Play groups in Sydney (Ryde area)?

RobynHat

Hi everyone!

I'm not actually South African (hope no one minds) but this looked like a great place to get the info I'm looking for and meet some South Africans... Why? you ask... well...

My husband is South African (Afrikaner). He's been in Australia for about 13 years now I think... Anyway, we met at University and not long after we started going out I started to learn Afrikaans. I am about as fluent as any Aussie could hope to be with the resources available and converse easily with the entire family. I even write emails to the extended family in SA (although my husband usually has to check the spelling!) At home Albert (my husband) and I speak either Afrikaans or English interchangeably... whatever we feel like speaking...

Now to the point. We recently had our first baby (she's now nearly 5 months old) and we have decided to raise her bilingually. Bit of a challenge in Australia I know but we're both quite determined that she should have access to this language as it is her heritage and hers by rights. Unfortunately my husband's parents are in Brisbane, one of his brothers has just moved to Switzerland and the other (who has 3 children) doesn't think it's a good idea to teach the kids Afrikaans... Basically the only person Susanna has on a regular basis to teach her Afrikaans is her father... I know there are a few Afrikaners around here... Quite a few seem to go to the Reformed Church at North Ryde (which we've been to a few times but haven't been able to make it in over a year)... Just wondering if anyone knows of any Afrikaans mother's groups or playgroups in the area... or does anyone want to start one? I'd love for Susie to be able to hear more Afrikaans and to maybe have some children her age who also speak the language. I'm perfectly able to converse with other mothers in Afrikaans and it would improve my vocabulary too! I don't mind travelling a bit if necessary... I know there are quite a lot of South Africans in St Ives and Castle Hill for example....

Robyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robyn,

Did you get any information on your request? We are also looking for a playgroup/kindy for my son in the Hills area?

Gert

• 2 weeks later...

No, no replies but yours so far...

I suppose if there isn't already an existing playgroup we could try staring one. We could do it through Playgroups Australia... they can give assistance in setting things up and finding a hall etc...

Anyone interested???

Robyn

Hi Robyn,

Did you get any information on your request? We are also looking for a playgroup/kindy for my son in the Hills area?

Gert

• 2 months later...

Hi

We moved to Ryde in May from JHB and are also looking for a playgroup in the area or other parents to get together with. Our kids, 3 year boy and 5 month old girl are at home with my husband who is looking after them for now. I am Afrikaans and my husband is English, so let me know if you would like to start a playgroup.

Ilana