457 + acknowledged PR

Antoinette

If you have a 457 AND an acknowledged PR application you qualify for medicare and centrelink benefits. Does anybody know if you qualify for subsidised schooling?

Hi Antionette,

Until you actually get your PR visa, you'll need to pay the Temporary Residence school fees (this applies in NSW - I'm afraid I don;t know about other states...). These are paid annually in advance, but once your PR visa is granted, then you will get a pro-rata refund within about a month. After that, as a PR visa holder, public schooling is prettymuch free, although they have what they call 'voluntary contributions" which they hassle you endlessly for... :thumbdown:

Cheers

Ajay

Hi daar.

Nee ongelukig kwalifiseer n mens nie op n 457 vir enige vooredele vir n skool nie.

Urs

In WA if you kids are in a State school your school fees are voluntary and if you do want to pay them it's minimal. I pay $90 for two boys aged 5 and 9 each year and we are on a 457 visa.

Wendy

• 1 month later...

I have tried to find out if one has to pay school fees in Melbourne at a govn school if you are on a 457 visa.

Can anyone help with question

Penny

You pay whatever everyone else in Victoria pays, your child is not regarded as a foreign student. This only happens in NSW and ACT.

See this post:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=7084

Hi Penny,

As Mara mentioned , in Melbourne everybody pays the same school fees, even on a 457 visa.

I have two daughters in secondary school.

You pay per elective subject, some cost more than others music, art etc.

Grade 9 - $402,40 per year

Grade 11 - $533,60 per year

The schools doesnot provide any Text books and it cost $720.00 for both my kids books.

School clothes, winter, cost $ 410.00 per child.

Shoes $100.00 per child

If your kids are in secondary school, they will really enjoy the choice in subjects.

On a 457 visa you do not qualify for Medicare and have to take out your own medical aid.

We used Medibank, the largest private medical aid in Oz but even here we did not qualify for the $100.00 glasses/sun glasses voucher when you open a new account with them, because we are on a 457 visa.

It seems that we are paying a bit higher taxes as well but still have to confirm that.

The 457 visa is the most costly for a person, comparing it to others.

So make provision for a few unexpected cost here and there.

When we landed we exhanged SA Rand, in cash, for Aussie dollar at a cost of R8.10 for $1.00 but i heared that the JSE improved a bit.

All the best

Willie

Thank you for your replies. Just needed to clear that up. We are saving like crazy for all these unexpected expenses.

Penny

Penny,

We are on a 457 visa and paid a total $560 for the year for two children in primary school (Grade 0 and 4) in the Melbourne area. No other payments were required for stationary and text books and it also included most excursions, although we still pay for certain excursions, but it is only about $10 per occasion. School clothes for both of them were approximately $750 (winter and summer clothes).

DdP

As was mentioned before, it's only in NSW and ACT that temp visa holders have to pay the huge temporary residents school fees. BUT!!!!!! You can apply for an exemption. The forms are all on the education dept web site. We were granted an exemption of the $4500 per child up front fees till 2010. I paid $110 for each application (2 school going children) and the education dept phoned me in person 2 days later to say the exemption had been granted. They hold decisions weekly. It was a huge relief.

Also, we were initially paying around 30% tax on the 457, but thanks to someone on this forum, we found out that we were elligible to be taxed as residents. There is a link on the ATO website where it asks you if you are a resident for tax purposes and you can do an online assessment. It depends on things like your whole family being here, if all your assests are here, you have been or intend staying for more than 6 months etc. I even phoned the tax office to double check and it was correct. We now enjoy a good few extra dollars in the pocket per week.

Back to the school fees. We just gave them a copy of my husband's contract, told them that I am not working, our lease agreement which showed our weekly rental and a breakdown of our weekly expenses. Bit more paperwork, but well worth it. I now pay $55 for the year for both girls to attend a public school.

Hope this helps.

Candice

We arrived on a 457 with PR lodged and acknowledged, it helped us get the subsidy. We were at a private school in QLD and initially they wanted to charge us Temp Res fees but reviewed so you need to speak to them. I think like so many other things in Australia, rules are different for each state AND each school.

Hi Colton

Please can you clear something up for me. You arrived on a 457 visa. How soon can you apply for the PR visa. I have tried to find this on the forum and some say you have to work for 2 years before this can happen. My would like to get all the paperwork in place here in SA - police clearance, medicals for my husband and I so that once we land we can start the process. If there is a waiting period then it is not worth doing all this prior to leaving.

Regards

Penny

Hi there

You can apply for a 175 General Skills visa immediately if you have enough points, but you would need to leave Australia and be out the country when the visa is granted. You can also get extra points for Australian work experience so if you are short it is worth waiting till you have enough Australian experience.

If your company is willing to sponsor you then you would need to apply for ENS visa. I know most companies are sticky and will only let you apply after 2 years, I am not sure if this is the law. I somehow think that you can apply before the 2 years but then you still need a skills assessment. Some companies like ours employ thousands of people on a 457 visa so are not willing to sponsor PR, check with your company as to what they are prepared to do.

Chat to Ajay she will be able to advise on the ENS or check out the immi site for the ENS visa.

Good Luck

Penny,

Thanks to Sa2oz you have the answer. ;) We initially applied for our own PR visa while still in RSA, while we were waiting hubby got offered a 457 to get here sooner, we jumped at the chance and got PR a few months after landing. Everything depends on if you have enough points.

Thank you both for your replies. I now understand how this will work

Penny