'Packing for Perth'

Leigh MC

I just read it now, enjoyed reading the posts! I get into this without fail most weekends with mates, we just keep quiet about it now and dont get suckered into the whole argument!

We leaving for our own, and yes maybe "selfish" reasons, because i have friends who even if they wanted to go would really battle, iether with points or money. So i just let it roll off my back now.

I would rather go to oz, wash dishes, work 14 hour days for peanuts! and when i get home my wife and i go for a relaxing walk around town! People in the south africa have forgotten what qualtity of life is, not quantity!!!

What an idiot the writer of that article is....

I went for a walk with a friend today, who commented on how she has heard that you need at least R15 000 000 to have the same "quality of life" in Australia that we have here, not knowing that we have started this journey.

Our reason for leaving is so that we can have a better quality of life and I refuse to substantiate or defend our decision. America went to war because 3500 people were killed in 9/11 and from all reports more than 26 000 people were killed in SA in 2006 alone. Why has SA not gone to war? My husband is an intelligent, capable, experienced man, but no longer has any opportunities in this country.

There is confusion as to what the quality of life is defined by, and Wikepedia defines it as:

Quality of life is the degree of well-being felt by an individual or group of people. Unlike standard of living, quality of life is not a tangible concept, and therefore cannot be measured directly. Furthermore, quality of life consists of two components. The first is a physical aspect which includes such things as health, diet, as well as protection against pain and disease. The second component is psychological in nature. This aspect includes such things as stress, worry, pleasure and other positive or negative emotional states. It is virtually impossible to predict the quality of life of a specific individual, since the combination of attributes that leads one individual to be content is rarely the same for another individual. However, one can assume with some confidence the higher average level of diet, shelter, safety, as well as freedoms and rights a general population has, the better overall quality of life said population experiences.

I most certainly have a great lifestyle, but quality of life NO, and so we will live in Australia one day and I am so looking forward to it.

I totally agree with you!

Quite interesting reading the posts after the article.

Couldn't help myself - I had to add: 'why can't we seem to leave without people like you making a noise about it?'...

He'll change his tune eventually...

Leigh

The posts were funny, but the guy "loyalty" pissed on my battery with his/her loyalty thing. Nobody needs to start bringing that up, becaue your loyalty starts with yourself and your family and you own it to your kids to give them a fair chance!

liked his comment on" if im the last to turn the lights off, then ill do it" that being optimistic with the eskom drama.... so i told him dont think he'll will need to worry about that. The fantactic bunch and eskom will do that for him

the chap funny bones must clearly live another country to me! i just hope that he does have to change his mind all of a sudden.

Ha! Love your Eskom comment, Wombat!

ja - the chap warbling on about loyalty... seriously my friend - Cry me a river...

Leigh

This is what you get when an ILL INFORMED A*S writes such comments. Ummm... Just turn to any page from say page 1 to 5 in your local news paper... Call your friend and ask him who of his family has been attacked... Or just check what you can buy at a Mc Donald’s in France, Australia... with your rands. Or try and switch on your fridge light with a torch... I can go on and on. Like some of you said. Let them be. They have no idee whats to come. Good luck to them and all of us taking "DIE GROOT TREK".

The only difference is you are giving up QUANTITY for Quality... There is a difference... :lol:

What a loser!!! :) Like someone said on the article comments - can't get out yourself hey?

If he is soooooo positive about SA, why doesn't he write an article about how fabulous SA is to live, how much opportunity there is and how wonderful it is to have made it through the day without something horrendous happening?

I have learnt that some will never learn - no matter how bad it is. If he wants to stay until the bullet goes through his head (the he will trully be there when the 'lights go out') - knock yourself out is what I say.

Guest natalie3

What does he expect me to do???..stay here and wait to starve because i can get a job????..unless i get murdered first of course..

Hes just bitter that all us cool pretty people are leaving :)

Edited by natalie3

Interesting the racial undertones to all of these posts... :lol: I was at a seminar the other evening and when I walked in I was surprised at the number of non- whites wanting to leave SA. Hmmm. If you read the posts after the story was published, its actually quite funny :lol: Until you are the writer of this sh"t stirring coloumn and your boss calls you in and says: "Hey, hmmm, I am leaving for greener pastures, and I am closing my business down, here with your one month notice, and yes, I will take the car and the cellphone and the laptop back at the end of this month".

I laugh at the idea that life here will be better when we have "run away", or "packed for Perth", at least we still have some skills left in the country at this stage... Maybe they think there will be lots of jobs??? Just sorry for the family and friends that stay behind.

And ag shame man, leave Perth and the lights... Pick on Mauritius, people are migrating there too... :whome:

Why are we reading these guys stuff anyway? Much better reading (and positive things) on this forum! :)

Groete,

and how black people will march whites to Durban to get them on the Dromedaries to Holland

They can't find work because of AA and BEE

am a white, 28 year old male and I agree 100% with you

Strange that the white population is 20% lower now than in 1994

If people are sneaking back why is the white population in SA 20% lower in 2008 than in 1994

I am also applying for permanent residency of australia, personally being black i still feel that life was better during apartheid that is why I'm leaving

A black man won't see that, he would rather point out the race fact by saying us whites are leaving because we scared that the black man is taking over which is a load of :censored:!

The only reason why I left was a better future for my kids. You can?t tell me that if you had an opportunity to send your kids overseas for decent schooling and a better life, would you not do it, whether you black or white?

AND so on...

Have to get back to work now, but it always boil down to white vs black... Unfortunate, cause it's about safety, possibility and future. ( By the way, it feels race related to me, and I am not getting into an argument about it, I enjoy the pleasant people here too much) :):whome::lol:

Cheers!

Some people prefer to make it a white/black/pink/yellow thing.

Matter of fact is that it affects everyone.

I know of white and black kids with qualifications, that are unemployed for more than 18months, and there are no jobs in sight for them.

If they had the experience and/or money, they would leave as well.

Guest natalie3

Thanks for clearing that up maloi..its refreshing to meet a black south african that agrees certain policies are not cool..

it doesnt boil down to white versus black..thats what people think... but my neighbour is black..my NEIHGBOUR..not my "black neighbour" and when he said to me "u leaving us?"//i said yes kaiser...going to australia...so he says "we must remember to exchange info so we can see u there!"..

So people of all colours are leaving for their safety etc

Some people have learned nothing from history - just look at Africa's history, let's say the past 40-50 years, the biggest saving grace for South Africa so far is the fact that there was more infrastructure to break down, and people cannot run further south to the next colony. So for now some are running east - to the "land down under"...

These sages always give the impression that "packing for Perth" is simply a matter of buying a ticket and voila were off to Australia.

If they performed the most cursory investigation they would understand that leaving one's country to live in another is a most traumatic, stressful and expensive operation.

We are not leaving just because sommer it's lekker. It is not an experience I would like to relive. There is also the lifelong heartache of leaving loved ones behind.

By now the reasons people are leaving should be the focus of discussion and all energy should be focused on solving those problems.

Perhaps we are like rats off a sinking ship, but just because we might be rats does not mean the ship is not sinking.

Michael