What things cost around here

Guest Sunshine Sister

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

I have kept and scanned some of our first shopping receipts as I thought some of you may find it useful info. If there are items on the list that you wonder about (and I can still remember what they were) I will gladly help with some of the abbreviations. *PM me if interested *

Grocery shopping in Sydney is a pleasure. Shops are HUGE and clean and the choice is mind-boggling. Even if you have some serious food iffy-ness / issues / intolerances / allergies or general fiemies, you will find what you like and probably at a SUPER DOOPER low price as well. My lift-off grocery shopping (as I call it) which includes all of the things that you need to get when new in a place, like salt, pepper, butter, water, bread, spreads, cheese, etc was done at my local Woolies. I went ape, LITERALLY and didn't once worry about the cost of anything.. My total bill was $ 340. I was amazed, it is REALLY cheap. I have been very impressed by the standard and quality of the food and the way the different supermarkets go out of their way to cater for the local communities. We have a Dutch section at our Woolies, and I have also seen an entire Chinese/Japanese section at Coles. Fabs.

Going to the movies is really expensive. We took the boys to watch Cars - 2 adults, 2 kids, kids each had a pop corn and hubs and I each a cold drink - $ 70 !! I find that really expensive. It costs $11 for a child and $ 15 for an adult. If you take a family deal, which is 2 kids and 1 adult you pay $ 33. In Seoul a morning out to the movies used to end up around US$ 30. Eating out can be expensive, unless you stick to Steakhouses. Speaking of which I am not a fan of the Spur in Parramatta. Service 4/10, food 4/10, atmosphere 0/10, play area for kids 2/10, general friendliness of staff 1/10. Don't kill yourselves to get there, many other places around that are nicer, Nando's at Castle Towers comes to mind !! :ilikeit:

Cars are not as cheap as in the USA, but not as expensive as in Europe. There is a very big selection to choose from and why anybody would actually even bother putting his behind in one of those really ugly and seriously Zeff Utes, is a mystery to me... :blink: Some really nice cars around, including Porche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, and some nice looking Ford 4 x 4, something for every taste and budget, even our sharp-tongued little sandaddertjie would have been satisfied, if she could convince the Head of Staff to wiggle herself out of night duty and come to have a look DU. :lol: But that, as we all know, is a whole other discussion !! (devil smiley) Appliances are cheap and if you aren't too fussy you can get some real bargains. Buying local is an activity which is encouraged with slight enthusiasm, which is a WHOLE LOT more enthusiasm than what you normally see from Aussies. Local brands of appliances include Westinghouse and Fisher&Paykel. Major advantages to buying local is that you will always be able to get parts, repairing and replacement services and big stores like Good Guys have loads in stock, which means quicker delivery of your goods. With your bigger appliances you get a standard 2 year guarantee, which you can up to 5 years for a small fee. Local products also take water saving functions into account which is a nice plus to have. (Nice minus to have on your water bill) ;)

I have made a list of all of the extras we have had to add, I will post it soon. We haven't paid a single bond to have any of our services connected. For our house we paid a month's rent as bond and our first month's rent in advance. Because we did this, all of the utilities have connected without asking for bonds. Our internet connection/modem arrived 4 days after we ordered it and was already connected when plugged in. Our phone was connected a day after we applied. After we had a working connection and bought hand sets from the phone store, we decided that we also wanted a separate fax line. It took one phone call and was organized within an hour. Foxtel, which is satellite TV, came out 2 days after we contacted them to connect our service. This was really quick, and we were just lucky as the average waiting time is actually 5 working days at the moment. If a parcel arrives for you while you are not at home, you have to go and collect it at the post office. The post office will leave you a note stating which post office you should go fetch it at and from what time. There will be no address attached to the post office name and as many areas have more than one office, I suggest you check before driving to the wrong one.. :lol: Nope, this hasn't happened to me, but I just got lucky and accidentally went to the right one. Remember to take some form of identification with you and the post office slip, knowing your address off by heart also makes you look like less of a Yutz, good luck with that.

