Survival income

vesuvius

Hi all,

We have an offer for Melbourne or Perth earning $60 000 pa, before tax.

Can anyone give me feedback if this will be enough for 2 adults and 3 children at school (2 primary, 1 going to grade 8) with no payments for day care.

I have added up the breakdown in costs and it seems liveable.

Need some confirmation and serious reassurance.

Thank you,

V

If you'r a tradie that will be fine (because of allowances and overtime), actually even if you'r not you can make it work.

Edited by Nilo

it might be a bit tight, but you should be able to live on it, with some careful planning and discipline. You must also find out whether it includes or excludes Superannuation as well though, as that might mean that the actual salary component is $55045 before tax...

Cheers

Ajay

Hi all,

We have an offer for Melbourne or Perth earning $60 000 pa, before tax.

Can anyone give me feedback if this will be enough for 2 adults and 3 children at school (2 primary, 1 going to grade 8) with no payments for day care.

I have added up the breakdown in costs and it seems liveable.

Need some confirmation and serious reassurance.

Thank you,

V

Dear V,

You don’t say on which visa you are coming on.

I don’t want to be devil’s advocate :lol: and as mentioned before, I am very reluctant to comment on salaries, but I personally don’t think that $60,000.00 per annum (before tax) will be enough for a family of 5 :lol: . Like Ajay said, it will be tight...

Especially not when you are on a 457… For example, my husband and I were on a 457 until just very recently and we had to for example had to by $310 per month just for private healthcare – and that was just for the 2 of us! Now that we are on PR, we are only paying around $200 per month for private healthcare and this is just one example of what the benefits are to be on PR.

If you are in a trade, you may, like Nilo said, earn some overtime and that would definitely be an advantage.

I may be criticized for being so direct (and honest :lol: ) on this issue, but I often see that people say that salaries will be enough when I personally feel that it wouldn’t! My aim is to sketch a realistic picture to people; it is all well and good to get here, but you still want to live… It is imperative to do your calculations, and set up your budget etc. before you make the move! Things are expensive and please keep in mind that inflation is on the increase. Have a look at the Australian Tax Office’s website to calculate what your net income would be etc.

Please be careful to just accept what you read here on the forum; we all have different lifestyles, background and expectations!

Good luck!

Bye, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa,

You're right - the visa class makes a difference and it will be tight, but also remember that on a 457, V can get a piece of the salary paid as a Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA to those that aren't familiar with the term) which will have a nett increase effect too as it is tax free.

I'm basing my advice on what I was earning when we first arrived here in Sydney, which wasn't far off what V is talking about. But as we've said a thousand times here, the issue of what is a liveable salary is just too subjective to debate with any real authority :lol:

Cheers

Ajay

You can live off that much.

If you're coming on PR, you'll get family assistance which will be pretty substantial if you're on one income.

Perth will be dearer to live in (more rent!) than Melbourne.

You can live off that much.

If you're coming on PR, you'll get family assistance which will be pretty substantial if you're on one income.

Perth will be dearer to live in (more rent!) than Melbourne.

Hi

I agree with Bob, not that I have ever been to OZ but from conversations with others and 100's of hours researching on the net. I am currently in the UK and am earning a good salary however this was not always the case. In the beginning we were living on the breadline but then again we did not live much higher in SA...

Good luck anyway!

Juba