"Work choices"

Andre S

"Work choices" was an issue which the labor party focussed on a lot in the runup to the elections. They said that Howard took it too far.

Can anyone in Australia shed some light on this issue please? I'm sure Bob or one of the established immigrants will be able to expand in more detail.

Is it an issue that will affect job creation or the hiring of immigrants in any way? Globally job markets are under strain due to rumours of an economic meltdown even though many countries face skills shortages. Are Australians experiencing the pinch and if not, why did "work choices" become such an issue?

Regards,

Andre S

Edited by Andre S

• 5 weeks later...

I’m going to stick my neck out on this one.

Generally I think Work choices gave the employer more power to negotiate a contract than what they could before. They just stopped AWA’s (work choices), but I don’t think it would affect migrants much.

However the general idea I get talking to Ausies is that they used to, and now again, basically had a pretty standard contract across the board with little you could negotiate about other than your pay rate. This affects profitability. I guess were lucky to be in the middle of an economic boom. We’ll see how long it last.

Cheers

Gerhard