Cheapest way to phone South Africa?

Dedrei

Anybody used certain companies call cards to make cheap calls to SA from Australia?

If you have, pleas share with us how much your card cost and how long you can talk to someone in SA.

I use the Daybreak card 2.5hrs for A$20.I buy them at the Newsagency / Woolworths

Edited by serileen

If any New Zealand folk (living in NZ I mean :unsure: ) are reading this, this weekend (17 Feb 2006) is one of Telecoms 'famous' $10 talkathons, including South Africa.

"Pay no more than $10 this weekend to talk around New Zealand, Australia, UK, Ireland and South Africa!

That's right! From 6pm Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday, call any landline anywhere in New Zealand, Australia, UK, Ireland and South Africa as many times as you like, talk for as long as you like, and pay no more than $10 for the whole weekend. "

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,20...0.html?tile=hpm

Coles Supersaver. My brother has tried & tested them all over the years (he is very critical & analytical, so I could accept his verdict - he saved us from going through the whole process of trial & error ourselves...!)

My husband uses Victory call cards. The cost per minute is 7 australian cents. I have found a relatively cheap way to send sms's from SA to all over the world and will be able to use it in Aus as well. The website's name is logicsms and I pay 21 sa cents for SA sms's and about 32 sa cents per sms to Aus.

Edited by Michelle

Ek koop die GOtalk phonecard by die newsagencies vir $20 en praat baie lank Suid-Afrika toe. Ek bel baie mense, maar het nog nooit regtig gekyk hoe lank ek praat nie. Kyk by www.cardcall.com.au vir inligting.

• 5 months later...

What is the cheapest way to phone South Africa? What have your experiences been?

Are then any particular phone cards that are cheaper than others?

I know a lot of the phone cards have a connection charge on top of the per min rate.

Are there any companies that you can dial through your home phone.

When we were in the UK we used this website http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/i...ecker/index.php

I'd check every so often any see if the rate was any cheaper with any of the companies. But generally I could phone South Africa for 2p/min and it was charged to our BT landline account. There were no connection charges.

I was just wondering if the same thing exists in Australia?

The cheapest I found so far are hello africa cards, that can be purchases at most news agencies. You can phone South Africa for about 2/3 ozzie cents per minute. You can phone from your house phone or any other phone. You dial a number in Perth and they connect you to South Africa or wherever.

HI Lara

I have just merged your posting regarding cheap calls to SA with a previous post on the very subject.

We use Daybreak Calling cards.

You can also check the following site for comparison between the various ones.

http://www.cardcall.com.au/main.html

You could use skype. You can call both land lines and cell phones from skype by buying skype credits. I have used it to call my friend currently in Sydney on her cell phone. The only problem is that you need a very good (fast) internet connection.

Regards,

N.