What to do?

Spider

Hi Everyone, <_<

This may be a silly q cause many people ask it...but my man and i are wanting to start the process to get into Oz...i guess i will start navigating my way around the immi site, not looking too bad...BUT

What worries me is employment???? :ilikeit: what did you guys do? and how was the process for anyone who wanted to immigrate with their boyfriend (been five and a half years) to ensure we go together and stay together - i don't know how these things go so i have no idea how to properly word what i want to know...pls bare with me...

:huh:

i'll appreciate any help and tips we can get, i will not go through an agent after the stories i've read...hehe :ilikeit:

Hi Chandi

Welcome to the forum, hope you find everything you need here.

Your boyfriend will be regarded as your spouse on your visa application on condition that you can prove that his is your "de facto" spouse, and that you have been living together for more than one year. We had to provide things like: wills naming each other as beneficiary, proof of joint property ownership (or rental agreement) joint bills such as telephone, rates etc. and statutory declarations from friends and family.

Unfortunately I can't help you with regards to the employment question: Perhaps if you gave us some idea of what fields you and your boyfriend are in then people will be able to give you some advice.

Good luck with your research.

Cindylou

Chandi,

My husband and I both got here without work and both had job offers in place after 2 weeks. However we are both engineers and there is a large demand. I know in our field and in general there is a lot of jobs available in Perth. We did not have a lot of reaction when we applied from South Africa but when we landed many people wanted to see us.

Hi guys,

well, i completed an Honours in Industrial Psychology and i'm currently in a position of change management on projects, and previously was part of designing and delivering a system so a lot of businss analysis...

My boyfriend is nearly finished his Honours in Brand Leadership at Vega and his undergrad is in Marketing and Management...

I guess it is easier to find work there than from here...

i am a bit confused by the gov website, but to be sure, what are the forms we need to be sure to complete and submit..i am reading the booklet but i do not want to miss anything...this is a scary thing to decide and do...do others feel this way

Hi Chandi,

You should be fine with those qualifacations and some experience in this field. Industrial Psychology is a highly transporable skill and won't be much different over here. In fact you might find that in some areas you are better qualified than most over here with your SA qual. Applying from over here is probably the best.

C'bug

Hey C'lou,

Thanks for the info on the de facto spouse req's - do you know if there are any similar restrictions on newly weds, do they also have to same burden of proof in these matters? How long do you need to be married to be safe?

Cheers

C'bug

Edited by chatterbug

Thanks for the info on the de facto spouse req's - do you know if there are any similar restrictions on newly weds, do they also have to same burden of proof in these matters? How long do you need to be married to be safe?

I dont think there are any restrictions on newly weds, my wife and I for example were together for a couple of years before we decided to apply for a PR visa. We did our homework regarding the de-facto partner thingie and decided that it would be better for us to get married first.

Which we did. In May 2003. Handed application in June 2003. Received PR visa July 2004.

No problems, no questions asked.

When I do think they will get suspicious is when one already has some kind of visa into Australia and then marries a South African shortly before the then new spouse applies for a visa to get into Australia.

This happened to my brother-in-law.

He received his PR visa when his parents got theirs as he was still under 21 and living with them (studying to become a dentist) so when they upped and left he stayed behind in order to complete his studies. So a couple of years later he met a girl, they moved in together and lived together for a couple of months before the Ozzies poached him with their regional plan thingie (get the dentists in and let them work for the state for a couple of years without first sitting through their local exam)...they got married a month or so before he left, so they had to apply for a temporary visa or spousal visa or something for his wife, and they called her in and did an interview with her to try and determine whether this was a business transaction or a fair dinkum marriage...they asked her all kinds of akward questions as well... :ilikeit:

might be because she is a couple of years older than him...although I highly doubt that was what flagged them for an interview...

Thanks...

Tee - but then if you got married just before you applied for your visa's then which visa appication and proces did you follow? And what if you partners (we have been for 5.5 years now), not married, but want to immigrate together? :ilikeit:

Hey C'lou,

Cheers

C'bug

Hi C'Bug

I was told by my agent that "to be safe" you should be married for a year - same as the requirement for a de facto relationship - prior to your visa grant (not application date).

