Quiet "country" suburbs in Perth??

Beatle

I am going to be moving to Perth and need to find a place to buy/ rent. Can anyone please advice me on what suburbs to look at? I have never been much of a “city girl†so I don’t want a place close to the center of town. I’m more of a country girl and therefore I am looking for a place that is quiet, where I can go horse riding etc. probably on the outskirts of town somewhere, but obviously where it is safe. I don’t have children and will be moving to Perth with my husband. If anyone has any advice I’m all ears. I should be getting to Perth by the middle of this year.

Cheers

Kelly

Kelly

You would want to consider the Hills area, some suburbs are Kalamanda, Gooseberry Hill, Lesmurdie, Darlington. There are many more

L

I am going to be moving to Perth and need to find a place to buy/ rent. Can anyone please advice me on what suburbs to look at? I have never been much of a “city girl†so I don’t want a place close to the center of town. I’m more of a country girl and therefore I am looking for a place that is quiet, where I can go horse riding etc. probably on the outskirts of town somewhere, but obviously where it is safe. I don’t have children and will be moving to Perth with my husband. If anyone has any advice I’m all ears. I should be getting to Perth by the middle of this year.

Cheers

Kelly

The Hills are to the east of the Perth airport and you can get a house on a big block (erf) relatively cheaply. We would have stayed there if we didn't have small kids. And there seem to be a lot of people who have horses here, I see lots when I am driving around. If you need more suburb names, let me know.

Cheers

Sue

If you want to be closer to the coast North of the River

Look at Wanneroo / Gnagara /Neerabup/Nowergup and Yanchep

South of the river look at Baldivis

Animal excersize beach where you can take you horse for a swim in the ocean is at Hillarys.

Hi Kerry

Visit www.realestate.com.au or www.reiwa.com.au or www.realestatewa.com.au or google real estate in Western Australia. Good Luck !!

PS : Keep in mind, if you rent through an agent, they show the houses on their own times and not on yours,,, you have to slot in on their terms and times and,,, if you find a place, you apply, pay a holding fee equivalent to one weeks rent and when you sign the contract, you pay a bond (deposit) equivalent to six weeks rent.

All the best,

Amanda

:whome:

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned under "Living in Canberra" that we also visited Perth. Perth was on our list of cities to look for jobs but after visitng it, I had to scrap it from my list, it is just not my cup of tea. It is just another big city, not my taste. We concentrated more on the south when we looked at neighborhoods, becuase I always said that if we move to Perth, I would like to stay in City of Armadale. Well, we drove there and the websites state that it is 30 minutes from the CBD, well, I guess that is as the crow fly becuase it is definitely not by car 30 minutes, it is further away. The city of Armadale is beautiful with nice looked after houses, a train that runs from there to Perth. Its shopping centres also looks great with a big Coles and a big Woolworths. Unfortunately when we were there, it was on a Sunday and the shops were not open yet so I cannot comment on how it looks on the inside.

Other 2 small towns west of the City of Armadale that are also worth looking at, are Beelair and Munster. There are lots of development going on in these two towns. Also, I saw only brick houses here. I even saw one which were under construction which had inside walls built with bricks. Munster is very close to the sea. One will not be able to walk to the beach, but it is a very short drive, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. One can easily get onto the Rockingham highway to go to Perth.

Some pictures of Beelair and Munster:

post-2197-1208015096.jpg

post-2197-1208015133.jpg

post-2197-1208015171.jpg

Regards,

Retha

Here are some pictures of the City of Armadale.

post-2197-1208041794.jpg

post-2197-1208041816.jpg

post-2197-1208041834.jpg

post-2197-1208041848.jpg

It was so hectic in the end before we left Canada that Iforgot to take the information of Seville Grove, suburb in the City of Armadale, so we were not able to find it when we looked at Armadale. But here is a link to it if you are interested in the City of Armadale:

http://www.landcorp.com.au/pls/portal/docs...TH-NATURE_0.PDF

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We are thinking of moving to Perth. We are looking for a place to stay in the country with between 30 minutes and 1 hour train commute to the city. We're looking for peace and quiet with a block nothing smaller than 2000m2. We're also thinking of building once we buy. We don't have children yet, but will in the future. I've had a look on the web and really like RoleyStone and the town of Armadale. Is this safe and nice areas? I'd love having wild animals in our garden etc. but would prefer not living in hill-billy-ville. We're very reclusive people and not very social, so being close to shops etc is not important at all. We're both professionals so we'll probably look at around $500 000 to $700 000 when we buy. Any suggestions on areas, as we would love to rent in the right area before buying.

Thanks

I mentioned under "Living in Canberra" that we also visited Perth. Perth was on our list of cities to look for jobs but after visitng it, I had to scrap it from my list, it is just not my cup of tea. It is just another big city, not my taste. We concentrated more on the south when we looked at neighborhoods, becuase I always said that if we move to Perth, I would like to stay in City of Armadale. Well, we drove there and the websites state that it is 30 minutes from the CBD, well, I guess that is as the crow fly becuase it is definitely not by car 30 minutes, it is further away. The city of Armadale is beautiful with nice looked after houses, a train that runs from there to Perth. Its shopping centres also looks great with a big Coles and a big Woolworths. Unfortunately when we were there, it was on a Sunday and the shops were not open yet so I cannot comment on how it looks on the inside.

