The Caterpillar

Mythryl

So I wanted to share this in Afrikaans with you guys but my Afrikaans is a bit rusty so I can't be descriptive enough (Sorrie ma en pa - Julle Afrikaanse skool seun is 'n slapgat!)

So there I was standing in the parking lot at work having my morning ciggie. I noticed a tiny little caterpillar doing that "bendy" walk that the caterpillars do. I looked back to the other end of the parking lot and there stands a single tree. I went over and looked and there were hundreds of these little caterpillars everywhere, but only one decided to risk the tar parking lot. That made me curious. Why was the caterpillar leaving all his family behind and making a dangerous journey over a parking lot? And where was the caterpillar going?

So I look across the parking lot in the general direction the caterpillar was heading. There about 50 metres away is a planter box with a plethora of succulent plants and grasses. And you guessed it...the caterpillar was making a B-line straight for this planter box. Now maybe someone over at animal planet can explain how on earth a little caterpillar could have spotted this planter box from so far away?

I was tempted to pick the little sucker up and place him in the box but morbid curiousity got the better of me. I wanted to see the little bloke make a go of it. So I waited

20 mins later and along comes a big old 4x4. I thought the little guy was a gonner. But no...he stopped right in the middle of the drive shaft and let the car go right by without hurting him! Once the danger was gone he carried on his merry way. He made it 15 minutes later and settled on a nice succulent.

I checked up on him a few hours later and the guy had started spinning himself into a coccoon!

I had an epiffany (sp?)

(Note: I'm not a tree hugging hippy but the symbolism in this event cannot be denied)

That little caterpillar is me. The parking lot is my journey via immigration. The planter box is Australia

See I could have stayed in the tree with all my fellow caterpillars and risked getting eaten by a bird. But no. I made the journey across the parking lot. Right now I'm stopped for the 4x4 (My NZ citizenship) but if I keep on going eventually I will get to Aus and make myself a coccoon. Once settled I will become a butterfly (flourish). Why I make the journey is the same as the caterpillar.

So the moral of my little story? Keep on going and eventually everyone on this site will find their happiness in Aus. Just don't let the 4x4 run you over!

Well done! What a wonderful comparison! I loved it and so true.

regards,

Amazing how little "signs" are send our way to remind us of our goals!!! Thanks for sharing. Hope you took a photo of your little friend as a reminder!

Loved it!

Also think of the Latin proverb: Laboris Finem Respice, which means that if you keep your end-goal in mind, then your present exertions don't feel so hard.

Dax

This is just what I needed today, feeling a little blue with all this waiting, but your lovely story has totally perked me up!! Thanks!

Thanks guys for the kind words. Glad I could make someones day a bit brighter

Hi Mythryl,

Thanks for that feel good story.

I am sure your dreams will come true. Just hang in there, it will all be worth it when you get to that cocoon.

bye for now Jill

Right now I'm stopped for the 4x4 (My NZ citizenship) but if I keep on going eventually I will get to Aus and make myself a coccoon.

EXACTLY where I am, only prob is the #)&(*$# 4x4 has stopped right above me. Citizenship approved in January, now we have to hurry up and wait for the ceremony. Phoned in Jan, Feb and March, and they are getting miffed.

grrrrr