Weather - Perth

StoneRose

Hi

Please advise me on the winter, Is it as cold as the highveld winters ? How many days is rainy ?

Thank you this help a lot. We going to live in Mandurah and will if everything goes well arrive in June/July and I need to prepare for a wet winter

• 4 weeks later...

It is not nearly as cold as the Highveld, but it does rain a lot in the winter months.

• 2 months later...

Do the homes in Perth usually have central heat (ducted air)?

Do the homes in Perth usually have central heat (ducted air)?

Some do and some don't - in the property adverts they will usually state if the property has ducted A/C. Most of the newer homes in the "better" areas have it as a matter of course as do most of the houses built as "show homes". You'll also see reference to RC, which is the reverse cycle aircon, and most houses have gas which is really efficient for heating. I've noticed that there are some companies advertising underfloor heating but not many houses have it - one estate agent asked ME how it works!

Hi StoneRose,

Ek het ook van Middelburg af oorgekom en my tradisionele Middelburg wintersjas is nog erens in 'n tas weggepak. Die winter reen is tipies Kaapse weer, maar ek's mal hieroor.

Month Min Maks Rainfall Ave rainy days

Jan 16.9 31.5 9.1 2.5

Feb 17.4 31.8 15.3 2.8

Mar 15.9 29.5 15.3 3.9

Apr 13.0 25.4 41.1 7.6

May 10.4 21.5 103.8 12.9

Jun 9.0 18.8 169.3 17.1

Jul 8.1 17.8 162.5 17.9

Aug 8.0 18.3 119.5 16.0

Sep 8.9 20.1 71.4 13.3

Oct 10.2 22.4 46.5 9.5

Nov 12.6 25.6 25.4 6.8

Dec 14.8 28.8 11.1 4.1

You'll also see reference to RC, which is the reverse cycle aircon,

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is reverse cycle aircon? I'm a little confused on the "reverse cycle" part :ilikeit:

Edited by Julian (Jules)

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is reverse cycle aircon? I'm a little confused on the "reverse cycle" part :ilikeit:

It is like a water cooler but installed in the roof with ducting to every room. Normal split system aircons are much better. I have a reverse cycle system in my house and if the humidity gets high it’s useless.

GerhardinOz,

I am afraid I disagree on your definition of what is ducted and reverse cycle,

Please refer to the following definitions on:

http://www.temperzone.com.au/air-condition...ducted-air.aspx

Ducted Air Conditioning:

Ducted Air Conditioning is the best way to air condition your house. Cooled or heated air is moved through ducts running in the ceiling or under the floor to all parts of your house. Ducted Air Conditioning has a single compressor unit outside the house and the internal fan coil units are concealed in the ceiling or underfloor.

More information is at the following link Why Ducted.

Reverse Cycle:

Reverse Cycle describes how some air conditioning systems provide both cooling and heating using the same equipment. The heating process is literally the reverse of the cooling process.

More information is at the following link Heating & Cooling

Split System

Split System strictly speeking, describes any air conditioning system where the compressor unit and the fan coil unit are separated. It is mostly used to describe a highwall, room airconditioner, where the fancoil unit is mounted on the internal wall of the room and the compressor unit is mounted outside.

I think you are referring to a Evaporative air conditioner which operates as a water cooler but becomes useless with humidity and on average drop the temp by about 10 degrees from the outside temp at best.

Wow! Who would have thought air con and heating could be so complicated ;)