Educators in Queensland that's from SA?

Guest Joranda

Guest Joranda

We've decided to emigrate and by what we've gathered I will be the main applicant on a 175 visa.

I currently teach English first language and Afrikaans additional language. I realise the Afrikaans will not be needed over there. I'm also qualified to teach Business Studies and I do voice training - i.e. singing. :ilikeit:

Please can any let me know what the employment for educators is like in Queensland? For that matter, anywhere else in Australia would also be interesting information.

Regards

Joranda

Hi

You probably know that to teach in Aus, the first step is to register. In Queensland, you register with the Queensland College of Teachers www.qct.edu.au

This is a process whereby they assess your qualifications, experience and your suitability to teach (police clearance cert needed)

State schools will have their jobs listed at www.education.qld.gov.au

Many Private schools use a recruitment agency called www.smartteachers.co.uk

It could be very useful for you to browse this site and get an idea of vacancies.

What typically does happen is that most teachers start with supply teaching - that is filling in as a temp.

The per day rate is quite good and schools get to know you and you should be able to secure a permanent position.

I would also suggest that as an English teacher, you could consider the TAFE Colleges/ private tertiary colleges where many are learning to speak English.

Hopefully these websites will give you an idea of how many teaching jobs are available.

Regards Alrae

Hi Alrae

Thanks for the info. Smart Teachers looks great.

We finally have our Police Clearance Certs, so we can register with the Queensland College.

All forms filled in and ready to post.

The latest Hudson Highlights is out: http://www.hphs.co.za/pdf/hudsonh08a.pdf

Looks great, and so you might want to catch up on some old school news.

Cheerio

Sean

Guest Joranda
Hi

You probably know that to teach in Aus, the first step is to register. In Queensland, you register with the Queensland College of Teachers www.qct.edu.au

This is a process whereby they assess your qualifications, experience and your suitability to teach (police clearance cert needed)

State schools will have their jobs listed at www.education.qld.gov.au

Many Private schools use a recruitment agency called www.smartteachers.co.uk

It could be very useful for you to browse this site and get an idea of vacancies.

What typically does happen is that most teachers start with supply teaching - that is filling in as a temp.

The per day rate is quite good and schools get to know you and you should be able to secure a permanent position.

I would also suggest that as an English teacher, you could consider the TAFE Colleges/ private tertiary colleges where many are learning to speak English.

Hopefully these websites will give you an idea of how many teaching jobs are available.

Regards Alrae

I'll definately look into the College/tertiary thing.

What's scary is a friend of mine who has teacher friends in Oz said that you cannot survive on a teacher's salary alone. Something I've suspected for a while...

I'll definately look into the College/tertiary thing.

What's scary is a friend of mine who has teacher friends in Oz said that you cannot survive on a teacher's salary alone. Something I've suspected for a while...

Hi

I think most people here rely on a dual income. There is a huge difference between survive and comfortable, i suppose. If you have to survive initially on one salary, you will do it. Many people have stories of how they "survived" the arrival. If you have a look at Nilo's reply to monthly/weekly cost of living costs here in Brisbane posted quite recently, it should give you a fair idea of costs.

You have children, I take it and obviously what schooling you choose will influence that cost.

Regards Alrae