Has anyone come right with an IT recruitment agency?

MichaelvdBerg

Hi,

I'm curious to know whether anyone has come right with an IT recruitment agency for a 457 sponsorship? I see 99% of all jobs on the job ads are the same agencies over and over: Hays, Graeme V Jones, Finite etc etc.

I know it seems that we aren't going to get lucky with any of those as they all are pretty adament on getting local recruitment and tell me mostly that their clients won't sponsor etc, but it's very frustrating to see virtually all jobs posted by them. Are they even worth the bother?

Regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

From experience.

No, you won't get helped or very little help.

I sent a helluva lot of mails. And you just don't hear from them.

The recruiters need to screen you before sending your detail through to the client.

So if you can come here for a few weeks. Then you prob won't have troubles getting a job as there are a lot of it.

But they want to meet you face to face.

Once I found a company that were willing to see me, it was a matter of less than a week that I found a job.

Now the IT field is very broad as you know.

So in what section do you find yourself in? Some recruitment companies cater for C# .net programmers only as an example. Others only software consultants.

And yes. some companies dominate the add market on the web. And that is irritating since those are the once that tends not to come back to you. Because they get flooded with emails.

Hopes it helps but don't get discouraged. There is still a lot of IT related jobs here.

HI guys.

Hubby is a programmer. We tried to get a 457 while in SA. But in the end We came over on a 457 sponsorship through my work. I came over 3 months before hubby. I send his CV out to 2 companies in Geraldton (small town not a lot of opportunities). He landed and had his first job within 24 hours. The pay was crap but it was a start. After 6 month he decided to try and move into a Business Analyst type of role. Again we send his CV to recruiters and within a month he started in Perth ( dream job great pay).

We found that if you are here it is very easy landing a job. Maybe the first one is not ideal, but it gives you an Ozzie reference and enough to survive on. There is allot of opportunities in IT They are just not always willing to sponsor. But once you are here and you are legal, there is no end to the possibilities.

Good luck and PM me if we can help with advice, CV formats etc.

H

Do not bank on getting a 457!

Been 4 months and between 40-50 contacts for me and still trying tho'.

HI,

My hubby is in IT and got sponsored on 457. He was head hunted from Oz. They are still looking for more people to employ

He is a Accpac consultant so if that is your line let me know and I can forward the detail.

Cheers

T

You could always apply directly to companies and check out their websites. We used Precision Resourcing and had a job 5 working days after pushing the send button.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

The rules for a 457 Visa changed on the 1st of October 2007 going thru a recruitment agency. Please keep that in mind that if the recruitment agency is not approved by the government to sponsor, u will not get in. Keep that in mind when applying to all these recruitment agencies. It has thrown a spanner in the worx for a lot of Engineers, Designers and IT people. Make sure u confirm when u apply to the jobs. Only a few agencies have been approved by the government. I was the last one to come in on my recruitment agency b4 the changes last year. Also, when u are able to come in, make sure they are able to sponsor. So when u apply to all these jobs...which there is a huuuuge demand, ask them upfront as it is a let down when u r waiting and I know u guys are desperate to get in. That is the reason why so many 457's have been drying up and people wait and wait and wait, just 2 b let down.

I know how guys u feel. Just get on it and ask upfront b4 getting hopes up. Have a look at the Oz Immigration website. There has been a full on backlash and protest from the recruitment agencies to get it changed as if was abused by quesionable companies that exploited workers and that is all the people hear...not that we are skilled and contribute to society. What bites me, is the fact that UNSKILLED workers are now open to get the so-called skilled visa. And that is very frustrating to the recruiters as well.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/soa/...39288687,00.htm

If anyone has SAP HR Payroll experience, send me a PM. I know an IT company looking for people at the moment - probably to be based in Sydney or Brisbane. Never know, maybe something will come of it.

wish you all luck in your searches!

• 3 months later...
If anyone has SAP HR Payroll experience, send me a PM. I know an IT company looking for people at the moment - probably to be based in Sydney or Brisbane. Never know, maybe something will come of it.

wish you all luck in your searches!

Anyone out there know of someone looking for SQL database administrator or CRM consultant that is willing to sponsor???