On arrival accommodation

ria

Hi! Me again. We'll be arriving shortly before or after New Year 2007 in Adelaide and need cheap accommodation or (someones lounge floor!) until we have secured a rental in Mawson Lakes. About a week? There's 5 of us between 1 and 40.

Is it possible to secure a rental house from RSA or does one have to be there physically?

Advice on initial accommodation please!

Hi Ria

Firstly, I am not from Adelaide, so I can only give general advice.

I think it would be impossible to secure a rental home from RSA. Apart from all the forms and stuff that they want completed, it can be a case of hirer beware. I would never accept an agent's word for it that a place is 'clean', I would want to see for myself. Their 'clean' and our 'clean' differs by a huge amount.

I have suggested to people coming on their LSD that they make use of the backpackers as a cheap means of accommodation. The backpackers in Australia is clean, tidy, and very well kept, can just be a bit noisy at times. They have private accommodation as well, you do not have to be in a dorm room. Anyway, have a look

http://www.adelaidebackpackers.com.au/adel...backpackers.htm

Good luck!

Mara

CLICK HERE

:unsure:

It will be very difficult to secure a rental before you arrive. The rental market in Adelaide is very cutthroat - several tenants bidding for the same properties - it's a landlord's market out here and there is a massive shortage of good rental properties. About 0.3 % vacancy rate at the moment - Advertiser article last week....

Any particular reason why it has to be in Mawson Lakes?

PS: a week in my opinion is too short to secure a rental, it hardly gives the agent time to contact your references, plus allow all the other prospective tenants to put in their bids, then present all the information to the landlord, so they can decide who they want.... Usually the lanslord will instruct the agent to show the property until a certain date, then present all the offers for them to consider... it's not first in, first served, I'm afraid.

Edited by Annette

Ria,

I know of someone that might be able to help, they have a furnished flat above their house their kids used to use when at Uni, now out of the house. I am finding out as we speak, but cannot promise anything. Will let you know if anything positive happens. You can stay in back packers inn's, but they are very basic and often have shared toilets etc. Depending on your budget, maybe a furnished apartment hotel like Pacific International on Frome street. We stayed there for 2 weeks when we arrived and a 2 bedroom apartment cost about $ 220 per day. My work however picket up the bill. Alternatively there are several Motor inn's and Motels around the City that might be more affordable, some at around $ 70 per day I saw today. Alternatively you may consider renting a trailer or chalet ( called bungalo's here ) in one of several caravan parks around the city. Let me know if you want me to send you a few names.

Hi Marius,

Is jy dieselfde Marius wat my BAIE vrae oor Adelaide geantwoord het? Op email MPR????

Ons sal graag die garage huur. Waar is dit?

Lekkerbly,

Ria

Een en dieselfde persoon ja. Ek het nog info vir julle per PM aan gestuur.