Computer: Buy here or there?

polly

With the wonderful 'load shedding', our motherboard blew. We had a good machine, but we can't find aa replacement motherboard so we will have to replace the whole thing. (currently borrowing a friends Duron. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Slow!)

We were thinking of rather buying new there, but from reading between the lines it seems it might be a good idea to buy here? But we also worry about warranty. And we can't really take the pc on the plane, and I will need it immediately since I will be working (and chatting) from home.

Any advice / opinions? What are pc prices like there?

We had a good machine, but we can't find aa replacement motherboard so we will have to replace the whole thing.

Any advice / opinions? What are pc prices like there?

Wait........before you buy a new machine,go online,google the manufacturer,and see if you can get the EXACT same motherboard shipped in from the USA.Hell of a lot cheaper.

Oh yes - and get a UPS,that'll save your machine next time there's an outage.

Ditto for laptop.

I bought an external hard drive and whacked both my PC and Laptop data on there. Also serves as a backup for both. And you can take the external anywhere.

I would also say, if you worried about waranties, rather wait and buy one over there. Did you check for prices online in OZ?

Unless you buy a brand name PC it might work. Just check the waranty. It is easier to buy a brand name laptop than brand name PC from an international waranty perspective.

Hubby gets a laptop from work. Our home machine I want to be big and strong <_< Because we use it for gaming and I do a lot of my photo-editing etc. on it. Cost too much for the equivalent in a laptop.

Haven't really checked prices. Figured since we will be earning dollars...

Our biggest problem with the motherboard replacement is that the graphics card (6800GT) is a AGP card. Don't want to have to buy a new graphics card AND new motherboard (might as well replace the whole machine then). Don't get motherboards with that and that can take the kind of memory we have.

Thanks for the advice. Think we will buy something as soon as we get there. We can't wait for it to come over in the container in any case and I am worried what damage travel will do.

Edited by polly

Guest mrs mupersan

Not sure about gaming on Mac, but the photo & video editing should be a whole lot better. Mac in ZA was never an option for us as it was just too damn expensive. But here it's SO much cheaper - directly comparible to PC. So that's something else to consider - we difinitely would've if we'd known.

We've got PCs & laptops coming out of our ears!!! We've got a PC and laptop which we brought over and another PC coming over in the container. Plus we did what biker did and bought a mobile hard drive for storage & backup which we took on the plane with us. And now both of us get a laptop for work!!!

But seriously, we're kicking outselves for wasting the space and money on bringing our computers with us - there's so much variety and the prices really aren't that bad. We would definitely have bought a Mac if we'd known....

I would recommend you buy a PC over a mac since you can install both the Mac Operating System (leopard-Apple now uses intel chips) and Vista on a PC by partitioning your hard drive (google it), anyway if you decide to buy a PC install a power supply unit with high wattage since that was also the reason your motherboard blew (you need to keep your PC as cool as possible).

• 2 weeks later...

Its a well known fact that all Apple and especially Mac users are gay. :thumbdown:

So buy a PC reasonable ones seem to run around $1000. I you are coming to Brisbane I can hook you up with a mate.

Edited by Duane W