If you are as lucky as I am and have a driver's license from one of the countries I have mentioned before on another thread, you can have your Aussie license in a flash. It takes 10 minutes and you will be required to take the world's easiest eye-test, upon successful completion they will take the ugliest photo of you EVER and 3 minutes later you are hooked-up ! You have the option of taking a license valid for 1 year, 3 years or 5 and you can pay with credit card, cash or EFTPOS. Mine cost $145 and is valid for 5 years. No mess no fuss. Your Aussie license opens doors for you. I got a car loan easier because of it. If you wear plakkies and use a diffuser in your hair, while drying it upside down, after soaking it in hair cement, speak with a horribly nasal accent, jump into them track-pants and an ugly, oversized-faded-hooked-torn not even worthy of a visit to the Salvation Army Help Us bin while flashing this little item, I am sure ppl will think you are local !! :D If, of course this is indeed something to strive for. :lol: Sorry, just realized, I am waaay off topic now. :lol:

Mostly having your things delivered after buying them will cost you $50 per trip. This is negotiable, so be tough and show your Aggro Saffer side. The mind still boggles on how in the world we could have lost to the local tribes on the rugby field, especially considering how timid and snoozie they are in real life. They like to think of themselves as Laid-Back, just a kind word summarizing a general combination of slight boringness, some laziness and Semi-Gevrektheid if you ask me !! :ilikeit::D Hehehehehe, I have to admit, tho' in general I have found the Aussies to be a really friendly, funny, easy-going bunch of ppl, not in any real danger of killing themselves at the office, but with a fantastic sense of balance and a love for the outdoors. So far so good !!

Will make some lists on things we have bought and prices and be back later.

Love

SS

:)

SS, ek moet sê jy het nou regtig 'n baie objektiewe en gebalanseerde weergawe van jou lewe sover in Aus gegee - jy sê 'n ding soos dit is. Dalk kan jy paar van daai strokies in elk geval aanheg?? Ek dink dit sal van baie waarde vir baie mense in RSA wees wat wonder oor al hierdie goed.....(en voel dit is te "silly" om te vra).

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

After some research I have managed to make the following list of what basic appliances will set you back when setting up house. The prices are as found at The Good Guys at the moment and valid until the end of the month. I hope it will be useful to those on their way, for a basic indication/idea of what to expect or for setting up your budgets.

Love from here

SS

Top Loaders :

Simpson, 7.5 kg, $778 ,

Simpson 6 kg, $ 549

Daewoo, 4.5 kg, $ 364

Samsung, 5 kg, $ 464

Fisher & Paykel, 5.5 kg , $ 578,

Fisher & Paykel, 7.5 kg, $ 848

LG, 7.5 kg, $ 745

Whirlpool, 7.5 kg, $ 792

Dryers :

Fisher & Paykel, 3.5 kg, $ 329

Westinghouse, 5 kg, $ 429

Simpson, 6kg, $ 464

Front Loaders :

Samsung, 7kg, $ 698

Simpson, 7kg, $ 698

LG, 7.5 kg, $ 763

LG, 7 kg, $ 638

Electrolux, 7kg, $ 794

Electrolux, 8kg, $ 998

Whirlpool, 7.5 kg, $ 942

Fisher & Paykel, 6 kg, $ 768

LG – Washer 7kg & Dryer 4kg, $ 999

Freezers :

Fisher & Paykel, 160 litre, $ 398

Westinghouse, 210 litre, $ 567

Heller, 145 litre (upright freezer), $ 447

Refrigerators :

Samsung, 210 litre, $ 496

Samsung, 316 litre, $ 848

Westinghouse, 202 litre, $ 498

Heller, 310 litre, $ 658

Whirlpool, 270 litre, $ 698

Centrex, 360 litre, $ 728

LG, 392 litre, $ 798

Samsung, 423 litre, $ 987

Frost free fridges :

Fisher & Paykel, 248 litre, $ 675

Fisher & Paykel, 381 litre, $ 928

Whirlpool, 350 litre, $ 848

Simpson, 390 litre, $ 868

Westinghouse, 420 litre, $ 999

Westinghouse, 510 litre, $ 1897

Westinghouse, 520 litre, $ 1348

LG, 559 litre, $ 1384

Samsung, 518 litre, $ 1354

Fisher & Paykel, 442 litre, $ 1448

Toshiba, 532 litre, $ 1448

Microwaves :

