High Schools in Perth

Lee

<_< Hi Everybody!

I am sure many of you have been where I am at - the start of the search for the best school in Perth. We are only looking at migrating early 2007 and will initially be staying with my brother-in-law in Iluka, Perth. If we are only in Iluka temporarily before finding a rental property, possibly in another suburb, would a school outside of Iluka accept her? Is there a vast difference in school fees between public and private schools.

Jess is 13 and will start high school in 2007. I know that she would ideally like to attend an all girls school, but if that is not possible, that's o.k.

Can anyone recommend the "top" schools in Perth and if possible, give me an indication of the suburb that they are in (and possibly an approximate distance from Iluka?).

Thanks so much!

Lee and Jess

We have only been here 8 months and are in the northern suburb but here is what I have heard and been told. If you want an all girls school you will have to go private. I believe people put their kids names on waiting lists at birth for some of the private schools and the fees can be quite high.

A friend of the family who works in the education department told us about some of the public high school. He said you have to be carefull as some have a bad reputation. Three of the good ones in the northern suburbs that are in the list of top performer and do as well as some of the private schools are Churchlands High (about 20 kms south of Iluka), Carine High (14km south) and Woodvale High (8km south). They all have catchment areas, so you have to live in the area to get in as they are understandably quite popular. The school fees for public schools are not too high. My daughter is in Year 11 at Carine and the school fees voluntary contributions) for the year were only $85, but you also pay for the individual subjects, some subjects cost more than others, ours totalled $166 for the year. And for text books $406 (I think you can hire textbooks from the school for years below 11), and there are extra costs for school trips (zoo, aquarium,etc) and incursions (when actors or other educational people visit the school and put on a show for the kids) and sports.

• 10 months later...

We live in the northern suburbs of Perth. Hale school is very expensive but has a good academic record. If you are interested in a caring Christian school, Kingsway Christian College, Lake Joondalup Baptist College, Quinns Baptist College, St Stephens Duncraig, Carramar, Prendiville Catholc College, Peter Moyes Anglican School are a few good schools that come to mind. Put your name down as there is sometimes a waiting list.

Your'e probably looking at about $4000 per year in school fees.

Cheers

Bruce Boy

In my area, both the local highschools (govt) feature in the Dept of Educations top 50 achievers - Duncraig and Carine

I highly recommend John Curtin College of the Arts in Fremantle

• 1 month later...

I am putting both my kids in Quinns Baptist college. They are very nice and not as expensive as some of the other private schools. I was looking for a Christian School for my kids and I am happy to say that I will put them in QBC. The staff is very friendly and made me feel at home. They gave me the impression of good values and a family atmosphere. Their discipline looks good.

I male use of public transport and I am sorry to say that some of the high school girls look like prostetutes on the train with thei skimpy clothes wild hair styles and makeup and pierced faces. Maybe I am just conservative but what happened to kids being kids.

I was warned that the high schools are bigger than the primary schools and that there are many 'hoons' in the public schools.

Check the school out first see how they dress and how the kids generally behave when they arrive and leave school. If it does not give you a warm and fuzy feeling you should go with your gut.

Eugene

With public schools you are limited as they enforce the catchment rule ie: have to attend the school that falls into your area, with private schools you can attend anywhere as long as you can get a place, most private schools are affordable.

In the North there are some great pvt schools as mentioned

Kingsway christian college (Note strict admission criterea here, one parent has to be christian, letter from pastor / minister, interview etc but worth it if you want your child at a christian school) then there is the Baptist colleges - Quins in Quins Rocks and Lake Joondalup in Joondalup, these are classed as Christian outreach schools, open to anyone, but teachers are Christian. Quality of Public schools generally determined by the area they service.

Once you move here you can get books at newsagent that list all schools in Perth and how they rate etc.

Top school in Perth according to me ......John Curtin College of the Arts in Freemantle. It's not only a school for the arts, but for every child with all the subjects of a normal school ...just a little bit more. Just google them and see for youself. :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Betsy

Edited by Betsy

Top school in Perth according to me ......John Curtin College of the Arts in Freemantle. It's not only a school for the arts, but for every child with all the subjects of a normal school ...just a little bit more. Just google them and see for youself. :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Betsy

HI I'VE ENROLLED MY KIDS IN QUINNS BAPTIST FOR NEXT YEAR

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS SCHOOL

PLEASE REPLY

RUBY

PLEASE REPLY

RUBY

It is a growing school with building still taking place. It is quite small and therefore has a nice family atmosphere. I have only heard good things about it, and I know sone students in the primary school there.

Your kids will be very happy there.

Bruce Boy

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE REPLY

RUBY

Quinns is a very nice school quite a number of south Africa families there

www.quinnsbaptistcollege.com.au

if you want any additional info feel free to PM me

• 1 month later...
Quinns Baptist is great. Plenty of South Africans there.

Funny you should say that, On Friday I was chatting to an aussie at Adelaide airport, we were both waiting for a flight to Perth and he said to me, "I guess you live in Quinnsfontein" apparently the Aussie nick name for Quinns Rocks.

Des