Traditional Australian food?

Guest natalie3

Guest natalie3

Again,,,this may seem like a silly question, but what dishes are australian traditions eg malva pudding, boereworse, milktart..

I want to get a feel for the authentic oz food..now im not talking mompani worms or chicken feet and heads-type food (although the weird stuff is also welcome)..i mean generally.

Pavlova

Carrot cake

Wild peaches (Quandongs)

. . . . . . yum!

Tim Tams

Beetroot on burgers

Seafood on the beach......prawns, crabs, lobster, fish......and chips....with a local produced ginger beer. :rolleyes:

The fish in chips in Oz is awesome!! Way better than here in SA.

Seafood on the beach......prawns, crabs, lobster, fish......and chips....with a local produced ginger beer. :hug:

• 3 weeks later...

Let's not forget about the barbequed lamb chops mate!!!!!

Andre

I don't know if there is any 'traditional' food a bit deeper in the outbacks but here it is fairly 'normal'.

I watch a lot of the food channels on tv and it is mostly wonderful fish dishes with salads and veg. I know for a fact that US ozzies love seafood in any form.

A great variety of fish, lobster, mud crabs and prawns are prepared freshly and they love to barbie. Prawns, steak and chicken on the barbie. Don't forget the lamb! I've yet to see any chef or cook preparing kangaroo or anything strange on tv or in the Australian cookbooks.

All I know is that every thing is fresh and delicious! But more or less the same as in SAfrica.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.....

They love their meat pies and sausage rolls. You will also see a lot of 'footy francs' - just awful horrible bright pink vienna type sausages that they dip in tomato sauce. The local sausage is a called a snag. Roast lamb is a traditional favourite and the more adventurous will eat Kangaroo. The Ausies also love their fast food like pizza, chicken nuggets, burgers and chips.

Kids will munch on vegemite sandwiches, snakes (jellie sweets), and chomp on Anzac bikkies and custard slices (sometimes referred to as snot blocks). In South Australia they have a thing called a pie floater which is a meat pie floating in a bowl of grean pea soup. I've never tried it but I believe it's quite tasty!

No kids party is complete without "Fairy Bread" Before you get excited................its white bread and butter with hundreds and thousands sprinkled over. They just love it.

"custard slices (sometimes referred to as snot blocks)."

Doesn't that just sound DELIGHTFUL!! :blink: Ugh, I think I actually have goosebumps!!

Some of the other grub sounds good - don't know about the floater. :unsure:

Like the idea of fairy bread. How descriptive is that?? :)

And soooo happy 'bout the seafood.

What does the beetroot on burger thing taste like?? :whome:

Damper and Lamingtons. Here are recipes with a bit of history.

Australian Damper Bread

This is a traditional bread baked in the coals of an open fire or in a Dutch Oven (huge lidded cast iron pot) but nowadays we bake it in a normal oven. Of course there are as many variations as there are days in the years but the basic recipe is as follow:-

Ingredients

• 4 cups self-raising flour

• 3/4 - 1 teaspoon salt

• 2 teaspoons sugar

• 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature

• 1 cup milk

• 1/2 cup water

Method

• Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and mix in the sugar.

• Rub in the butter with your (clean) hands until a fine breadcrumb texture is achieved.

• For a well in the top of the flour, pour in the milk and water, and mix well with a knife until the dough come clean from the sides of the bowl.

• Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and silky, like a baby's bottom.

• Shape into a mounded loaf, (some people cut a deep cross in the top) and bake in a preheated oven, 200 c / 400 F, for 25 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 180 c / 375 f and cook a further 10 - 15 minutes until done. The loaf should be a light golden brown colour and sound hollow when tapped.

• If you are "game" try cooking it on a camp fire; nothing beats that extra smoky flavour, especially using Australian Eucalyptus wood to give it that special something. If you are cooking in an oven at home, try putting a few Gum Leaves in the over to smoke as your are cooking the bread.

Damper is very similar to Irish Soda Bread, and probably developed from recipes brought over by Irish immigrants/convicts.

Variations of the basic recipe are seemingly endless, but you could try substituting other liquids, such as beer for a darker colour/flavour, or varying the ratio of milk to water, and so on. Try adding more sugar and butter and some dried fruits for a dessert damper. Basically use your imagination.

If you are cooking on an open fire you could try wrapping the dough in aluminium foil before you place it in the coals, or even try wrapping the dough around a stick and cooking suspended over the flames.

Australian Lamingtons Recipe

The easy way

Ingredients

• 1 slab sponge cake (one day old)

• 4 cups icing sugar

• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1/2 cup milk

• 2 - 3 cups desiccated coconut

To make the icing

• Cool the cake for at least half an hour in the Fridge or Freezer, then cut into squares or fingers

• Combine the Sugar and Cocoa in a large bowl

• Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted.

• Add to the sugar/cocoa mixture and mix to a fluid yet not runny consistency

To put it all together

• Make a production line of Sponge Fingers, Chocolate Icing mixture in a bowl, coconut in a shallow container or plate, and a cooling rack with paper underneath.

• Using a fork dip the sponge fingers into the icing, roll it in the coconut covering it well, and then place on to the rack to dry.

• Once they have dried, place in an airtight container and leave to "mature" for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, before eating.

Good Baking!

Beetroot on burgers are yummy! We removed it the first few times, now we put beetroot slices on our home made burgers!