Does it matter which time of the year?

G72

Hi All

This is my first post - enjoying the forum, and it's good to read about other SA"S going through the same process.

Our PR visa is due around Oct/Nov and was wondering what the advice is around arriving, settling and basically looking for a job towards the end of the year? Should we wait till say Jan before we come across?

I am itching to get there, as most of you know the visa waiting limbo is tough and ready to get on with our new life.

We should be able to sustain ourselves for a few months and aiming for Melbourne or Sydney at this stage.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Hi G72

A good time to arrive? Well, Australia pretty much shuts down from Christmas until the end of January. There is nothing much happening in that time. I would say if you timed your arrival for beginning February, by the time you are settled and sorted to start job hunting, the country is back at work.

Of course, being a Melbournite, I would suggest you choose Melbourne, not that I have anything against Sydney, except that it is a lot more expensive!

Mara

The best time for job hunting would be after the silly season (last part of December and the whole of January) - or way before that time for 2 reasons:

1. People intending to resign from their jobs in the later part of the year, generally wait for after their annual leave not to loose out on that - as well as any annual bonuses which might go with that.

2. All the decision-makers are working on their tan somewhere on an island and the last thing on their mind is employing staff.....

I agree, wait till Feb, getting here is far more expensive during Silly season than during Feb...

D :offtopic:

I agree, wait till Feb, getting here is far more expensive during Silly season than during Feb...

D :)

Mara, Riekie and Danie - thank you for your input - very helpfull :whome:

Mara I will be in Melbourne from the 31st till the 5th Aug - hopefully the winter there wont be too wet - its part of and LSD which also includes Perth and Sydney

Regards

Gerhard

Hi G72

I have sent you an email giving you my telephone details. If you wish, we would be more than happy to meet with you whilst you are in Melbourne.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Mara

Hi G72

I have sent you an email giving you my telephone details. If you wish, we would be more than happy to meet with you whilst you are in Melbourne.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Mara

Wow - thanks Mara - I got the mail and will give you guys a call - very kind of you

I will be staying at the Victoria Hotel - a budget hotel but its not like ZAR's go very far in Aus - I hope its ok - otherwise I will check into a Holiday Inn or something.

Regards

Gerhard

Hi G72,

I agree with the above advice you were given, I'd say enjoy your Dec/Jan holidays with the family vir oulaas and try and get here at the time when the plane tickets get reasonable again. For us we got a decently priced flight on 22 Jan.

I'd say try and get out slightly before Feb so that you are settled, have organised a temp place to stay and have organised internet access, so you can start applying for some jobs online, can start reading the job sections in the newspapers and generally are able to hit the road running come early Feb. If you are waiting for a container remember to pack some type of suit for going to interviews and personnel agencies.

Hope this helps!

Brisbane BUG

PS. I see you have not included Brisbane, the river city, in your LSD or even any consideration for the future? Ai Ai Ai you are giving the best part of Aus a skip?

Hi G72,

I agree with the above advice you were given, I'd say enjoy your Dec/Jan holidays with the family vir oulaas and try and get here at the time when the plane tickets get reasonable again. For us we got a decently priced flight on 22 Jan.

I'd say try and get out slightly before Feb so that you are settled, have organised a temp place to stay and have organised internet access, so you can start applying for some jobs online, can start reading the job sections in the newspapers and generally are able to hit the road running come early Feb. If you are waiting for a container remember to pack some type of suit for going to interviews and personnel agencies.

Hope this helps!

Brisbane BUG

PS. I see you have not included Brisbane, the river city, in your LSD or even any consideration for the future? Ai Ai Ai you are giving the best part of Aus a skip?

Thanks Chatterbug

Yes we havent and Brisbane sounds like a young and fun city (somebody here said its got the climate of Richards Bay/very hot?), but my wife might be able to get work in Melbourne with the Multinational she works for in SA. So we will start there, if no luck then we will reconsider

Would it help, cost wise to book tickets way in advance for mid Jan?

Cheers

Hey G72

Just pulling your leg! Good to start over there - seeing that most of those southern states dudes end up retiring or settling in SE Queensland eventually! Interstate migration to SE is still quite a significant contributor to the high population growth over here! Eventually the colder weather gets to you, it is S.A.D. but true ( no pun intended!)

I'd book those tickets well beforehand - but maybe ask your travel agent if it'd make a difference - my hunch is it would!

Enjoy Melbourne it is a great city! I hope you guys secure that job without too much hassles.

Brissie BUG

Hey G72

Just pulling your leg! Good to start over there - seeing that most of those southern states dudes end up retiring or settling in SE Queensland eventually! Interstate migration to SE is still quite a significant contributor to the high population growth over here! Eventually the colder weather gets to you, it is S.A.D. but true ( no pun intended!)

I'd book those tickets well beforehand - but maybe ask your travel agent if it'd make a difference - my hunch is it would!

Enjoy Melbourne it is a great city! I hope you guys secure that job without too much hassles.

Brissie BUG

Thanks for all the info BUG!

Hey G72

Brissie BUG

Thanks for all the info BUG!

Hi Gerhard

Don't be surprised at our offer, we tend to have a lot of fun with the SA visitors. We have just had Pippa's parents and sister here on their LSD trip, and had a great time with them.

You are in Melbourne from Monday to Saturday. Unfortunately the Monday evening we have a seminar we have to attend, but perhaps if you give me a call on Tuesday morning we can arrange to meet one evening. Now, I do not work Fridays, so if you want a chauffeur for the day, make that a confirmed booking.

About the flights, can you not use that crowd that gives you cheap tickets if you are immigrating? I have no details on them, but I have seen it spoken about on this site. Maybe try doing a search on "flights"?

Mara