Private Healthcare in Australia

Riekie

Hi Everyone,

I had a look at a private medical top up policy on iselect, and coverage was restricted to within the Australian borders - i.e. no foreign coverage.

I have PR, but am working outside the country at present. Am I covered by medicare or not?

Thanks,

Tex

Are you working for an Australian company?

Hi Everyone,

I had a look at a private medical top up policy on iselect, and coverage was restricted to within the Australian borders - i.e. no foreign coverage.

I have PR, but am working outside the country at present. Am I covered by medicare or not?

Thanks,

Tex

Are you working for an Australian company?

No, its a US based company that does not offer medical insurance / medical aid benefits. Until now we have been covered worldwide by our own private expat policy with a company based in the UK. Its complicated, but it works. Its also hellishly expensive - USD1000 per month for the 3 of us. If an Australian company can offer a better deal for permanent residents living temporarily overseas (as in a year or two), I'd like to know about it.

Tex

• 2 years later...

On a 136 visa you have access to Medicare, but Medicare in Australia is not a comprehensive as the NHS in the UK. It does not cover things like dental and so there are quite a large proportion of Australians that take "top-up" cover. All workers (PR and citizens) pay 1.5% of their gross salary as a medicare levy AND an additional 1% of their gross salary (if they do not have appropriate private medical insurance).

We came across a useful site to look at private medical insurance, which may prove beneficial to 457 and 136 visa holders.

www.iselect.com.au

Only people over the income thresholds pay the additional 1% if they don't have private hospital insurance.

"You have to pay the surcharge if you are:

- a single person with an annual taxable income for MLS purposes greater than $77,000 in the 2010-11 financial year (increasing to $80,000 in 2011-12); or

- a family or couple with a combined taxable income for MLS purposes greater than $154,000 in the 2010-11 financial year (increasing to $160,000 in 2011-12). The family income threshold increases by $1,500 for each dependent child after the first;

and do not have an approved hospital cover with a registered health fund."

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/mls.htm

Note that while free dental is no where near as comprehensive as the NHS it does have some services like:

- free dental hospitals for low income people - long waits and usually dental students

- free childrens dental buses that attend schools for general dental.

- Teen voucher program for teens to bring to private dentist - only around $150. Means tested. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/dental-teen

- Public hospital dental care for acute medical dental issues.

Edited by Fish

Just a practical comment on this one guys - private medicine in Oz hospitals is very different to what we have (? had - I left eight years ago) - the most important difference is when you have an emergency - There is no fancy private emergency departments - everybody goes to the public system if you have an urgent problem like a heart attack or car accident. If you are extremely lucky you may get a transfer to a private doctor once you are stabilized but often this would only happen the next day at the earliest.

Having said that I advise all my patients to get Private insurance if they can afford it - for elective things like knee arthroscopies or endoscopies having private insurance make a huge difference in terms of who you see and how long you wait. Waiting time for a private gastroscopy for instance can be only a few weeks while if you are a public patient you can wait up to two years.

I usually try and explain to people that the system here is somewhere between the UK NHS and the private system in the RSA

T

That might be a Canberra thing. In Brisbane we have major private hospitals with fancy emergency departments. ;) I imagine all large capitals have the same.

Mater Private Emergency Department:

http://www.mater.org.au/Home/Hospitals/Mater-Private-Hospital-Brisbane/Emergency-Care-Centre

Greenslopes Prvate Emergency Department:

http://www.greenslopesprivate.com.au/Services/facilities-emergency-centre.aspx

Mater Children's Hospital Emergency Department:

http://www.mater.org.au/Home/Services/Paediatric-Emergency-Medicine

I think they only cover you if you have the baby after being on the Health insurance for 12 months.

But there might be some out there that give you cover sooner?

I'm pretty sure you are covered for birth on the public system if you are on a 457.

The 12 month waiting period on private insurance is usually from the birth date not the conception date so you usually only need the insurance 3 months before you fall pregnant.

PLEASE NOTE: Incorrect info. You are not covered by Medicare if you are on a 457, only if you are on PR. HOWEVER, if you have put in your application for PR, then you can apply for Medicare. (Mara)

Note that the iSelect website does not compare many of the major private hospital funds.

It only uses funds that are willing to pay its fee for being listed with them.

Even with funds it does compare it does not always compare all plans offered by the fund - only the plans the fund wishes to list with iSelect.

Fish, you are not covered under Medicare if you are on a 457, only if you have PR.

Fish, you are not covered under Medicare if you are on a 457, only if you have PR.

Sorry, my apologies, I'm so used to answering on British sites where they are covered for some Medicare on a 457 through the reciprocal agreement. Note to self, South Africa is not the UK. :)

• Like 1