AMC Cookware

MMF

To all the Ozzies AND especially people in Perth area.

I would like to know if one gets AMC Cookware in Perth and how much it costs. It is my anniversary on the 1st of April and Hubby promised me AMC. I would like to know should i buy in SA or not. Thanks

Also who has used it and are you happy with it?

Dis nog die een ding wat ek altyd begeer het, so 'n stel kookpotte. Ek wil ook graag weet, want anders stuur ek Dear Hubby beslis nog op sy SA trip om te loop potte koop, ek sweer.

My mum purchased a set of AMC pots when I was 11. I inherited these pots from her and I am now over 40... so the pots I am using are over 30 years old and still perfect!

The odd handle is broken but other than that they are perfect. (Apparently you can have them 'serviced' for about R100 per pot... they polish them and replace handles etc)

I am a keen cook and have had a variety of other makes (Jamie Oliver, Le Creuset - imported French pots etc etc etc). None of the other pots have lasted the same as the AMC have!

So... in my opinion you simply cannot purchase better quality!

So, if you can't get them in Oz... don't leave SA without them!

It will be the first thing going into the container.

Bought a bigger pan recently and I asked about availability outside RSA. The lady was quick to assure me they will gladly export the pots via airmail to your destination. If you earn $ just think how much cheaper they will be :)

Toe my vrou nog 'n jong kat was (voor sy my ontmoet het) toe koop sy vir haar 'n groot stel vir R300. Dit was so 37 jaar gelede. Toe was R300 nog baie geld. Sy het die stel afbetaal oor 2 jaar. My ma het toevallig omtrent dieselfde tyd vir haarself ook 'n stel gekoop. My vrou het die potte al die jare van ons getroude lewe (33 jr) gebruik. Net voor ons Oz toe gekom, het so 2 jaar gelede, het ons die stel laat mooimaak en nog 'n 2 potte bygekoop. Was R1800 gewees vir die revamp. 'n Bargain, want hy was glo so iets soos R14 000 werd. My ma se stel was al die jare net vertoonstukke. My dogter erf toe die lot. My skoonseun bring dit toe van RSA af as hand bagasie in 'n rugsak. Was 18kg swaar. Toe die doeana hom moelikheid gee, sê hy dat hy 'n kok is en dit is sy potte waarmee hy sy beroep beoefen. Hulle los hom toe.

Koop daai potte. Hulle is 'n plaas se geld maar hulle gewig in goud werd.

Hi

Sorry to disappoint, but I have not foound AMC coocware in Perth. I have had my AMC pots for 30 years and love them to bits BUT they dont cook great on gas stoves, even if you turn the flame down low, the base is so heavy that it does not cool so food burns !!!!!.

So yes buy your pots in SA, but remember that you will need thinner based pots for the gas stoves and when you remodel your kitchen and have an electric stove top, you can use the wonderful AMC POTS. Also remember to bring a supply of the Stainless steel polish.

Cheers

Enrica

Hi Enrica and all

Thank you for all your input. I never though of the gas stove cinario, as this changes my mind a bit. I am currently using the old HART pots and are sick of them. Tell me do the BAUER rage cook on gas stoves?

Hi Foncused

We're in exactly same scenario :ilikeit: : inherited (from gramps), 30 years old etc. Pots need a little bit of TLC.

Any idea who in Gauteng revamps AMC ? :grads: ...phone no etc

Will be a great help

Thanx

W

My mum purchased a set of AMC pots when I was 11. I inherited these pots from her and I am now over 40... so the pots I am using are over 30 years old and still perfect!

The odd handle is broken but other than that they are perfect. (Apparently you can have them 'serviced' for about R100 per pot... they polish them and replace handles etc)

I am a keen cook and have had a variety of other makes (Jamie Oliver, Le Creuset - imported French pots etc etc etc). None of the other pots have lasted the same as the AMC have!

So... in my opinion you simply cannot purchase better quality!

So, if you can't get them in Oz... don't leave SA without them!

Any idea who in Gauteng revamps AMC ? :ilikeit: ...phone no etc

AMC - PRETORIA

Tel : (012) 440-2236 Fax : (012) 440-9728

Kingsley Ctr, 481 Church St, Arcadia, Pretoria

Hope that helps!

Foncused

I am in dire need for new pots. What make do you buy here in OZ. I have been searching for weeks now but have no idea.

Wendy

Edited by wendy

Hi Enrica and all

Thank you for all your input. I never though of the gas stove cinario, as this changes my mind a bit. I am currently using the old HART pots and are sick of them. Tell me do the BAUER rage cook on gas stoves?

The Bauer cook range works fairly well for most things. Problem is when the teflon coating scratches /wears down, there is no one to resurface these pots.

I really like the La Creuset range of pots, only problem is I find them a bit to heavy to work with. So presently I am using a range of pots I bought at Ikea

which were reasonably priced . They seem to do the job on the gas stoves, and if I ruin them, I dont feel to bad. I have asked some Aussie Friends about which pots are the best to use, but have had no joy. Most people have varied ideas regarding a good set of pots. So, all I can say is that I am still trying to find a decent set of pots for gas stove. My AMC pots are fine for boiling water , but certainly not for something that needs slow cooking.

Edited by enrica

To all the Ozzies AND especially people in Perth area.

I would like to know if one gets AMC Cookware in Perth and how much it costs. It is my anniversary on the 1st of April and Hubby promised me AMC. I would like to know should i buy in SA or not. Thanks

Our South African AMC range is now manufactured in Atlantis industrial area here in Cape Town.

They are good,make no mistake,but they are not as "panzer" solid as the German manufactured AMC pots from years ago.

The steel alloy specifications as well as the base and wall gauges have decreased.

They are just relying on their past good name,but the standards have definitely dropped.

Hi all,

Don't know if you can find them in Oz, but I have a set of Tefal pots and pans I've bought out here in Middle East, and they are great!!

Thinner base than AMC, and non stick (as all are these days!) but brilliant.

Even have a little tell tale spot in the middle of each to show when pot is hot enough to start cooking in!

Lovely!!!

Give them a try - not super expensive and good value for money!!

Hi

I have looked at some Baccarat Pots and they do not seem to bad. They have a coper base for even heating and is very heavy. Have decided to get a few of them. I will let you know how I go with them. Wanted some Jamie Oliver cookware but can't always have what you want.

Wendy

Hi daar.

My man het vir my die hele Cookware stel gekoop van Jamie Olivier by MYERS.

Dis die beste potte wat ek nog ooit gehad het.Sal dit soos goud oppas.Die kos proe skoon lekkerder :lol:

Ek sal dit defnitief aanbeveel.

Urs

Edited by Mara

Thanx F - great help - will definitely use them ! :ilikeit:

AMC - PRETORIA

Tel : (012) 440-2236 Fax : (012) 440-9728

Kingsley Ctr, 481 Church St, Arcadia, Pretoria

Hope that helps!

Foncused

If you are already in Australia, do have a look at SCANPAN cookware, easily just as good as if not better than AMC Classic. I have them and have found them absolutely excellent.

Weet julle, my man het vir my n stel cast iron potte gekoop, die soort wat jy met deksel en al in die oond kan sit, of op die stoof kan gebruik soos n gewone pot.

Die kos smaak ekstra lekker in hulle, veral iets soet soos pampoen wat jy braai of patats. Maalvleis smaak ook hemels daarin.

Ek weet nie hoekom nie, maar jy kry nie dieselfde smaak met n gewone stainless steel pot nie...

Maar ek moet se, AMC is maar net goeie kwaliteit, ek het nou net vir my twee daarvan gekoop, en hulle is maar net die beste.

Groete

Tania

Ek gebruik ook Scanpan soos Mara. Hulle is nogal duur maar in my opinie die prys werd. Hulle is redelik swaar gewigswys en is amper soos 'cast iron'. Die beste ding van Scanpan is dat hulle 'non-stick' is maar die 'non-stick' was nooit af nie - maak nie saak hoe hard jy skrop nie - nie dat jy hard hoef te skrop nie want die kos sit nie vas nie.

Ek koop 1 pan of pot per jaar om my versameling op te bou (kan nie bekostig om 'n hele stel op een slag aan te skaf nie)

Dankie aan almal se raad, kan julle net bevestig of SCANPAN op gasstowe lekker werk.

Hi MMF

Yes Scanpan works well on gas stoves, however, I would use a diffuser plate over the naked flame to protect my pricy Scanpan, not necessary but something I would do.