What about my dogchildren?

ria

Hi!

I made enquiries at Kerunga Kennels and was quoted approx R40 000 for the total costs of the 7 months quarantine here and in Oz. My 2 dachsies are 12 and 11 and I think it's too expensive as well as too cruel to put them through such an ordeal. However, how does one find a LOVING home for 2 elderly doggies who are part of our family and not just pets. It breaks my heart thinking of all the goodby's ahead of us.

Ria , thats the hardest part of leaving. How are you going to call them from Oz and just say hello? How do they understand that you hvae to go? We had two SPCA animals and one maltreated half wild creature that I caught on a farm. Especially my dog had a really bad time in his life, and he was my oldest son. We couldnt find the right people for all three, so luckily my parents took them. This isnt any advice, except for good luck for the hardest part of the move.

And the pics are of what we left behind - Attie, Minnie and Otto the dog (where I took me name from)

Hi Ria and Otto

What beautiful pictures Otto! That is all I have as well, of my two adoring pussycats that were left behind!

I wanted to have them put down, but that so upset my son, that he found a home for them.

To be downright honest, I still regret to this day that I allowed them to go, I think of them constantly, even after thirteen years, and offer daily prayers, that they were well cared for. Unfortunately, we were not able to keep in contact with their new carers. Never mind how often I tell myself that cats are independent animals and that all they need is a warm bed and food, my heart tells me differently.

I am so hard on myself now, that in eight years my present two cats have only been in kennels twice, mostly we go on leave separately, so that one of us is here to look after them.

Stupid, I know, but it is as if I am atoning for abandoning the other two!

Go figure!

Mara

Hi!

I made enquiries at Kerunga Kennels and was quoted approx R40 000 for the total costs of the 7 months quarantine here and in Oz. My 2 dachsies are 12 and 11 and I think it's too expensive as well as too cruel to put them through such an ordeal. However, how does one find a LOVING home for 2 elderly doggies who are part of our family and not just pets. It breaks my heart thinking of all the goodby's ahead of us.

We were in the same boat as you having to leave behind two dog children. Sacha was 4 year old Golden Retriever and she was adopted by a good friend where she still today is the light of their home.

My problem was Blue-an elderly 9 year old Great Dane. I made a pact with the Universe-help me with Blue and I will reciprocate on the other side of the world and adopt TWO dogs from the pound.

Low and behold Great Dane Rescue came to the rescue and Blue spent his last year on earth in a wonderful home.

We have since adopted two dogs from the pound- the one was from the "golden Oldie" section. her name is Lulu and she is a poodle !They have filled our home with so much love.

Good Luck on your quest.

Hi!

Otto, your animals are LOVELY! I am glad they could stay with your parents. Is that a duck? Do you have new pets now?

Ria,

No pets now, we are renting a place and the landlord is not "pet friendly" . The duck is a cement statue of a "tarenslak" , a tarenslak is a cross between a slak and a tarentaal :unsure:

Edited by otto

Hi Ria,

We also couldn't believe the costs involved, we left our persian cat behind, luckily my parents in law are looking after him and we are able to go back and see him and we get updates and little video snippets and photo's. We still miss Gumbi but we have two lovely spoodles (cross 'tween a Cocker spaniel and a miniature poodle), Chelsea and Jazz, over here to fill the void! The are just the most adorable little things.

It is never easy!

Doggie BUG

I think most people know by now that my babies are in quarantine. They are doing more than fine, picking up weight would you believe, only 3 months left and then they are home, YAY!!!!! Can't wait

Here's another thread on the same and some more details of my experiences with quarantine and my beagle babies

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=747&hl=

They were with Keringa in Jo'burg and are in Sydney at the moment.

Cheers

Here are the babies I left behind!! It is ok I survived! I know they are happy where they are living now!! If I can do it anyone can!

post-3-1153743676.jpg

post-3-1153743719.jpg

Hi Ria,

I am still trying to make the difficult decision whether to take my 2 babies over with me or to find them a loving home... I have 2 Cocker Spaniels... one Golden (1 year) & one Black (6months)... I had to give up a pet 6 years ago and vowed never to get any more pets unless I was sure I never had to give them up & go through the trauma again! I thought this was the case until recently when I decided to re-look at the move to Oz. I have spent many an evening sobbing my heart out even thinking about either having to give them up or having them in quarantine for 7 months!!!! I am trying to get across on a 457 and have not had an offer yet, but I have tried to work through this in my mind & will only make the decision once (and if) I have an actual job offer (457 visa).

You can perhaps try subscribing to doggynews-subscribe@topica.com... they have a section for "Dogs needing new homes". There are always postings of people emigrating...

Good luck in your decision!

Regards

Tracey