LG, 19 litre, 800 Watts, $99

Sharp, 1100 Watts, $ 159

LG, 34 litre, 1100 Watts, $189

Panasonic, 25 litre, 1000 Watts, $ 199

Panasonic, 32 litre, 1100 Watts, $ 229

Sharp, 1200 Watts, $ 299

Portable appliances :

Heller, 1.2 litre cordless kettle $ 29.95

Breville, 2 litre cordless kettle $ 39.95

Sunbeam, 1.7 litre, stainless steel cordless kettle, $ 69.95

Kambrook 2 slice toaster, $ 24.95

Sunbeam, 4 thick slice toaster, $ 39.95

George Foreman compact grill, $ 29.95

Breville Sanwich press, $49.95

Sunbeam Café grill, $ 49.95

Breville maxi sandwich press, $ 59.95

Breville health smart grill, $ 89

Breville rice cooker, $ 29

Breville deep fryer, $ 99

Sunbeam slow cooker, $ 59.95

Kambrook banquet frypan, $ 59.95

Sunbeam multicooker deep fryer, $ 69.95

Breville family banquet meal maker, $ 79.95

Breville electric wok, $ 79.95

Breville bakers oven, $ 79.95

Breville Coffee maker, $ 159

Sunbeam Café ristretto, $ 74

Sunbeam Café crema espresso machine, $ 199

KRUPS K2 Premium espresso machine, $ 389

Braun Multi-quick hand blender, $ 89

DeLonghi Espresso maker, $ 999

Breville Jet iron, $ 49.95

Sunbeam steam iron, $ 59.95

Philips Iron, $ 89

Tefal aquaspeed 170 iron, $ 99

Sunbeam Ironing Board, $ 69

Philips Microplus men’s shaver, $ 59.95

Braun washable shaver, $ 69.95

Vacuum Cleaners :

Ronson, 1400 watt, $ 69

Breville handheld 12 volt vac, $ 69

Volta, 1700 watt bagless vacuum cleaner, $ 149

Volta, 2000 watt mega power cleaner, $ 199

Nil Fisk, 2000 w with 5 year warranty, $ 549

Electrolux, 1800 Watt bagless vacuum cleaner, $ 699

Kambrook, 1900 Watt bagless vacuum cleaner, $ 199

Plasma TV :

LG 106 cm, $ 2587

Samsung 106 cm (42 inch), $ 2385

Philips 106 cm, $ 2497

LG 106 cm High definition, $ 3239

Panasonic 106 cm, High definition, $ 3499

Philips, 106 cm, High definition, $ 3699

LG, 127 cm (50 inch) High definition, $ 5289

LCD TV:

LG, 76 cm (32 inch) Widescreen, $ 1897

Centrex 43cm ( 17 inch), $ 499

Samsung, 49 cm( 19 inch), $ 799

Sony, 66 cm (26) Bravia, $ 1697

Sony 101 cm ( 40 inch) widescreen, $ 3399

Sharp 94 cm (37 inch) widscreen, $ 3499

Panasonic, 76cm (32 inch) High definition, $ 1997

Philips, 94cm (37 inch) widescreen, $ 3499

TV:

Philips 51 cm, $ 299

LG 68 cm, $ 467

Philips 68 cm, $ 499

LG 66 cm widescreen, $ 649

Panasonic, 68 cm, $ 539

Portable DVD players :

Conia, $ 199

LG 7 inch widescreen, $ 249

Philips 7 inch widescreen, $ 299

DVD Players :

Philips $ 95

LG (DVD/Video combo) $ 175

Sunshine Sis, if you listen carefully, you'll hear applause in the distance. That's me, giving you a deserved ovation for the amount of work and effort you are putting into this forum. Jy probeer regtig om die nuwelinge in Australië te help - en jyself is "splinternuut"! Knap gedaan. :)

(By the way, we don't have a Woolies here in the American North West, but we also have a KMart and Target stores.)

:whome: Phewwwwwwww........... ek is nou sommer moeg vir jou part ....