Other 2 small towns west of the City of Armadale that are also worth looking at, are Beelair and Munster. There are lots of development going on in these two towns. Also, I saw only brick houses here. I even saw one which were under construction which had inside walls built with bricks. Munster is very close to the sea. One will not be able to walk to the beach, but it is a very short drive, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. One can easily get onto the Rockingham highway to go to Perth.

[

Regards,

Retha

Dear Estee

I would just like to point out ton Rethas post, that Armadale/beeliar and Munster are suburbs of Perth, they are not small towns!!!!

personally, I am not a great fan of Armadale, I certainly think there are better areas to consider spending $700 000.00 on a property. I think that Roleystone is a great area , it reminds me of the Midland meader in Natal.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Thanks!!

I'm crazy about the Natal midlands and if I could immigrate to a place that looks like that area I would be in my element. Thank you again.

Hi Esthee

Just thought I'd mention that if you look on the Transperth website on the home page, there is a route planner. This will give you an idea of how long it will to take to get somehwere in Perth for example to the CBD from any train station. So if you are looking at a particular suburb and want to know how long it will take to commute this is really helpful.

Hope the house hunting goes well!

Cheers

Sue

Thanks!!

I'm crazy about the Natal midlands and if I could immigrate to a place that looks like that area I would be in my element. Thank you again.

eestee

Just bear in mind that in summer its not nice and green like the Natal meander.......................

As said above the new high speed train line has just been completed which runs from Perth all the way down to Mandurah. It is a 70km distance. Costs about $8.40 a return trip and takes less than an hour. So look at anything along the train route. Although $700 000 doesnt buy you much in Mandurah - maybe a smallish 3 bedroom house on a 400 sq mt block.

Mandurah is the most expesnive city in Australia and is on par with London and Las Angelas. The prices here are astronomical.

You can read the full article here http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...5013244,00.html but some quotes:

MANDURAH is the most expensive city in Australia - and now the coastal commuter town 74km south of Perth is right up there with Los Angeles as the sixth most expensive place to live in the world.

And Perth property prices are on a par with London.

The study found that LA was the least affordable place to live in the world but because Australia has the most cities - 18 - in the top 50, it is the least affordable nation for housing.

Sydney is ranked the 11th least affordable city in the survey - and the Sunshine Coast is equal 7th with San Jose.

"Australia (with New Zealand) has the most unaffordable housing in the surveyed nations," economist and report author Wendell Cox said.

"There are no affordable markets in Australia and there are no moderately unaffordable markets. Twenty-five of the 28markets are rated severely unaffordable.

"All of the large capital cities (Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide) are rated severely unaffordable. The best ratings are seriously unaffordable in three smaller markets, Maitland (NSW), Ballarat and Bendigo (both in Victoria)."

"On average, Australian families are forced to spend 6.1 times their entire household income to buy a typical home compared to 3.1 times in Canada and 3.6times in the US, and that's before interest charges.

"In Sydney, the multiple is 8.6 and Melbourne is 7.3, but it's even higher in some of Australia's fastest-growing cities, including Mandurah, (9.5), Sunshine Coast (9.3) and the Gold Coast (8.6)."

'

Esthee

Look at Lesmurdie and kalamunda. It is 20 km south east of Perth city. Look at those suburbs using property sites like www.reiwa.com.au or www.realestate,com.au. These are in the Perth Hills and beautiful. You can get a decent house on a 2000 square m plot(1/2 acre) for 550K - 700K.

Personally I find Armadale a bit "hilbilly ' ish" - sorry if I offend anybody.

Personally I find Armadale a bit "hilbilly ' ish" - sorry if I offend anybody.

Very nicely put Frenchy!!!

Hi all you beautiful Perth people!

Ready for Saturdays rugby?

We all know we can't compare Australian and South African crime rates as even the most dangerous place in Aus, is still better than the best security complex in SA, but to Perth's standards, Armadale has some of the higher buglary and assualt rates in the Perth metro. Have a look at the 2007 stats and decide (attached).

You mention horse riding. Well, we've attended the Seafood & Shiraz festival last weekend in the Swan Valley and there are plenty of small blocks that offer all of that. Really awesome and you can be on the beach within half an hour.

Enjoy!

PerthCStat.xls

Thanks all you friendly Perth people :ilikeit: I can't wait to come join you there, and will definitely look at the other suburbs you're mentioning. It's really difficult to get a sense of the place by just using realestate.com.au. Enjoy the rugby on Saterday. :ilikeit:

So photos of Saturdays Swan Valley excursion where horse riding is in a plenty...

And it's only 20km from where I stay in Carine (north of river).

post-5777-1216201401.jpg

post-5777-1216201536.jpg

post-5777-1216201631.jpg

post-5777-1216201784.jpg

Edited by Almost Aussie

Beuatiful pics... is Kalamanda as nice??

Wow thanks for the pics!! I was really scared that I would never be able to see pretty green grass ever again ;) I truly am ignorant of how the vegetation looks over there in Aus :D I'm probably the african equivalent of overseas people looking for the lions when they land at Jhb :D Just me looking for the desert....

The hills suburbs have their special country charm but two negatives come to mind. There is very real risk from summer bushfires and the refreshing seabreezes that cool the rest of Perth in summer don't get to the hills so aircon is a must. Parkerville, Darlington, Mundaring, Brigadoon and Roleystone are some of the prettiest areas around.

Beuatiful pics... is Kalamanda as nice??

Sorry, haven't been there yet...