the immediate future, we may want to bring them over to Aus at a later stage.

3 Out of us 5 Children live in Aus, so I hope they'll qualify on balance of family, but hubby is the only 1 out of 3 children in Aus. (His sister was emigrating to UK, but then fell pregnant etc etc and decided to put it off for a while. If she does emigrate to UK, would that change the balance of family in any way for his paretns?)

Hi Julie

My Mother-in-law moved here in 2004 on the Contributory Parental Visa.

She was 76, with early signs of dementia and emphysema.

The whole process took 6 months and cost us $35 000.

She is now in a Age Care Facility on the Gold Coast

She has a Medicare Card.

Guest Jules
... but hubby is the only 1 out of 3 children in Aus. (His sister was emigrating to UK, but then fell pregnant etc etc and decided to put it off for a while. If she does emigrate to UK, would that change the balance of family in any way for his paretns?)

I may be wrong Riekie but the way I understand it the majority of the family have to be in Australia so I don't think it would change anything. It's interesting though because in your hubby's case there would be no majority anywhere, with everyone being spread equally in different countries. I wonder if anyone else has tried under those conditions... :hug:

My Mother-in-law moved here in 2004 on the Contributory Parental Visa.

She was 76, with early signs of dementia and emphysema.

The whole process took 6 months and cost us $35 000.

She is now in a Age Care Facility on the Gold Coast

She has a Medicare Card.

That sounds do-able Qld girl :hug: Did she apply offshore or was she here in Australia when she applied? I was thinking that when my in-laws come in September I could help them get the ball rolling on this visa. They don't want to live here permanently but they would like to be able to come and go as they please and stay for as long as they like when they do come. This will probably change in a few years, with my father in law turning 76 and my mom in law turning 70 so they may want to move permanently here at some stage.

Thanks!

Julie :hug:

Hi Julie

We applied off-shore.

Good luck! It is a great visa.

Guest Jules

Thanks Qld Girl :hug:

I'll start investigating and I'll post any progress we make on here for the benefit of anyone else who would like to go this route to get their parents out here.

Love

Julie :hug:

Thanks QG & Jules! I will watch this space..... Good luck with your application Jules!