Mighty Men Conference

Rissiepit

Personally, I am bit skeptical about huge demonstrations like the MM conference. One silly question: Why do you have to gather in a large group for God to hear your prayer? Say each of those 60,000 devotees said a quiet prayer alone, at home: Would God somehow not hear it then? Is an individual prayer less powerful? The MMC, imho, is rather an indication of how desperate SAffers have become. They'lll cling at any straw -- including mass religion -- in an effort to stem the tide of ctime and murder. I don't blame them.

Yes, we are desperate - and desperate times require desperate measures. I believe God hears every prayer ... albeit that of an individual or that of a crowd gathered in His name and praying together in agreement. Nobody forced these men to come together and do what a nation with its back against a wall ought to do ... they did it of their own free will.

The tickets to the next conference have already been sold out. This is, imho, exactly what this country needs.

Mmm :( .....why must you pay to go to pray ?

Mmm :( .....why must you pay to go to pray ?

First of all nobody asked you to pay, if you didnt want to nobody threw you out or asked you to leave.........it was voluntary registration..........and of course food & drink was free.........you didnt pay to pray.......you paid for the experiance...........just like you would at a movie or a concert !!

Would you not have given something for that experiance :(

ps........and no........I didnt go to the Mighty Mouse conference :(

R20.00 a ticket - sounds like daylight robbery to me :(

I wonder what it costs to rent Loftus for a day? I'm sure those people won't leave there feeling like they've been ripped off, especially since they are attending voluntarily, as stated previously.

R20.00 a ticket - sounds like daylight robbery to me :ilikeit:

I wonder what it costs to rent Loftus for a day? I'm sure those people won't leave there feeling like they've been ripped off, especially since they are attending voluntarily, as stated previously.

Apparently the main tent cost in excess of R1M to rent for the event.........ouch !! Thats excluding the smaller tents, food, drink and other expenses........

Yes Gean, that was for last weekend's conference. Those tickets were R100.00 each and those funds merely contributed to the costs of that huge tent, the food and drinks.

The R20.00 tickets are for the conference which will be held at Loftus during July.

They had a descussion on Radio Tygerberg this morning. Apparently the DEPOSIT for the tent was 1mil.

I see it like this: Christianity is a group "sport', like rugby you cannot play on your own.

Yip, a 30 000 seater tent that ended up seating 60 000 men. Most of the funds were utilised to compensate the neighbouring farms for not growing crops on the grounds used for the conference, so this was definitely not some money making scam.

Go have a look at

http://www.news24.com/Rapport/Nuus/0,,752-...2309013,00.html

- see especially the posts from people who actually attended the conference.

It must have been an amazing experience ... long overdue.

Those guys didn't merely go to pray only. The custom for people to gather in times of distress is as old as the Old Testament. God usually reacted on these mass gatherings. They encourage each other, all listen to the sermons/speeches made and they come back home with new motivation for taking their role in the home more seriously, taking their relationship with their Savior more seriously and searching for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in their lives more earnestly.

Nobody has anything negative to say about the Pope that gathers 40 000 people per visit on his tours through the USA currently, or when 35 000 people go to enjoy a rugby game - that's OK. Just don't go and join your fellow believers to be encouraged, served the Word of God or worship together - especially if it is appreciated that you give a small attribution to the massive expenses made to your benefit. That's ridiculous !

I think our society's values is a bit warped. Maybe that's why our country is in the situation it is ? Because we have only disdain for anything to do with God ?

I think people respond too easily without proper background around these issues:

1. The people at the MMC didn't make a huge "thing" out of their meeting - the media did that.

2. The gathering was to focus on personal devotion and not some other issues of the country per se

3. Who cares about finances ! Who paid what to whom. All that matters is that some people congregated to do their thing.

4. I think that the MMC was a great help to many people, those that doesn't want to leave as well as those that cannot, to give hope and trust God for change not only in their own lives but that they can make a difference - no matter how small - in someone else's life too.

Maybe this MMC will not change the country but I think it will - and has - changed a lot of people's lives for the better already and isn't that what's important? :oops:

I say "Go for it Angus!! For as long as God is with you who can stand against you?"

"3. Who cares about finances ! Who paid what to whom."

"Mmm .....why must you pay to go to pray ?"

Obviously some people do, even if only to "diss" an event like this. Hence the explanation regarding the costs: so as to rebut any claim/s of financial gain.

Just my 2c worth but these conferences cost money to organise.

Think about the cost of hiring tent, paying staff / security / people to assemble tent etc, advertising, phone calls in order to set up conference, etc. Thus I think the cost of the conference is to cover these costs.

I think it is awesome that someone took time and effort to put this conference together!

Hope you do another one next year Angus!!!

:oops:

Those guys didn't merely go to pray only. The custom for people to gather in times of distress is as old as the Old Testament. God usually reacted on these mass gatherings. They encourage each other, all listen to the sermons/speeches made and they come back home with new motivation for taking their role in the home more seriously, taking their relationship with their Savior more seriously and searching for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in their lives more earnestly.

Nobody has anything negative to say about the Pope that gathers 40 000 people per visit on his tours through the USA currently, or when 35 000 people go to enjoy a rugby game - that's OK. Just don't go and join your fellow believers to be encouraged, served the Word of God or worship together - especially if it is appreciated that you give a small attribution to the massive expenses made to your benefit. That's ridiculous !

I think our society's values is a bit warped. Maybe that's why our country is in the situation it is ? Because we have only disdain for anything to do with God ?

Alida, you hit the nail on the head and explained it very clearly!!!!!

I agree with you 100%

:oops:

And for those interested in attending the next conference in the Cape (since Loftus is sold out) ...

