Train Journey with cars

KathyW

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anybody has ever travelled Australia with their cars by rail? :whome:

We are thinking of railing our cars with us from Perth to Sydney spending a night in Sydney, then driving to Brisbane and perhaps a stop over halfway and then on the next day to Brisbane. :whome:

Can anybody suggest a nice stop over between Sydney and Brisbane? :ilikeit:

Or any other suggestions or advise would be welcome. :ilikeit:

Cheers

Kathy

Maybe stop over in Coffs harbour? Heard it's beautifull....

Hi Elize,

Is this on the way to Bris by car?

I have also heard that the highway (sorry farm road) between Sydney and Brisbane is a 2 way road and we must not expect to have like the N1 going to Durban.

I have also been told to watch out for the Kangaroo's and other animals that love to venture on the roads.

Cheerio

Kathy

I have a nephew and niece who moved from Perth to Brisbane, they took 10 days and did the trip by road. Their opinion was, they would see a part of the country that they would never visit otherwise. Their comments afterwards - absolutely worth the time and the trip.

Around 4262 klms in total.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Perth...ie=UTF8&z=4

Guest mrs mupersan

Hi Kathy

My brother railed his Jeep from Perth to Brisbane a couple of years ago when they moved to the Gold Coast. But I'm not sure if he travelled on the same train - I think he flew across with his wife & kids and picked the car up in Brisbane.

He worked out that it would cost more or less the same amount to drive cross country as it would to rail his Jeep but his wife wasn't keen to do the trip - she was 7 months preggies with their 2nd kid and the other kid was 6 at the time. It would've been a nightmare! LOL!

Cheers,

Mands

I have a nephew and niece who moved from Perth to Brisbane, they took 10 days and did the trip by road. Their opinion was, they would see a part of the country that they would never visit otherwise. Their comments afterwards - absolutely worth the time and the trip.

Around 4262 klms in total.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Perth...ie=UTF8&z=4

:whome::whome:

Thanks so much Mara, now I can plan the trip instead of leaving it up to the husband, you know these men they DO NOT ask for directions.

I am looking forward to this because I am sure we would never do this again.

Cheerio

Kathy

Hi Kathy

My brother railed his Jeep from Perth to Brisbane a couple of years ago when they moved to the Gold Coast. But I'm not sure if he travelled on the same train - I think he flew across with his wife & kids and picked the car up in Brisbane.

He worked out that it would cost more or less the same amount to drive cross country as it would to rail his Jeep but his wife wasn't keen to do the trip - she was 7 months preggies with their 2nd kid and the other kid was 6 at the time. It would've been a nightmare! LOL!

Cheers,

Mands

We did an exercise on the costing and it is more than less the same price with us getting on the train with the cars, we would only get our cars after 15 working days in Brisbane and that's no good, at least like I told my kids treat this like one hellova good holiday. I'm sure that many ozzies have not even done this sort of thing.

I don't blame his wife I would never have done this if there were no cars to worry about, pregnant or not.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

kathy

No problem Kathy, hope you enjoy, whatever way you go! If you stop off in Melbourne, you are welcome!

No problem Kathy, hope you enjoy, whatever way you go! If you stop off in Melbourne, you are welcome!

Thanks Mara..... does the train pass through Melbourne, do you know?

Hi kathy

The train stops in Kalgoorlie, Adelaide and Broken Hill

Average stop over time varies from 2- 3 hours per stop.

You can organise to do a tour on your stopovers if your wanted to.

Cheers

Enrica

Sounds good, thanks Enrica.

Since you have the in's and out's of the train, can we take food on board in a coolie? Because we are taking our car's with I did ask if I can take in the boot some groceries that I have already bought, I know not to take fresh fruit and Veggies, but one Customer Care lady tells me "No problems" and the other tells me "I'm not sure".

Do you know?

Cheers

Kathy

Hi Kathy

You really need to check with the Indian pacific People regarding the groceries. I dont think it should be a problem as long as it is not perishable foods/fruits/meats and honey. But my advise is get a ruling from them.

Regarding taking a cooler bag on board, I think that might be a problem , as you are only allowed hand luggage on board , plus I think if memory serves me correctly your need to take your own rug and pillow in Red Class. Again I would check with the person you booked with.

I am sure you can take a "small" amount of perishable foods/drinks with you, the rest you need to purchase on board.

Good luck, I think you will enjoy the trip.

Regards

Enrica