And what if you partners (we have been for 5.5 years now), not married, but want to immigrate together? :ilikeit:

Chandi

If you're living together then you can apply with your boyfriend as your de facto spouse - if you check out the application form there is a tick box for this option. We are presently applying under this option, so if you need more detailed info than supplied in my previous post then PM me specific questions and I'll try to assist.

The interesting thing is that for PR a "same sex" relationship is given the same weight (and probably wait) as a heterosexual relationship - this doesn't apply for some of the other visas, which is being addressed at present.

C U Later

C'Lou

We applied as skilled independants, for PR visa's, I think it's 136's. We actually applied in my wife's name since she already had family in the country, a formal qualification in her line of work etc...

I just tagged along as the spouse <_<

The first step was to get all documents neccessary: English translated degree, unabridged birth certificates, unabridged marriage certificates etc (although we sent in the normal marriage certificate at the time of application), police clearance...everything you need is on the forms/booklets from immi.gov.au - just take the time to sit down and read through it a couple of times - it'll start to make sense eventually :unsure:

So before we could physically send the application in, my wife had to have her qualification verified by the relevant Australian authority in order to be able to qualify for the 60 points on the MODL list...

Once we received that letter we filled the forms in, made certified copies from all the certificates etc, and mailed it to her family here in Oz who checked everything for us and then made sure it arrived in Adelaide. Then the long wait began, we received an email from DIMIA - the "dont call us, we'll call you!" email...

Later on they sent us an envelope with further instructions on extra information they needed:

I needed to go for an English test (which I failed obviously - it's late, I'm tired I need to go to bed lol)

We had to go for medicals

and some other odds and ends...nothing serious...

We sent the rest of the stuff off, did the tests etc, and a few weeks later we received an email stating that our PR visas had been granted! Cool stuff.

Easy.

Really dont need an agent.

We also got told the story about being married for at least a year to be safe - this is just for the agents to be "safe" (ie get paid as quickly as possible) in my opinion, the worst thing that could happen is you and your husband/wife could be called in for an interview at the consulate...big deal. If your marriage is genuine, or your defacto relationship genuine, you shouldn't have to worry. The ozzies arent going to slap a big red "declined" on your app just because your app is missing some info...It's a process, they know it, with communication happening between the parties on a need by need basis, and only once all the avenues have been explored and all options exhausted might they reach a final decision and decline it...even then you've got the option to have the minister of immigration intervene personally...

So you've got nothing to lose! :-)

Go for it!

Hi BT

How long did it take from your application to when your visa was granted?

Thanks!

Nikki, we received our confirmation email from DIMIA round about the end of June 2003.

It basically confirmed our application was received and introduced our case officer and her contact details, and stated that they will be in contact with us for any extra info needed, and we are welcome to contact them if we have any questions, but should we not have any sort of outcome in the next 50 weeks, we should contact them and follow up.

Then naturally after 50 weeks we hadn't received any word on our applications from them (apart from the medical stuff and english test etc we had to do), so we emailed them to follow up.

Our application as you will notice was submitted during Aus's financial year end, and our case officer was very apologetic in that she hadnt been able to give us an answer because of the year end stuff keeping everybody busy and so on...She promised to follow up on it and two weeks later we got our visas!!

So it basically took us from end of June 2003 to 16 July 2004...52 weeks...I think they aim for around the 50 week target when doing a standard skilled independant PR visa...thats the feeling we got in any case...

Edited by BeeTee

Thanks for the info BeeTee! It really helps with the timeline planning I am trying to do.

Thanks for the info BeeTee! It really helps with the timeline planning I am trying to do.

No problemo!! Thats why we hang around the forum....(issit?! :o )

LOL! that reminds me of that stupid Buschells add...

Issit as good....

/me walks off into the distance singing that irritating song...

issit as good as Buschells...issit as good as Buschells...issit as goooooooooooooood....as Buscheeeeeeeeeeeellls...

:ilikeit:

Edited by BeeTee

Hi All

So if we apply as spouses (not married...) then who should be the main applicant? I assume we both still send our qualifications off to be assessed by the relevant authorities?

Ciao

Chand's :ilikeit:

The main applicant should be the one you guys are most comfortable with in getting the most points...it really doesn't matter who the main applicant is...only the main applicant needs to get his/her qualification assessed...

Edited by BeeTee