457's and Relocation Costs?

SuzanneT

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know from the guys that got sponsor's if they were willing to pay/help you pay for you relocation?

Was/Is it a fixed amount, or did you negotiate it?

We would like to take the dogs with us and a container, so our costs will be over R100k. Will be able to pay it ourselves if we have to, but then we'll do it in phases.

I know of one guy that got R180 000 for relocating his family of 4. Even half of that will be a big help!!

Suzanne

We were offered it and then were warned by someone else also going on a 457 that we'd have to pay it back, read small print. We then queried it and they told us they would cover the initial cost but it will be reduced from hubby's salary once he starts working. Nothing is for nothing, I'm afraid. The company has however paid visa costs.

Would ALSO like to know:

If you have your PR (before you go) and THEN apply for jobs (the company said they can do a "transfer") - will they pay for relocation?

Has ANYBODY done their own PR here in Sunny South Africa and then applied for a job & the new company helped pay the airtickets, container, etc?

Thanks!

(We don't have the PR yet - just wondering)?

Ing

Thanks Brissy Bessie, will look out for that!

What does the Visa costs include? Who paid for the medicals that's needed for the Visa?

Suzanne

Hi SuzanneT...

The company I am going to work for offered me $5000 for relocation after we negotiated it. I do not have to pay them back any of these costs as long as I can proof that it was used towards the relocation. (Slips and moving contracts, etc).

I think it depends from employer to employer.

Regards

K

My husband's sponsor is paying for the 457 and they give us $5000 towards realocation. A lot of people on this forum get much more (R180 000, I wish!). This they will pay back once we can show proof of any costs. I guess the container that went yesterday will surely be sufficient proof. We paid for our medicals ourselves, however, I want him to ask if they are willing to pay that too, since I see it as part of the visa processes.

His employment contract specifically stated that his salary will be $xxx + 9% super = $yyyy and a relocation fee of $5000 to be paid back to us once we can show the proof. So, make sure what the contract says.

We are taking 2 dogs and to be honest with the container, dogs, deposit+one month's rent in advance and a few pieces of furniture, washing machine, cutlery, GPS we are buying over from the woman who we are taking the house/rent over from the total will be more towards R200 000. That is without even buying a car. Be prepared there are a lot of hidden costs. We had to pay for getting our degrees re-issued in English and Afrikaans, we bought a new matrass for our bed, 2 new suitcases and the list goes on.

When we get the relaction costs back, I guess it will be around R150 000 out of pocket for us.

I hope this helps.

Hi Alibaba,

Thanks a lot!!

We have a very phased approach to the whole "emigrating to Aus"-thingie . We'll be doing much the same as Koosdup. I'll be going over first (I'm the main applicant). Live on absolute bare necessities for a few months over there while earning $$$ and saving hopefully a lot (Hubby will also cut costs on this side and live with relatives). Then hubby, container, and dogs will arrive in the course of about 3 months to a year. Hopefully I'll have the start-up costs covered by then, so then it's just the relocation costs that needs to be covered.

Suzanne

It all depends on the company and how badly they want your skills. The company hubby works for paid all our visa costs including medicals, paid for all relocation costs including container and even paid for temporary accommodation in RSA because we sold our house early to prevent any delays. They paid for a house and garden service here for 6 months to get us started and the first day took us shopping and stocked us up with groceries for a month.

None of this we had to repay and we got PR 6 months after landing and hubby was no longer contracted to them. Needless to say hubby is still with them 2 years later as they have been really good to us. Their attitude is if you treat your staff well they will stay and be loyal. :) Works for us.

I agree though....read the fine print. Ours didn't state anything about having to pay back a cent or being contracted to them for any amount of time, I checked all that clearly BEFORE hubby signed. :whome:

It all depends on the company and how badly they want your skills. The company hubby works for paid all our visa costs including medicals, paid for all relocation costs including container and even paid for temporary accommodation in RSA because we sold our house early to prevent any delays. They paid for a house and garden service here for 6 months to get us started and the first day took us shopping and stocked us up with groceries for a month.

None of this we had to repay and we got PR 6 months after landing and hubby was no longer contracted to them. Needless to say hubby is still with them 2 years later as they have been really good to us. Their attitude is if you treat your staff well they will stay and be loyal. :) Works for us.

I agree though....read the fine print. Ours didn't state anything about having to pay back a cent or being contracted to them for any amount of time, I checked all that clearly BEFORE hubby signed. :whome:

Wow, you husband's company aren't looking for any IT people hey? I would love to get sponsored by them :):)

Wow, you husband's company aren't looking for any IT people hey? I would love to get sponsored by them :):)

Hoor Hoor!!

Ons ook!

Wow, you husband's company aren't looking for any IT people hey? I would love to get sponsored by them :angry::)

His company sponsor quite a few South Africans, there is another one starting soon as well. The new guy was offered the position 18 months ago but had to pull out as he couldn't sell his house, phoned the other day and said his house is sold, does the offer still stand? Company said yes and now he should be here shortly.

Unfortunately it is not IT but rather engineering and High Voltage Engineers are in VERY SHORT supply here so if that is your occupation they will bend over backwards for you. :whome: It is so bad here that whenever they work on a site the other big companies are always trying to poach them, at least we know we won't be without work. :D

Edited by colton

Hi

We also on 457 and we paid our visa costs. Company paid to relocate us - container and one way tickets for the family. Plus they had organised a pick-up from the airport and paid 6 weeks accomodation in furnished apartment when we landed.

They had promised this verbally and when written contract arived it covered relocation costs as most contracts of employment do - " will cover costs of moving person to ......(cities name). If they leave within two years, will be expected to pay back the amount pro-rata...blah, blah. Being a suspicious South african my husband contacted the company and said "you do realise this relocation is all the way from South Africa, "yeah, and what's the problem with that?" Promise it means from East London - Brisbane will be covered.

His skill is in demand, so perhaps that does have a influence. He is a civil engineer.

Regards Alrae

Depends on Company.

Mine paid for tickets , $10000 for relocation, all visa costs, apartment in city for 28 days, car hire for 28 days.

Guess I am lucky :unsure: