Suburbs further out from the city

Die Krugers

Hi there

I was just wondering if it would be possible/practical to for instance live in a suburb a bit further away from the city, where you pay less rental for what you get, and then drive the few km's to Hallet Cove's train station, park the car and use the train to go into town to work?

Is there for instance a lot of traffic going to the train station from the surrounding suburbs, and is there parking for a car?

Are there enough shops close by, so you can do your weekly grocery shopping, not having to go into the city for that? And what about shops for buying nappies, skincare, clothes, etc.?

Anything that would be a bit more difficult or less practical if living further out, that we won't know about until we're living there?

Thanks for the help!

Tania

Hi there

I was just wondering if it would be possible/practical to for instance live in a suburb a bit further away from the city, where you pay less rental for what you get, and then drive the few km's to Hallet Cove's train station, park the car and use the train to go into town to work?

Is there for instance a lot of traffic going to the train station from the surrounding suburbs, and is there parking for a car?

Are there enough shops close by, so you can do your weekly grocery shopping, not having to go into the city for that? And what about shops for buying nappies, skincare, clothes, etc.?

Anything that would be a bit more difficult or less practical if living further out, that we won't know about until we're living there?

Thanks for the help!

Tania

Tania,

Yes, many people live in the outer areas and travel to their closest train or bus station and then take public transport to wherever they wish to go or work, in your case it seems in the city centre. Of course you have to live in relative proximity to the station or busstop you wish to drive to. Halett Cove is in the South of Adelaide, you therefore want to be in the immediate area, not for instance all the way north. There are many train and bus terminals and stops around the city and you can very well do it this way . You may need to be aware that possibly you might need to walk to and\or from your final detination from the train or bus stop. In my area ( North East in Newton, Campbelltown area ) people drive to the Paradise interchange by car, park there and get on either bus or train to the city or wherever they wish to go. Yes there is normally adequite parking at such transport points.

There are many shopping centres in all areas with all sorts of stores to cater for normal everyday consumer, including those with kids.There will surely be a shopping centre in your area wherever you choose to settle, probably within walking and definately within easy public transport reach. You can catch a bus to some of the larger Mall type shopping centres around Adelaide if you wish from almost any point in Adelaide,including the outer areas.You can even do your shopping over the internet and have it delivered if you wish, but I have never tried this but some of my work mates do it all the time. Housing is very expensive the closer you live to the city, so most people live in the outer areas as it is cheaper so there is infrastructure there to cater to their needs.

See this below site for the Adelaide metro public transport information.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/

I hope this helps, let us know if you need more information. I have also attached a basic of Adelaide for reference, the black block is the city centre.

Marius

post-43-1208067080.jpg

Hi Marius

Vreeslik dankie vir die inligting, dit help regtig. Ek dink dis n goeie idee, as my man liewer die trein of bus kan werk toe vat. Ek dink vir my gaan dit bietjie moeiliker wees om publieke vervoer te gebruik om inkopies te doen, veral met twee kinders, n pram en al daardie kospakkies, is dit seker n onmoontlike taak! Ons sal seker maar vir my ook n karretjie moet kry, en hoe nader die winkels, hoe beter natuurlik. Ek is bly ek hoef nie dan bv. 35km te ry na die stad om kos te koop nie, dankie tog! Ek het gedink aan die begin as ons eers net een kar kan bekostig, om hom te gaan aflaai by die treinstasie, en dan het ek n kar om mee te ry. Ek is bly ons kan dit so doen, en weereens dankie vir die hulp.

Groete

Tania

Tania

Dis 'n baie goeie idee en iets wat die meerderheid Adelaideers maar doen. Dit hang af hoe ver dink jy is ver? Ons woon bv. 15 km van die middestad af en baie van my Adelaide vriende dink dis vreeslik om so ver te moet bly! :rolleyes: In die Suidelike voorstede is daar bv. Marion winkelsentrum wat alles het wat jou hart begeer, ook verer uit is daar Colonnades in Noarlunga en baie baie baie kleiner winkelsentrumpies tussenin. Daar is nie veel plekke waar jy veel meer as 'n paar km van 'n winkel of iets is nie. Hallet Cove se stasie het nie baie parkering nie, en ja, daar is nogal 'n traffic jam in die oggende om daarby uit te kom. Noarlunga stasie is ook 'n opsie. Enigiets verder uit sal moeiliker wees in terme van publieke vervoer. Ons het bv. laas week gaan kyk na erwe in Sellicks Beach - pragtig, maar daar is nou regtig niks nie. Geen publieke vervoer, geen winkels, amper niks skole ens. As ek nie kinders gehad het nie, sou ek dit oorweeg het.

Kyk ook na plekke soos Woodcroft, Happy Valley, Aberfoyle Park (wees versigtig, party blokke kan "dodgy" wees, ander fantasties), Flagstaff Hill. Dit is baiekeer moontlik om 'n bus te vang al die pad van daai plekke af al die pad in stad toe, sonder om 'n trein te kry.

