Crime - Burglaries on the rise

Olly

Don't worry, it's nothing like SA. Just thought, as we are so understandably concerned about these things, I would share what I read in the local free paper.

'Police are warning residents in Hillarys, Mullaloo and Sorrento (these are expensive, million dollar properties) to secure their properties following a spate of early morning robberies in these areas. Many of the crimes were opportunistic. Criminals were getting in because people have left their doors or windows open. Thieves are targeting small items such as mobile telephones and wallets. People should put such effects away out of view'

What is happening, people are leaving their wallets, keys, phones, bags by the front door and not locking the door or security screen, so anybody walking past catches a glimpse of these items though the window and tries the door. If it is open, they help themselves.

No-one is murdered or raped :ilikeit:

Funny reading this type of "advise" from the local newspapers hey? I remember the funniest thing for us was to read our local little paper. Arriving freshly from JHB we got great entertainment value from the "crime pages/section" - stories like servo's being held up with a screwdriver, batteries stolen form cars and the reports of lawnmowers and wipper snippers being stolen form garages. Yip there are more serious crime around but I agree the shear magnitude and level violence is so much less than what we were used to!

Viva Australia!

Love BUG

My poor cousin's boyfriend is also frequently a victim of crime. They keep stealing his light and helmet off his bicycle at the station and he is getting tired of replacing them. He has had many warnings about riding without a helmet and light but replacing these every time is costing him. Oh well these are crimes I can live with, but hopefully police will now focus their attention on these and sort it out. If you sort out the small problems they should not become any bigger!

Edited by Michelle

Yes, there are plenty of little crimes going on. We don't know alot of people here yet, only been here 8 months, but one couple we met had their car broken into while they were at the beach in Ocean Reef, and one of the moms at school had her house in Carine broken into last month while they were out visiting friends. The neighbour heard a noise and rang the police. The only things taken were a gold chain and a video camera. The theives were caught a few days later and they got their stuff back.

So, crime does happen here, not life threatening, but still inconvenient. The other good thing is that the bad guys usually get caught eventually. :ilikeit:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thomas
Don't worry, it's nothing like SA. Just thought, as we are so understandably concerned about these things, I would share what I read in the local free paper.

'Police are warning residents in Hillarys, Mullaloo and Sorrento (these are expensive, million dollar properties) to secure their properties following a spate of early morning robberies in these areas. Many of the crimes were opportunistic. Criminals were getting in because people have left their doors or windows open. Thieves are targeting small items such as mobile telephones and wallets. People should put such effects away out of view'

What is happening, people are leaving their wallets, keys, phones, bags by the front door and not locking the door or security screen, so anybody walking past catches a glimpse of these items though the window and tries the door. If it is open, they help themselves.

No-one is murdered or raped :D

No-one is murdered or raped :(

Crime is not only a South African problem,your newfound countries that you expats are living in also have crime,so do not eloorate on the crimes back home ,rather hope that the police bac home,will winthe battle against crime,and according to reports they are doing very well

I saw an article in one of the local newspapers about Neigbourhood Watch.

Police are urging people to join online to become more aware of what is happening their neighbourhood.

www.nhw.wa.go.au

Yes, there are plenty of little crimes going on. We don't know alot of people here yet, only been here 8 months, but one couple we met had their car broken into while they were at the beach in Ocean Reef, and one of the moms at school had her house in Carine broken into last month while they were out visiting friends. The neighbour heard a noise and rang the police. The only things taken were a gold chain and a video camera. The theives were caught a few days later and they got their stuff back.

So, crime does happen here, not life threatening, but still inconvenient. The other good thing is that the bad guys usually get caught eventually. :D

Guest Thomas

Crime is not only a South African problem,your newfound countries that you expats are living in also have crime,so do not be too critical, about the crimes back home ,rather hope that the police back home,will win the battle against crime,and according to reports they are doing very well

Crime is not only a South African problem,your newfound countries that you expats are living in also have crime,so do not be too critical, about the crimes back home ,rather hope that the police back home,will win the battle against crime,and according to reports they are doing very well

:D

:D Lyk my iemand hou daarvan om homself te herhaal...

Looks like someone just worked out how to use "cut and paste" and is showing off his new skills! Give the kid a gold star.

Oh for goodness sake!!! There is no comparison with crime here and crime in SA. SA even made it into the Guiness book of records for the highest murder rate in the world a couple of years ago. If you somewhere to compare SA's crime to, try Columbia in South America, I think that is also a 3rd world country.

:D Silly me, had to take the bait didn't I. Just what this bozo wants.

Guest Sunshine Sister
:yawn: Lyk my iemand hou daarvan om homself te herhaal...

ROTFL !!! :P:):D:lol:

C'Lou, hehehehehe. It's almost like being back in kindergarten, YAY !!, spoeg en plak klassies, with the snot-nosed kid in the corner all included. All we need now is for the class bully to take the misfit's lunch money and kick his butt and this picture will be complete. Olly, no worries darling, it's your forum, do what this forum is meant to do, give useful info and opinion :angry: ! The mystery here isn't why he keeps coming back, the mystery is how he gets to be part of this forum... :unsure:

Love

SS

:)