Strange day

Mikej

Two quite weird things happened today, nothing profound just surprising.

1. A young (23) Australian asked me if South Africa is a country and if so are there any cities or does everyone just live in the bush.

2. A friend in SA told me on the phone that there is nothing unusual about the crime levels or electricity problems in South Africa and that all countries of the world went through the same thing (the crime, war and upheaval) before settling down to normality. He said that we had made a terrible mistake leaving. I did not contradict him I just let him speak and then changed the subject.

The rest of my day was spent in a daze absorbing the two conversations.

Michael

Hi Michael

We have friends who tell us that our views on crime in SA in exaggerated and emotional and that SA is going through a "growth faze" and that like a fledgling democracy all will settle down and be well. He tells us that our children must be educated well and they will have opportunities in this country.

I said goodbye to a wonderful human being two years ago who was shot, my husband was violently hijacked and the he still carries with him the aftermath of this. We can count on both of our hands the number of friends and family who have experienced crime and violations against them.

I asked my husband one day to get us out of this country and he is doing this, sad as it may be, I look forward to a day when my children can be free of me checking locks and doors 10 times before bed, and a day when they do not have to stay in my room when my husband travels through fear that I may have to choose which child to save should our house be invaded if they are in their own bedrooms. We have decided to no longer feel that we have to justify our decision to go, but to simply go.

Your comment struck me because our friend is an intelligent, well travelled man, yet he sees so little.

Debs

Guest mrs mupersan

Right. Um. I think. Um. Yip. Riiiight. :ilikeit:

What can you say? Just shake your head, smile to yourself and trundle along your own happy highway of life. :whome:

I am with you on that one, Mrs Mupersan. :ilikeit: Like the penguin said in one of my childrens's DVD's (Madagascar) Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave ! (wave this country goodbye)

KABOOM KABOOM!! - is what's going to happen

You Didn't see anything! - is how they live (head in the sand)

couldn't resist aother quote from Madagascar! LOL!

Hey guys

Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave !

It's a gem, absolutely priceless.

Michael

Guest natalie3

MMMM..whatever...

I think you were wise not arguing with your friend..dont misunderstand me as i dont wish ill on anyone but well see if he feels the same if they get hit badly by crime?

The death or injury of a loved-one cant possibly be seen as a "growth phase"

and as far as a good education?..ummm..i have a 4 -year law degree and have been jobless for 9 months!!!

Ag..ill just stop now..im sommer de moer in...

Edited by natalie3

I am with you on that one, Mrs Mupersan. :rolleyes: Like the penguin said in one of my childrens's DVD's (Madagascar) Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave ! (wave this country goodbye)

Wonderlik, nou het ek ook 'n antwoord vir omtrent alles. Uitstekend.

Alle

En ek voel as ons mooi land dan regtig deur 'n 'groeifase' gaan, gee ek hom kans om te groei deur al sy 'pyne', maar ek gaan nie my kinders in die proses in gevaar stel nie. Dan eerder vir hulle tydens die 'groeifase' 'n ordentlike, respektabele opvoeding in 'n veilige omgewing gee en as Suid-Afrika OOIT opstaan, kan ons mos terugkom en met ons ordentlike opleiding weer 'n bydrae kom maak ! Ek is nie bereid om my gesin se lewe op die spel te plaas ter wille van 'n land se groeipyne nie. Waar is 'n ouer se eerste verantwoordelikheid in die eerste plek - by jou kinders of by 'n korrupte land ?

Ons is in 'n ongewone posisie waar nog geeneen van ons vriendekring ons verwyt oor ons besluit nie - almal wil of ook gaan, of begin dit oorweeg, of verstaan ... maak dit nogal lekker.

1. I choose not to stay in an infantile country, when this country has "grown up" I will again come back to continue our relationship.

2. "One should allways keep an open mind but not so open that your brain falls out" - unknown (wish it was me tho)

Two quite weird things happened today, nothing profound just surprising.

1. A young (23) Australian asked me if South Africa is a country and if so are there any cities or does everyone just live in the bush.

Se vir die ausie ja, ons leef in die bos daar, plug sommer die dsl in n boom in en siedaar ons het internet, eet piesangs van bome, bly in boomhuise soos Tarzen, en ... op die leeu se kop as hy onder die boom verby loop, net om te sien of hy kan kwaad raak en brul dat die berge skud.

Yep, die onkunde van baie Europeërs, Amerikaners en klink my Aussies oor SA is nogal ongelooflik. Ek het in Engeland 'n Estonian ou geken, wat my gevra het: as jy dan van Afrika af kom, hoekom is jy nie swart nie ? Eers wou ek my 'n ertjie lag en wegrol, maar die beste kom toe nog: Hou julle Olifante en leeus aan vir troeteldiere ? Loop die wilde diere tussen die huise rond ?

Ter interessantheid, gaan lees die vlg: http://www.sacanada.org/lofiversion/index.php/t10695.html. Heerlike vars insig oor SA se geskiedenis, lekker om te hou om eendag ons kinders te wys wat die pad was wat ons mooi land geloop het...

Mooi bly, alle bosbewoners !! :)

Alida

Hello Bosluis

Se vir die ausie ja, ons leef in die bos daar, plug sommer die dsl in n boom in en siedaar ons het internet, eet piesangs van bome, bly in boomhuise soos Tarzen, en ... op die leeu se kop as hy onder die boom verby loop, net om te sien of hy kan kwaad raak en brul dat die berge skud.

If I could just have thought fast enough I should have said something like that, the thing is it was just so unexpected.

Michael

Waahaa, Prieska. That is priceless! LOL!!!

Mike, when I lived in the UK, a colleague (a highly intelligent man with a degree in astrophysics!) once admitted that he thought that South Africa was in Europe. What the?????

En ja Alida, toe ons in Engeland aanland en ons kind loop die eerste dag in die skool in sien jy net hoe die kakebene grond toe val... later vind ons uit hulle het almal verwag die kind uit "Africa" wat hulle vertel is gaan daai dag begin, sal swart wees. Toe is sy witter as die meeste van hulle ... spierwit hare en blou oge. LOL Ons het ook die wilde diere tussen die huise vraag gehad. Gelukkig is die mense hier in Oz darem nie so ignorant nie.

Ag skies dat ek nou eers andwoord, maar ek het gesukkel om die renoster uit my roostuin te kry!!

13.gif

Miri jy is kostelik