Most prevelant Visa type for SA people

Hi

I am curious to see under which Visa classes SA's are getting into Aus, this might be an obvious answer, but could we do a poll on this forum?

Cheers

Edited by G72

we came over on aRSMS visa..regional sponsored migration scheme. You get sponsored by an employer, get to stay in that job for 2 years, but he cant fire you for 2 years and then you are free to go where you want. Pros: you have PR from the word go..so no worries about having to apply for that once you are here, can apply for citizenship after 2 years, medicare, centrelink benefits and so on. We are 12 weeks from the end of our two years...but who is counting :unsure:

Hi G72

I initially suggested a "demography" of our members which would include "visa type" but then couldn't work out how to set the poll up - turns out I was trying to do it in the "Foyer" and it would appear that you can't have a poll there!

I don't mind carrying on with the idea but would hate for you to think I stole your thunder!

Cindylou

We came over on a 457 visa because it is faster and my employer wanted me here ASAP. Employer sponsored, but temporary for 4 years, you therefor have no state benifits and pay little moire tax. Employee and employer have certain obligations, you must stay with the employer while on this visa. My employer is now busy also sponsoring us under the RSMS scheme mentioned above, so we will have PR in about a month :)

Approximate timeline: 457 - If all is OK with papers and medicals, 2 weeks from lodgement to answer ( myne took 4 days ) and we arrived in Adelaide 3 months after lodging my 457 application ( most hectic 3 months of my life, had to wrap everyting up, sell house etc etc and move ! ). RSMS - if all is OK with employer and your application, including full medicals for all, then maximum 4-6 weeks from lodgement to answer I believe. Many Saffers arrive here on the 457 and then take it further to PR and citizenship with various other visas once here.

We began by preparing for a business skills subclass 160 business owner visa application this would give us up to 4 yrs TR but we can apply for PR after 2 yrs on an 890 as soon as we qualify ... ito reaching certain levels of turnover, assets & incl. full time employment for 2 Australian PR's for at least 12 months prior to the 890 application

We have decided that the due to the costs implications especially of the 2 employees (even at min wage we are looking at AU$100 000 !) so will be be making our TR application on the business skills subclass 163 state sponsored business owner visa.

This means that we must decide where we are going to spend the 1st 2 - 4 yrs & submit an approved business plan to the state in which we intend residing. Once we reach certain criteria we can apply for PR under the 182 subclass or 180 (back to employing 2 aussies) but the pressure on that side to succeed is slightly less.

ASP, how long did it take to get your RSMS?

Sjoe Otto...in my boekie..baie gou.. :) umm let me see...hubby's employer lodged his part of the paperwork around end of April 2004, we got notified of his approval and told to lodge our application and go for medicals end of May 2004, went for medicals 10 of June 2004, got our visas 10 Aug 2004 and left SA 10 Okt 2004 So from lodgement of Employer application till issueing of Visas...just over 3 months. I dont think that is too bad for a PR even if it is in Alice :unsure:

ASP, the same here, I think after I lodged my info at Canberra it took 4 weeks, it would have taken just over two if I havent neglegted to forward my original clearance certificates. 4 weeks for Permanent Residency in a civilised country - not bad me thinks.........

Hi

We applied for PR and our papers where sent about a month ago.

I am trying to get a 457 in the mean time. :) We want to get there asap :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi G72

I initially suggested a "demography" of our members which would include "visa type" but then couldn't work out how to set the poll up - turns out I was trying to do it in the "Foyer" and it would appear that you can't have a poll there!

I don't mind carrying on with the idea but would hate for you to think I stole your thunder!

Cindylou

Hi Cindylou

Please go ahead - I like your idea.

Cheers

G72