Speech and Occupational Therapy

v1nc3nt

My wife and I would love to move to Australia. She has asked me to get some info on speech and occupational therapy for our Daughter.

She is currently recieving treatment in SA for this, and want to know if our move to Aus would affect this in any way. What would this cost us in Aus

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Vincent

I cannot answer your question, but if you go to the following website and send them a message, they may be able to give you the advice you require.

http://www.speechtherapy.com.au/

Mara

Hi.

We are based in Perth. My son goes to occupational therapy and my daughter goes to speech therapy. The initial assessments are the most expensive (between $150 - $250, including the written reports) but if you have these already from SA I am sure you would just have to show them a copy. Therapy sessions are $60 for S.T. for 45 mins. O.T. is $90 for a hour session. I suppose these could vary from place to place. If you need any more info, send me a PM and I will be happy to chat further. Maggie.

Maggie, thanks for that info!! Are you on medicare & does medicare cover this?

• 2 weeks later...
Maggie, thanks for that info!! Are you on medicare & does medicare cover this?

We do have medicare, but it does not cover all of these sessions. You do get 5 free sessions per year from the medicare rebate scheme. These have to be referred by the GP and you have to pay fully and then claim the rebate from medicare. I think it works out to $225 as a full rebate (that is all 5 sessions). The sessions can be O.T. Speech, physio,psych or a combination of these but no more than 5 sessions. You can apply again the next year through your GP. Hope that helps.