:) Wel gedaan sus, ek is seker daar is baie mense wat dit uiters waardeer... ek wens daar was so iets iewers voor ons gekom het .... :unsure:

Wow Sista!! You've outdone yourself AGAIN!! <_<

Hi SS

Thank you very much for the effort - highly appreciated. You're a star!

Hi SS

Thanks for all this, it is REALY helpful.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Thanks Janneman, Annette, Riekie, JJV and Ruan for the kind comments. Even if it only helps one or two ppl who are on their way, I have done my bit. It is always easier to help when you have just been through the process as you know the kind of information you yourself struggled to find and of course the information that ppl need before arrival.

Popped in to the Telstra shop :

Cordless phones :

Uniden 2.4 GHZ scr Technology Cordless phone

14 day battery standby time,7 hours talk time - $ 79

Panasonic 1.8 GHZ 3 line cordless phone with caller ID and LCD

Handsfree speaker phone, 50 station caller ID - $ 89

Telstra Edge series 5202

DECT Digital voice quality and security, caller ID, caller wait button,

50 name and number phonebook, alarm click on handset, SMS capable - $ 99

Telstra 2400A easytouch DECT

Large dot matrix display, caller ID, 50 name & number phonebook, handsfree,

SMS multi-functionality, digital answering machine - $ 99

Uniden 2.4 GHZ WDECT wideband digital cordless phone system

Digital clarity, security & extended range, digital answering machine, speakerphone - $ 129

Uniden 2.4 GHZ Digital spread spectrum phone system

Digital answering machine, dial keypad, long range, multi handset capability,

room/ baby monitor - $ 249

Panasonic 5.8 GHZ digital gigarange cordless phone pack

FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread spectrum), call waiting, caller ID,

50 station caller ID, shock and splash resistant - $ 249

GPS systems at your electronics store will cost :

Navman

In-car navigation ICN520 -

Uses software "SmartST 2005". Ready to use with rechargable batteries and preloaded software

$ 699

Tomtom

One GPS

one click to plug on, switch on and go. Transportable from car to car

$ 769

Navman

in-car basic navigation

Anti-glare colour screen, works straight out of box

$ 499

Laptops :

Compaq Presario V2627AU - $ 999

AMD Sempron 3000 +

14'' WXGA TFT bright view

512MB DR RAM

40GB

DVD/CD-RW

Windows XP

Compaq Presario V5100AU - $ 1299

AMD sempron 3300+

15.4'' WXGA Bright view

512 MB DDR RAM

40GB HDD

DVD +/- RW Dual Layer drive

6-in-1 media reader

Wireless 802.11 b/g

Windows XP

HP - New generation HP Pavilion DV2023 - $ 1999

Intel core Duo processor T2300 - 1.66 GHZ

14.0'' WXGA with Bright view

1024 MB RAM

80 GB HDD

Super multi DVD +/- RW

Microsoft XP Pro

Ok, on to costs of a different sort. If you are on a 457 visa and living in NSW as all of you know by now, you will be required by law to pay $ 4500 annually in school fees. We have opted to go with private schooling. (Please note that all of the info provided here is specific to one school and may vary from other schools in NSW and Sydney. The info given is merely to give you some idea of what possible costs could be.)

The school we have chosen as many in our area, does not differentiate between permanent and temporary residency holders, as we are all seen as residence. Only when children are not here with their families and have come to Australia on student visas, does our school judge you as an "International student" or "overseas student" and are you required to pay the extreme fees sometimes advertised and do you need to do so upfront.

Our costs thus far have been :

1. Application fee - $ 95 (first child) and $ 45 (second child)

2. Enrolment fee - $ 950 (first child) and $ 650 (second child)

3. Annual fee - Year 1, $ 5528 (eldest child)

- Kindy, $ 4700 (second child)

Application fees are paid upon application. Enrolment fees have to be paid within two weeks of acceptance of your child(ren). Annual fees can be paid in a number of different ways and the school is very keen to accommodate you with which ever method suits you best. School fees cover mandatory school courses, tuition, excursions and texbooks. Additional costs (not covered) include uniforms, camps, stationery, mission trips and optional activities. Children from Year 3 upward pay between $ 250 and $500 for camp fees per annum. After school care costs $17 per afternoon, which is up to 6:30.