"Liewe Vriende (see English version Below)

Ons is baie bevoorreg om vir oom Angus Buchan in September in die Wes-Kaap te hê. Ons het besluit om dit oor twee dae te hou aangesien die Nuweland krieketstadion slegs 35 000 mense kan huisves. Ons land is aan die gons oor die “Mighty Men’s Conference†en dit is nou vir ons almal tyd om mense in die Wes-Kaap te mobiliseer. Help asb. om die woord te versprei.

Nuweland Krieketstadion

Datum: 12 en 13 September

Besprekings: Computicket (vanaf 1 Mei)

Tye: Word bevestig met bespreking by Computicket

Koste: R20 per persoon per geleentheid.

Wie mag bywoon? Mans, vrouens en kinders

Let wel: Ons verkoop slegs kaartjies omdat ons toegangsbeheer moet toepas en beperk is ten opsigte van getalle. Die kaartjieverkope dek nie die koste van die geleentheid nie.

Groete in Jesus

Sias le Roux

Voorsitter: Nuweland Reëlingskomitee

Dear Friends

We are very excited to host uncle Angus Buchan at the Newlands cricket stadium in September, especially after the very successful Mighty Men's Conference recently. Please mobilize as many people in your area as possible to attend these meetings.

Newlands cricket stadium

Date: 12 and 13 September

Time: To be confirmed when booking at Computicket

Bookings: Computicket (from 1 May)

Cost: R20 per person per event

Who may attend? Men, women and children

Please note that we are obliged to sell tickets to control the number of people per event and we have tried to keep the cost as low as possible. The ticket sales do not cover the cost of the event.

Greetings in Jesus

Sias le Roux

Chairperson: Newlands Committee

Cape Town, Newlands Cricket Stadium

12-13 September

Enquiries: Sias le Roux (Shofar)

angusnewlands@pro-events.co.za

Contact computicket from 1 May for tickets

Telephone nr: 083 915 8000 "

AMEN SISTA!

I heard that there was a man that had a heart attack and died at the event, and that they prayed for him and he is alive now

Agreed!! Thanks for this post, Alida.

Guys let your light shine. This world sure needs it!! Especially Africa.

And don't underestimate what Angus' message will do for the family by calling men out to their rightful place in the family. We need to hear more of this.

PS, does anybody know if JZ attended? I heard he was invited - or was this a rumour?

Well.........it certainly changed people........had to work on Friday but just about all friends and business people that I know went down all the way from Nelspruit.......by bus as groups.......by car and by bike.........not one person I have seen this week so far had a negative remark.......so it must have served some purpose :)

Personally, I am bit skeptical about huge demonstrations like the MM conference. One silly question: Why do you have to gather in a large group for God to hear your prayer? Say each of those 60,000 devotees said a quiet prayer alone, at home: Would God somehow not hear it then? Is an individual prayer less powerful? The MMC, imho, is rather an indication of how desperate SAffers have become. They'lll cling at any straw -- including mass religion -- in an effort to stem the tide of ctime and murder. I don't blame them.

Sad, but I agree with you. This must be the most desperate time of crisis EVER in our generation. In times of crisis people who have gone astray usually return to God since He is truly an achor in time of desperation, just a pity one sometimes have to go through crises in order to realise one's need. Why not rather keep Him in mind every day? Whether you are emigrating or not....best place to be is close to Him. When you walk in uprightness, you walk on firm ground. South Africa has become a place where EVIL people flourish. There is an entire EVIL generation without any value for human life and an immoral money hungry government who does not care if EVIL flourish....there is just NO WAY a kingdom like this can stand... :ilikeit:

Fortunately, it is a well known fact that in the end, good will always triumph over evil. I shudder to think what would have happened to God's children at Bloedrivier if they had not, in unison, humbled themselves before Him and asked for His help and mercy. This is God's country - it was dedicated to Him centuries ago and we must never underestimate His power to restore that which rightfully belongs to Him. Perhaps we, as His children, needed an urgent wake-up call to jolt us back to this reality.

For those who believe that "this kingdom will never stand", whether you're here or abroad - please stop praying for SA as it needs prayers that are backed up by an actual belief in such prayers. You can't pray for one thing, but believe in the opposite.

Negativity only strengthens the resolve of those endeavouring to attain a certain goal.

Fortunately, it is a well known fact that in the end, good will always triumph over evil.

Yes, good will eventually triumph over evil - when this world finally comes to an end. Could be tomorrow, next year, or in a few million years. No one knows when. But in our own lifetime, evil can rule the world for a VERY long time, Zimbabwe is one example. For how long have those people now lived in misery??

This is God's country - it was dedicated to Him centuries ago and we must never underestimate His power to restore that which rightfully belongs to Him.

Remember it's not the same today as in 1838 when the "civilised" white Christian Voortrekkers fought with firearms against the black non-Christian spear-wielding Zulu "barbarians".... the playing field is level today.

As for S.A. being "God's country" - we cannot put God in a little box and confine Him to South Africa.... what makes ANY country in the world so special anyway? Australia is not nearly as religious as South Africa, yet there's much less evil in Australia. South Africa's GOVERNMENT must start doing something and serve its PEOPLE, not ITSELF. Otherwise criminals will continue running wild and do what they want. Of course prayer helps, but it's not a guarantee that things will improve when the majority of a country's citizens (and its leaders) aren't engaging in prayer too.

If we look at the 60,000 men at the MMC, I'm sure 99% of them were white. So much for reconciliation... What about the majority of men in the country who are black? Blacks outnumber whites by about 10:1 in S.A., which means you'll need about 600,000 black men at a similar conference. It's up to ALL South Africa's people to make it a better place. How about a "million men" march or conference, including men of all races? Now that could be something...