Martial Arts and Religious Connection

TertiusVanZyl

Here is a thought.

Most religions advocate the use of reason above violence. Yet there is still a strong connection between religion, spirituality and martial arts.

George Forman who was an excellent boxer, turned reverent.

Muhamet Ali switched faiths to Islam.

Jet Li is a great student of Buddism.

Some Taoists and Confusionists refuse to teach Easter Soft and some hard martial arts to Christians and other religions, even though they are pacifists and tend to embrace all religions.

I'm a christian and moved to Australia and will continue my training. I have done some research into this subject and posted a lot of this on a blog that I got running for quite a while.

Some information is from over conservatives and other from relaxed religions.

I'm a christian and moved to Australia and will continue my training. I have done some research into this subject and posted a lot of this on a blog that I got running for quite a while. Some information is from over conservatives and other from relaxed religions.

Tertius, when have you arrived in Sydney and where are you based?

Funny this martial arts and religion - when I started with Kung Fu and Joburg 2 years ago, my mom raised her eyebrows and asked me "but what about my Christian faith?" :whome: I think most people are just misinformed about martial arts - you don't have to become a Buddhist to practice martial arts! Besides, I think Kung Fu is great for teaching you self-defence, flexibility, fitness, humility and discipline.

Tertius, when have you arrived in Sydney and where are you based?

Funny this martial arts and religion - when I started with Kung Fu and Joburg 2 years ago, my mom raised her eyebrows and asked me "but what about my Christian faith?" ;) I think most people are just misinformed about martial arts - you don't have to become a Buddhist to practice martial arts! Besides, I think Kung Fu is great for teaching you self-defence, flexibility, fitness, humility and discipline.

I arrived in March and staying in Bellevue Hill. So klipgooi van Bondi en Rosebay af.

So you found a school yet?

Guest Mauritz
Most religions advocate the use of reason above violence. Yet there is still a strong connection between religion, spirituality and martial arts.

I'm a christian and moved to Australia and will continue my training. I have done some research into this subject and posted a lot of this on a blog that I got running for quite a while.

Some information is from over conservatives and other from relaxed religions.

I find this sort of interesting and weird - I mean in the 'spiritual' section. My background in Martial Arts - JKA Karate, Okinawan Goju Ruy, Yang Style Tai Chi, Hsing Hi Chuan, Qi Gong and Standing Qi Gong. The Yoga - not a martial art, but a very important aspect of flexibility and self discipline.

My opinion. Chinese Martial Arts are strongly connected to Chinese Medicine. Chinese Medicine is connected/integrated to Chinese Philosophy. Chinese Philosophy is a strong combination of Taoism, Confucianism & Buddhism .

Many Christians from all parts of the world are now looking at Buddhist meditation to improve their concentration and self discipline. Meditation is part of real Martial Arts training.

Again my opinion - I don't see Taoism, Confucianism & Buddhism as religions.

Karate het niks te doen met enige vorm van godsdiens nie. Daar is nie 'n konneksie nie. Jy kan enige godsdiens saam met enige sport be-oefen. Dis jy wat dit saamsit en wat jy daarvan maak. Al die Karate Meesters wat ek ken be-oefen hul eie keuse van godsdiens, maar dit word nie in die Dojo as deel van Karate ge-propageer nie.

Maak ook nie saak of jy Karate beskou as maar net nog 'n sport soos rugby nie en of jy baie ernstig daaroor is en dit beskou as 'n lewenswyse nie.

Karate gaan oor verdediging en nie aanval nie. "There is no first attack in Karate" - Gichin Funakoshi

Again my opinion - I don't see Taoism, Confucianism & Buddhism as religions.

I like the way you think. And def agree. But as we know, in a western community a 'way of living' becomes a religion in to those outside the community.

I have wanted to do eastern fighting art for quite a while now but have never seen it modernized enough to not go thru the motions of bowing and saying the "words" etc. I've wanted to do Ninjitsu, Kung-Fu and even broadsword fighting but in all cases they did not want to skip those rituals so i have declined to this day.

Because if these were really only sport why not ditch the rituals and modernize it??

Still looking for a Dojo or Sensei that is willing 'cause I sure am.

:ilikeit:

I have wanted to do eastern fighting art for quite a while now but have never seen it modernized enough to not go thru the motions of bowing and saying the "words" etc. I've wanted to do Ninjitsu, Kung-Fu and even broadsword fighting but in all cases they did not want to skip those rituals so i have declined to this day.

Because if these were really only sport why not ditch the rituals and modernize it??

Still looking for a Dojo or Sensei that is willing 'cause I sure am.

:holy:

mmm...O think, but am not shure, that it is because the school's masters are still connected to the Grand MAsters from Japan or China depending on the art you choosing.

My personal experience, I liked the rituals as a form of respect. Created clear boundaries. At the end of the day, I saw the bowing as a salute to either a more experienced person, one you are going to slap or getting slapped.

In Sydney it self there are a lot of Japanese schools I found. The majority Chinese schools are close to Olympic stadium and the one Wing Chung Academy in China Town.

Those are just ways of showing respect, mate, nothing wrong with that. And it's only words in another language. e.g. in Kung Fu, the Cantonese words "Si Heng" means "elder brother", "Si Fu" means "master" or "teacher". And that's how you address your teachers. Same when counting, "yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jiu, shi" for 1 to 10. Nothing to do with religion. If you went to the army in the 1980s, I'm sure you had no problem shouting "JA KORPORAAL!" Same thing here...

I arrived in March and staying in Bellevue Hill. So klipgooi van Bondi en Rosebay af.

So you found a school yet?

Ah, ek bly in die stad, naby World Square en 5 min. van China Town af. Nog nie weer met Kung Fu hier begin nie, boer deesdae by Fitness First... solank ek gereeld 'n goeie workout kry, is ek happy.

• 2 weeks later...

There is always going to be the debate about east meets west in terms of spirituality. I am a pagan, as is my wife and son.We recognise the validity of all religions as vehicles for different people to find their path to the godhead and place no religion above another.

Okay-that said, I also practice chinese medicines and healing techniques and am a Tai Chi SiFu. All I can say, for what it is worth, is that the discipline these "arts" instil in one tend to be very beneficial in most walks of life.You may even find that it enhances your discipline in your own faith.Eastern arts are about disciplining mind and body to become one.If you as a christian can draw closer to your god, then how can this be a bad thing?