Just to give you an idea of costs:

Annual fees for your first child at our school:

Prep - 2 Days - $ 3392

Prep - 3 Days - $ 5088

Prep - 5 Days - $ 8480

K - Year 2 - $ 5528

Year 3 -4 - $ 5552

Year 5 -6 - $ 5580

Year 7 -8 - $ 7108

Year 9 -10 - $7384

Year 11 - $ 8428

Year 12 - $ 8430

School uniform :

For my 6 year old we bought :

2 pairs of trousers

3 white school shirts

1 school bag

1 library bag

1 paint smock for art

2 wool jumpers

2 school hats

1 jnr sports jacket (for PE days)

1 jnr track pants (for PE days)

1 sport top

1 sport shorts

2 school ties

grey socks and sport socks

Total Cost $ 405. 70

School shoes - $ 69. 95

Hope this helps.

Love from here

SS

:ilikeit:

Sorry, forgot to say : <_<

I have also scanned in two more things, that Riekie has very kindly promised to stick on to this thread for us. Thanks Riekie !!

Love

SS

No Worries SS! :huh:

Edited by Riekie

Hi SS,

Excellent post.

Just a word of warning about the GPS's, they don't recognise no left turns and no right turns.

Also, in the city they sometimes "get lost" and give you wrong information

Edited by g26130

• 2 weeks later...
Hi SS

Thanks for all this, it is REALY helpful.

Hello,

Your post has been most comprehensive and excellent.

I feel like a real fool as I was nota aware of this cost for schooling for the kids.We have 3 kids aged 9,6,2

thus my elder two will go to school but we will be in Cooktown a remote area do you have idea of the cost for that school, it is truly pricy or am I being Snuup?

Please tell me how our kids fit in here with these kids being two year behind them ..

Thanks

Tash

If you have PR, you don't pay school fees for public schools. There is a small fee per term that the school may ask you to pay, but it is not compulsory (usually about $50 - $70 per term). Also, these fees for persons who do not have PR, does not apply to all states - will try to get you info on your state.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey everyone,

My second little bundle of happiness has been invited by the school for two days per week to attend Prep ! Yay !! The costs involved have been as follows :

(mentioned before)

Application - $45

Enrolment - $ 650

Tuition fee - $ 3392

Even Prep has a special school uniform :unsure: which included :

2 t- shirts

2 long-sleeve tops

2 track pants

1 junior sports jacket

1 school bag

1 paint smock for art

1 library bag

1 school hat

school socks

Total cost - $ 204

Special white takkies - $ 65.00 (x 2) as the elder brother also needed these for PE days :

Total $130

Sorry strawberry, I am not sure how things go in QLD. I will try and find some info for you. Do you perhaps know which visa you are looking at, as this can make a difference to what you pay in some states.

Love

SS

Hi SS

Thanks for the in-depth analysis of the cost of living there. As we are also busy with the Groot Trek, fortunately without the Ossewa :cowboy: , it will surely help us a lot :) .

At my current job in South Africa, we’ve got some contractors from Sydney to build the new extension at the plant and according to them the biggest mistake people from South Africa make is the living cost over there which is very high. It seems very “cheap” in Oz money, but do not make the mistake of converting it to SA money (Monopoly money) :unsure: . If one should do that, I suppose the cheapest place to go to is Zimbabwe as that is about the only place where the rand is stronger :D (just joking, I know it is stronger than the Zambian currency as well :lol: ).

Anyway, I will surely make a printout of the information you gathered and will go and study it.

I suppose this will be more or less the price of things in NZ? :ilikeit:

Have a nice one!

PS. I hope your hubbies platinum card didn’t take a knock in order to do the much needed study! ;)

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there JPS,

How nice to see you again !! I think of you often and wonder how things are with you and when you will be off. I still wanted to comment on your boss and your brother, What fantastic news !! God works in wonderful ways ! It would be very interesting to know how things differ between here and NZ, maybe NZHigh or one of the other guru's could add something on that..

Thanks for the concern.. :ilikeit: AMEX Plattie and I have had such a wonderful time, getting to know the area, and as hubs is quite the scientist he realized that it isn't just shopping for the sake of buying stuff. No, no, no ppl, this was serious scientific research for the benefit of MY PEOPLE !! :cowboy: Why else would I do it, right !! Loved your bit on the Z’s of economics, maybe we should start calling it Z’Efrica, in keeping with the general trend…

Please keep us posted on your progress and what we can do to help ! Give my love to your wife.

