Where to go Snow Skiing

LJS

Hello All,

With Winter approaching and having a "need for some snow Speed" I would like to know whether any of the

forumites have been snow skiing in Australia and whether they would mind recommending a resort/ location for the pusuit

of some good snow skiing?

I have seen some fly/drive/ski packages advertised in NZ which we are considering but I would also like to know

what is available locally as the whole family (Better half, her sister and Brother in law and two kids and of course me)

would like to go away and make an occasion of it!

I look forward to hearing peoples feedback! :blush:

Edited by LJS

Hi LJS,

The Australian Alpine region is where you'll find the snow action. I think this is

the only area where you can go snow ski-ing in Aus.

I haven't been there in Winter - I went in Summer.... but absolutely loved the place. It's a great winter or summer destination as in winter it's covered in snow, hence the ski-ing and snowboarding, but in summer it's really hot, green and plenty of fun. Many of the ski resorts hire out skis/snowboards etc in winter, and then in summer it's mountain bikes.

Plenty of walking, hiking, cycling, swimming to do in the area.

Here's an article on the Australian Alpine Region and here's an article that I wrote a few months ago on my trip to the region.

Hope this helps.

Hi LJS,

The place in the Alpine region to be has been Mt Buller. Have not been myself as we opted for Lake Mountain which is closer to Melbourne. This is a very beautiful place but more known for x-country skiing and not the type you are looking for.

Just out of interest, read an article on www.news.com.au today that they are preparing for a bumper ski season as the long term forecasting looks like the best snow in 10 years......so much for global warming this year.

Well enjoy if you do decide to make the trip.

Regards,

WoO

Edited by WidgetofOzz

• 2 months later...
Hello All,

With Winter approaching and having a "need for some snow Speed" I would like to know whether any of the

forumites have been snow skiing in Australia and whether they would mind recommending a resort/ location for the pusuit

of some good snow skiing?

I have seen some fly/drive/ski packages advertised in NZ which we are considering but I would also like to know

what is available locally as the whole family (Better half, her sister and Brother in law and two kids and of course me)

would like to go away and make an occasion of it!

I look forward to hearing peoples feedback! :ilikeit:

Hi

My son lives in Sydney and he and his mates (and partners) drive down to Perisher Blue regularly, to go snowboarding - he tells me that skiing is for the amateurs..... :whome:

Perisher Blue is in NSW, about four hours drive from Sydney.

Enjoy the cold .....I mean the snow. :ilikeit:

Manny

Hi LJS,

In Victoria, Mt Buller is definitely the top ski resort. I have been there twice on day trips, but have not yet stayed over night and I presume it will be quite expensive because of its popularity. If you intend to stay over for a few nights, consider Mansfield in stead.

DdP

post-9582-1216076659.jpg

BRRRRR It looks great!

Definately taking a day trip very soon!

Nats

Will start planning our first trip as son as we can.

Count me in too.

That pic looks like fantastic fun. My kids are going to have a ball in AUS, and Im looking forward to living like a kid again !!