Credit for Subjects done at SA University

NikkiH

Hi everyone

Has anyone tried to get subjects done at a Sout African University credited at an Australian University?

My fiance is busy completing his BCom at Wits (part time), and would like to know if he can complete the degree in australia, instead of us waiting for him to finish his studies before we immigrate. Which would be better? I have heard that it is fairly expensive to study in Australia.

Thanks!

Hi there...

Your fiance need to ask UNISA for a printout of all the subjects with subdivisions and that he has passed them. The subdivisions I'm talking about is the tests, if he had done tasks etc. He will get credits for it.

You can also start by looking at Universities around Australia to see if they have the same modules in the courseworks as in South Africa. You can also see the costs involved on the NET.

If you come to Oz on a 457 visa, you will pay a lot more than coming over on PR. ONLY WITH PR: If your income is low, he can apply for AUSstudy (with Centrelink). Or you can use HELP (government sponsored and he will only start paying when he starts to work). Another option is to apply for scholarship.

He will be able to finish his course in Oz: it is worth it to rather get an Ozzie qualification. :ilikeit:

Hope this help and good luck!

Regards

Madelein

Hi Madelein

Thanks for the advice, if we decide to go this route we will definitely get all his tasks etc printed out, every bit helps.

We will be going over on a PR visa, and he will have to study part time in Aus, as he will probably get a job before I do!

Another option is for him to try to do an extra subject each year then he can cut his studies down by a year.

I think we will make a final decision about this later, but at least now we know it is possible.

Thanks!