Jy sal definitief beter af wees met 'n kar as jy kleintjies het. Die laaste ding wat jy wil doen is sukkel met inkopies en kleintjies en al op die busse.

Hallo Tania,

Ons woon in Aberfoyle park en ek werk in Seaford, so ongeveer 25 km vanwaar ons woon. Ek het al opgemerk soos ek werk toe ry, waar jy oolal in die suidelike areas woon, jy is nooist verder as sowat 5km van die naaste sentrum met 'n Woolworths of Coles nie, en as mens aan kruideniers-inkopies dink, dan is Woolworths/Coles amper 'nmenst se een-stop opsie. Ons kry al ons benodighede by Woolworths, vleis ingesluit. Alhoewel, wanneer sekere vleis 'n bietjie duurder is, dan hardloop ons maar Coles toe, hulle is soms goedkoper met vleis.

Al die artikels wat jy genoem het in jou eerste pos is verkrygbaar onder een dak by of Coles of Woolworths.

'n Mens moet net uitkyk, daar is heelwat bus stoppe met parkeer fasilitiete vir mense wat die bus of trein haal stad toe, jy sal dit op die kaart sien wat Marius ge plaas het, dis baie handig. Hier in ons onmiddelike omgewing is daar 'n parkeer fasiliteit by die Aberfoyle Hub Shopping Centre, en dan ook weer een op die hoek van Kenihans en Panatalinga Roads.

Ek sal voorstel dat jy 'n motorjie kry vir kort afstande, inkopies, kinders skool toe neem ens. Ons het ook daar aan die begin maar 'n bietjie "rond-geshop" vir 'n kar. Hier is heelwat handelaars waar jy 'n heel skaflike motor kan kry vir so ongeveer $7 000 - $10 000. Ons het 'n kans gevat met 'n "clunker" vir sowat $6 000 11 jaar gelede, maar het voorsorg getref en 2 jaar se waarbork saam met die kar gekoop. In die opu einde was dit toe onnodig, toe ons die "clunker" na 4 jaar verkoop het, het dit ons nooit enige sonde geee nie.

Groete,

Dax

Hi julle

Dankie, dis great nuus! :ilikeit: Ons plan is om eers maar n klein goedkoop karretjie te koop, en dan n meer ordentlike kar as n tweede voertuig. Ons wil dit uit ons huis (wat ons nog wag om verkoop te kry) se geld koop, dan hoef ons nie te leen nie, en spaar ons darem die rente.

Ek is al so opgewonde, ek kan nie meer wag vir die visa om deur te kom nie!! Nie lank nie, dan sien ons julle daar!

Dankie vir almal wat geantwoord het.

Groete

Tania

Hi Tania,

Ek wou nog antwoord maar hierdie Adelaiders is so op die ball! Hulle is almal dood reg met die raad en ek kan maar net se voorspoed met die planne en sien jou een van die dae hier!

Groete,

Hi KD

Baie dankie, ek sien so uit om te kom. Die mense van Adelaide lyk so vriendelik en regtig oulike mense, jy ingesluit!

Groete

Tania

Hi Tania

We live in Hallett Cove and work in the city.

There are two train stations in Hallett Cove, Hallett Cove Beach and Hallett Cove.

Having rented close to Hallett Cove station and now owning our own home near Hallett Cove Beach station I can say that both stations offer ample safe parking and depending on where you live can be within easy walking distance.

There is also a bus service running to and from Hallett Cove Beach Station.

It takes about 35 minutes to get to the city from here.

On the trip in I find it a great way to prepare for the day and on the trip home I unwind.

I put on my IPod and enjoy the fact that I dont have to battle hours of frustrating traffic as I had to in JHB.

If you work in or near the Southern part of the city you would come out of the train station, cross the road and jump on the free Tram which moves through the City from one point to the other. Its as easy as that.

Shopping - YES there is going to be plenty of it.

Our shopping centre is being upgraded and by the looks of the plans its going to be able to compete with any of the shopping centre in Adelaide.

At the moment we have a Foodland, chemist, newsagent, bakery, hairdressers, bottle store, take away that does chicken and fish, dentist, doctors, vet, petrol station, pub. Our Library has been closed in preperation for the revamp but it will be opening as soon as the renavations have been completed.

There are three schools in this area. Not having children at school Im not the most qualified to answer any questions there but I do know that at least one of them goes from Reception to Grade 12.

There are also a few Kindies for the babies.

Ok, its no secret that I really love Hallett Cove.

We heard about this area whilst still living in Krugerdorp and I used to look at www.realestate.com.au every weekend and look at every house for sale in Hallett Cove, dreaming of the day I could actually see it for myself and maybe we would be fortunate enough to live here.

We were fortunate enough to be able to rent here for a year and then in January this year we bought our home.

We are happy and settled and being "a bit further out" has never posed any problems for us in regards to working in the city or anything else.

Another area you might be interested in is SHEIDOW PARK. Its across Longsdale Road (main road) opposite Hallett Cove.

In September a new road connecting Hallett Cove and Sheidow Park will be opened making it that much easier to get to the new shopping centre and train stations from there.

I hope this has helped a bit.

Shelley