Children's Car Seats - Victoria

Ungerers (Tanja U)

Hi All,

I have found this nice link to establish which car seat is suitable for your child's age and how the installation works for Victoria Roads.

http://www.vicroads....ChildRestraints

Hope this helps,

Tanja

Thanks for that Tanja, I have pinned your topic so that it always remains there for everyone to see!

It is a pleasure Mara, I will gladly share any information that can assist other people.

Thanks for all your contributions, you are very appreciated in the Melbourne community.

Rgd

T

Thank you for those kind words!

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Having recently visited Melbourne and Sydney, and having gone through numerous stores that sold car seats for babies and infants, I have to question if Australia does indeed have the best safety system in place.

Sure, in South Africa, anything goes, so in that regard, Australia is light years ahead. However, I believe the European standards are better. ISOFIX is, in my opinion, in a class all of its own, beyond that of simple seatbelts and top-tethers.

Chicco have 1 baby car seat registered in Australia - baby - not infant even. Yet the Key-1 Isofix that we have, hasn't been tested and is ISOFIX, thus won't get approval.

Google our carseat "Chicco Key 1 ISOFIX Romantic", and see what it has. It has the seatbelt restraint required by Oz law, it has the top-tether required by Oz law AND it has ISOFIX. Anyone can see that a carseat attached to the car chassis is safer than relying solely on a seatbelt.

I've read an article where Volvo is complaining in that they cannot sell their seats (um... Volvo...who pride themselves on safety) in Oz because ISOFIX is not accepted.

I just find it bizarre, really I do.

-G

• 1 month later...

We took our Car seat on the aircraft - Quantas asked me for the Auz Standard number and it does not have one, in fact the sticker has been ripped off ages ago. I ended up looking it up on the web and writing the number on the plastic. It only conforms to some Euro Standard.

Our first week in Auz I was again asked for the Auz number. I simply said it only had a Euro number. Response, "no worries, that's fine"

• 4 months later...

Little bit of a thread necro here... but! Did anyone see Today Tonight tonight? They had Volvo on with the whole ISOFIX thing!! Ha! And yet... Oz law still says no to it... it's a stupid money thing... some politicians have been paid off by the car seat manufacturers... seriously... I want to see the test results done by VicRoads, etc. showing that ISOFIX isn't safer... anyone with some grey matter and having witness ISOFIX couldn't possibly say it's not safer.

-G

Yip..saw the program...we brought our carseat with on the plane, just vacuum sealed it to protect it and put it in the belly of the plane...its an isofix (a renault one we bought with our car 'Romer" is the make) but it has a fascility for the "anchor strap" as well....very glad that we didnt have to buy another one as this is a good seat that will be used for many years on hopefully many more babies ;)