13th Aussie Cheque / Bonus

Smitte

Hallo to All,

Just an interesting question, when a job is advertised for instance, 100k per annum, does this include a 13th cheque or do you get bonusses in Aus, or does this depends on the company or the trade that you are in.

Just curious, for the negotiation process-purpose.

Thanks.

Hi there

Wish I saw this post when I took my job. I'm in the Marketing Industry - no 13th cheque, no bonus.

My husband and parents in law are contractors in IT, no 13th cheque, no bonus.

Not sure if this is the norm though, would like to hear from other people :ilikeit:

Not the Norm.

I'd be very surprised if anyone gets a 13th cheque.

Not the norm, some companies do pay a bonus tho' (mine did) :ilikeit:

I am in Supply Chain working for a American Oil company in Perth and we have a bonus scheme linked to your own and company's performance up to 200% of your base salary per year. We also have a very generous share scheme and other benefits such as private medical and other insurances being paid by the Employer. The yearly salary increase this year in March was also above 2 figures.

In SA I’ve worked for Telkom and Standard Bank and this is the first company I have worked for in my life which reward you for what you do and what you’re worth to them. And the best part of all is that I am not discriminated against because I am white, they are only interested in what you do and how you do it.

Bonus - yes, but amount and structure is set by company

13th cheque - no such thing here.

I've not heard of a "13th cheque".

Companies here have to pay your Superannuation, set at 9% of your gross wage into a Super fund of your own choice, but that is the only extra payments they're required to make, by law. In negotiating a salary, to an Australian employee, this is not included in the gross salary, as you don't see it for many years down the track until you retire from the workforce in old age and you don't even have to declare it each year on your income tax return to the Australian Tax Office. The 9% Super that gets paid out is a "silent" payment that companies make.

They don't have to pay a productivity bonus, although some smart companies do pay that to their employees.

South Australia is talking of being the first Australian State to pay women for their Maternity leave, on having a baby. This is supposed to be on full pay for the first 14 weeks and having a legal entitlement to return to their job after 12 months leave.

You get 4 weeks annual leave pay each year on full pay with an extra week on full pay if you're a shift worker (police, firemen, nurse, etc.) Many employees get a 17.5% "loading" (of your leave pay) on their pay to compensate them for any overtime or shift penalties that they might ordinarily get on their regular pay each fortnight.

Companies pay weekly or fortnightly most often in Australia, not monthly. That way, you're broke for only a couple of days each week, instead of a week and a half at the end of the month!

let your kids study finance... biggest bonuses there. Can be as much as DOUBLE your base salary in the banking and investment industries, but then you must've ticked all the boxes performance-wise.

and if you're really lucky and/or talented, like Greg Coffey, this is what your payday might look like:

My husband is in clinical research, no 13th cheque and he will be paid monthly (like we are used to).

Awesome, this is why we need to come FAST! just to be appreciated for what we can bring.

Thank you for you comment - very encouraging to me

Fern