Love from here

SS

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

I am not sure what cell phone (mobile phone) service costs in SA these days, but I have found the service here in Australia expensive, compared to both Europe and Asia. As there is loads to tell on this topic, I thought it best to start with post-paid service. If you are planning on taking out a cell phone plan with one of the providers here in Australia (optus, vodafone, 3, virgin mobile, telstra, etc) you will need to once again score 100 on the points system, before being eligible. Forms of ID accepted are as follows :

More to come

Love

SS

• 1 month later...
Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

Here I am again, still spending. B) If you are an active family or perhaps have active kids you will probably want to add some space in your budget for the costs involved with extramural activities. I am going to list what I have and hope others will add what they have/their kids are involved in.

Swimming lessons :

Enrolment $ 10

$ 135 per term for 1/2 hour lesson per week

Taekwondo :

$100 per month for 1 hour lessons twice per week

( :lol: does that make any sense ? Two lessons per week, an hour each)

Includes all costs - exams, outfits, certifications, belts, etc

Indoor soccer :

Enrolment $10

$ 10 per week for 2 hour lessons

Indoor Cricket :

Enrolment $10

$ 15 per week for 1 hour lessons

Will let you know what equipment costs are as we buy it.

Love

SS

Edited by Sunshine Sister

Horse riding: $45 per hour lesson

Yoga: $12 per 90 minute session

Girl Guides: $15 per term

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there,

Since I was unable to find the following anywhere while I was trying to draw up a budget before arrival, I decided to check it out and write it down for other interested members of the commuting public :

Diesel 138.9 cents

Unleaded 119.5 cents

Premium Unleaded 125.5 cents

A full tank of Premium Unleaded in my car $ 76.18

Hope this helps someone.

Love

SS

B)

Hi there,

I am not sure what cell phone (mobile phone) service costs in SA these days, but I have found the service here in Australia expensive, compared to both Europe and Asia. As there is loads to tell on this topic, I thought it best to start with post-paid service. If you are planning on taking out a cell phone plan with one of the providers here in Australia (optus, vodafone, 3, virgin mobile, telstra, etc) you will need to once again score 100 on the points system, before being eligible. Forms of ID accepted are as follows :

More to come

Love

SS

Hi SS

Thanks for this info...how about a post / link giving comparative costs & different options for post paid cell services similar to the one that was posted on internet options.

FICA (financial intelligence compliance act) rules are starting to bite here in the RSA ...

I still wonder how the "nigerian 419 scammers" manage to open a new bank a/c if I (who has had an a/c with the same bank for 25 yrs plus) still have to supply proof that I exsist incl. utility bills, phone bill & Id docs in order to stop my a/c from being frozen !

Anyway my point (pun unintended) is ... how do I accumulate the 100 points as I will not comply with the 2nd stage i.e. medicare card as we will initially be on a 4 year temporary visa & we will not be eligible for midicare( am told we can claim back any medicare levy which we will still have to pay !)

Anyone else there on a TR visa had this problem ? how did you over come it ?

Regards

Barnone

Hi there,

Regarding the 100 points system, your passport, drivers license and a utility bill in your name is plenty. Also a bank card issued in your name is fine.

Good luck!

Ajay

And for the seafood lovers, this is what oysters, prawns & fish steaks cost at the fish-market: (The price for the oysters was for 12 Large ones....)

Anyway my point (pun unintended) is ... how do I accumulate the 100 points as I will not comply with the 2nd stage i.e. medicare card as we will initially be on a 4 year temporary visa & we will not be eligible for midicare( am told we can claim back any medicare levy which we will still have to pay !)

Anyone else there on a TR visa had this problem ? how did you over come it ?

Regards

Barnone

Hi Barnone,

In the first few weeks, your passport alone counts for a 100 points. I am not sure if it is 2 or 4 weeks? We only needed our passport, your date of entry stamp is in there. This way it is much easier getting things done, but it makes you do it in a hurry!

Greetings,

Dreamy