Suburbs in Brisbane

BeeTee

Hi guys,

My wife and I have been here for a month and a half, and we are now starting to look at renting a bigger place. We've been thinking about renting and buying asap in an area that is nice, close to public transport (buses using the busways FTW!!! :blush: ) and shopping centres, and there HAS to be at least ADSL broadband in the area :ilikeit: .

Any Brisbanites out there willing to give their input into this? We've been thinking Holland Park, or one of the Mt Gravatt's...Greenslopes...those kinds of areas...we are currently in Jindalee, and ride to the bus station every morning where we park the car for the day and then take the bus from there, problem is the bus has to travel on the highway, and then through some very busy sections...

Trains are out of the question as the nearest station is in Darra...

Any ideas?

BT

:)

Hi BT,

I think we have had a chat along these lines before you guys arrived. I remember you guys had a serious issue with the commute. Whilst I can only comment on the suburbs surrounding us I think you need to look at any suburb that is closer to trainlines. I think they are a much better option for a commute. Also not dependent on prevailing traffic conditions obviously.

May I suggest suburbs on the bayside (south east) and closer to the trainlines. Closer to the city consider Cooparoo, Morningside, etc (more expensive I think) the average distance away Wynnum, Manly, Wakerly, Lota. Then slightly further Thornside, Birkdale, Wellington point, Ormiston and Cleveland ( end of the line - ave time to the city from here 55 mins) The area roughly from Thornside to the south east is known as the Redlands shire (as an added bonus still only have level 2 water restrictions) We live in Ormiston, and I commute by car, leaving 0740 am it takes me 40-45mins to get to the city, with no stress and rarely do we have traffic jams on the way. Normal time the trip to the city is 35mins (32kms) ( you can't there faster, with traffic lights and sticking to the speed limits)

Obviously there are other great suburbs along other trainlines, maybe investigate them too. Isn't it weird that over here it is seen as an advantage to live closer to public transport especially trains, whereas in RSA you'd wan to stay the hell away from them!

CommuterBUG

Edited by chatterbug

Hi Guys

Thanks for the great post.

My Wife and I are looking at moving to Brisbane in Dec and would apreciate any aditional info you can give.

Anything regarding living in Brisbane will do.

Thanks a mil

Hi Guys

Thanks for the great post.

My Wife and I are looking at moving to Brisbane in Dec and would apreciate any aditional info you can give.

Anything regarding living in Brisbane will do.

Thanks a mil

Hi RuanJ,

I am also looking at moving to Brisbane, hopefully in December.... have a look at the Our Brisbane website, I think found it to be really helpful as its got loads of info about Brisbane. :offtopic:

Good Luck

Nicky

Hi Nicky

Thanks for the reply. Awsome website.

check these links that I have also found :

http://www.brisbane-australia.com/

http://www.brisbane247.com/category.asp?find=21&pc=210

http://www.australianexplorer.com/brisbane_information.htm

If you find anything cool about Brisbane please let me know.

My e-mail address is ruan.jamneck@hotmail.com

thanks

Hi Nicky and RuanJ,

It's good that you check out those websites. If you guys need any more info about Brisbane, or just an opinion, I'll try to be of more assistance. I have been in Brisbane for 2,5 years now and have explored the city and environs quite extensively. You can also use the search function, at the top right hand corner of the page and search everything on here pertaining to Brisbane. You'll get alot of info. I live in the Redlands area (generally called the "bayside" East to South East of the city) fairly close to the water.

A commonly held misconception about Brisbane for those who have not visited yet, is that it is on the coast. Well it is sort-of. It is about 30 km upstream in the Brisbane river. You can reach the city from the sea by boat however. The suburbs to the east is towards the coast - this is bayside living, there are no waves in the bay because it is protected by 3 huge (and many smaller) islands. This obviously makes for great boating, sailing and safe water activities. Surf beaches start on the sunshine coast 70-80kms North and Surfer's paradise 70-80km south of Brisbane. The rest inbetween is made up of many interconnecting waterways, islands and mangroves.

Anyway enough rambling on from me!

Brissie BUG

Edited by chatterbug