Disadvantages of 457 visa?!

sharksfan

Hi there,

I wonder if any of the "gurus" can help me on this one. There is a possibility that my hubby can get a 457 visa (but not yet confirmed...so trying not to count our chickens! :lol: ). I have searched the forum and not found a specific answer so I apologise if I have missed a thread and am repeating any previous posts.

If you are lucky enough to eventually enter Oz on a 457 visa, can you ever get PR?...Maybe after the initial 4 year sponsorship is up?

Also, other than having to pay for kids schooling as overseas students, what are the other disadvantages of being on a 457 sponsored visa?

Finally :ilikeit: I recall from other post replies that this visa does not take too long to come through...?

Thanks a mil!

Sharksfan :ilikeit:

Yes, you can absolutely - and you don't have to wait for the 4 years. :ilikeit: (That's how many of us have done it!)

Hi there

As far as the getting PR goes yes there are many options. You might find the company willing to help out and get you a ENS PR visa or you can get extra points after 6 months work experience and if you have enough apply through the general skills route. If you are in a regional area you could apply for a PR regional visa there are options and you won't have a problem. Once you are here I am sure the company will be able to help with advice too. Also you don't have to wait for the 457 to expire you can apply as soon as you are able. Once you have PR the 457 lapses and you will no longer be tied to that company. If you leave the company before you have PR your will have to find another company to sponsor you on a 457 visa.

As far as the cons go, school fees, health cover and not being able to enter competitions that are for PR only. Also you will probably not be able to work for a goverment organisation or in a teaching enviroment without a medical.

We had our 457 visa 5 days after our medicals were received and it took 7 days from the date that we did the medicals to the date they were received. Its very quick and I wouldn't change anything, only wish we had come sooner.

Good Luck

Hi Sharksfan,

sa2auz has covered the most important points of the 457 visa. Some schools are more lenient than others, and you do not have to pay school fees on 457. This is purely a decision made from school to school. All Australians are now being encouraged to take out private medical insurance, even though the type we have to take out is a little more costly than theirs. On a 457 visa, you have to take out special medical insurance "for overseas visitors" and it must include repatriation insurance. There are many places that are open for residents only, like the Air Cadets I talked about earlier. I was also frustrated by some jobs that I could not apply for, but there are many others to choose from anyway! You can only buy a house if you have a 20% deposit :offtopic:

The biggest positive to this visa is that it is quick. And it allows people like us, who are not on the skills list, an opportunity to get here. We have to stay for two years before we can apply for PR, and our company has promised to back our application.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Sharksfan,

All true as the ladies has mentioned!

However, you can get your PR within the first year but that will be up to your sponsor/employer, because they will sponsor you again for the PR. The 'normal' way to do it, is to wait 2 years and apply on your own..

HTH

D :offtopic:

Hi Sharksfan

Have a look at this link courtesy of BE. It contains a migration agent's take on the 457 visa pros & cons.

Edited by JJV

Hi again - thanks for all your responses! :offtopic:

The waiting time now begins - nail biting but exciting all the same. Fingers, toes and thumbs crossed!

Cheerio!

Sharksfan

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there Sharksfan,

When you are here on a 457, it does happen that ppl don't take you as seriously as they would have if you were a PR. It can be more difficult to get a bank loan, for instance and some of the houses we were interested in renting were off limits, as the owners are only interested in leasing to PR or citizens. All-in-all it hasn't really been such a hassle, especially not when you consider the LAFHA benefits we are getting !! :ilikeit:

Good luck, keeping fingers, toes, teeth, hair and elbows crossed for you !!

Love from here

SS

:ilikeit:

Edited by Sunshine Sister