Anyone heard of Port Macquarie?

Die Krugers

Hi All!

My dad has been living in NZ for 10 years now - how the time flies!! He has been to Oz a few times, not too many actually. He said that if he could choose where to stay in Oz, it would be Port Macquarie in NSW (and his second choice is Perth).

Is there anyone that's been there? We are planning on going to Adelaide, but there is no harm in looking at other alternatives...

For me the important thing is whether hubby will be able to get a job there, if not really, we won't even consider it.

He is a tradie - electrical and mechanical and has worked in an open-cast mine before (not sure if there are any mines close to Port Macquarie).

Thanks for the info - maybe Bob in his 'infinite wisdom' of Oz can give some info :ilikeit:

I think my dad implied that their weather is one of the best, compared to the rest of Oz.

Thanks a mil!

Tania

Funny, we also looked at Port Macquarie, but after hearing that it's mainly a holiday destination, we were concerned that there wouldn't be enough opportunities for us. That together with the very hot & humid climate has resulted in us deciding on Perth or 2nd choice of Adelaide.

It looks stunning from the pics, maybe we'll move there one day :ilikeit:

From what i understand most of the mines are in Western Oz? i could be mistaken though.

Funny, we also looked at Port Macquarie, but after hearing that it's mainly a holiday destination, we were concerned that there wouldn't be enough opportunities for us. That together with the very hot & humid climate has resulted in us deciding on Perth or 2nd choice of Adelaide.

It looks stunning from the pics, maybe we'll move there one day :ilikeit:

Hi Tania,

My hubby is also a tradie, also electrical and mechanical, he went for an interview for a 457 sponsorship last week thursday and we are just waiting to hear.

Lots of the trdesman go to Perth as its easier to fly in and fly out from there to the mines. Wwestern Oz is also extending one of its biggest rail lines so tradesman are needed there too.

Candice

Port MacQuarieis about half an hour's drive north east along the coast from Newcastle (150 kms north of Sydney)

We spent a few days there last year, going to an Anzac Day service with all the veterans and Aussies who had relatives involved in the World Wars.

It drizzled with rain for the whole three days we were there, but the climate being semi-tropical wasn't cold at all.

It is pretty much geared up for the retired folk out of Sydney where they can live in one of the retirement villages there, put their little boat in the water of the bay for a spot of fishing and go for a walk along the sanddunes of the Ocean.

Good spot for a holiday, taking the kids even.

Also a good spot if you are in one of the "service industries" like nursing, electrical or plumbing so that all the "oldies" can live out the rest of their days comfortably being looked after.

We camp at Port Macquarie regularly, it is a really beautiful place and the camp site is right on the beach, well at least the one we go to. It is quite a popular holiday spot for many. Really laid back, no stresses and very beautiful. Work is a problem though and therefore it doesn't have that many "working" people. Popular with backpackers too.

Hi there - I dont think there will be much doing for either of you in Port Macquarie - great place for holiday but not for working when you have to start out again.

If your husband had trades like that - you can also look at Queensland - many open cast mines here too and a lot of development. check out Gladstone, Mackay and Rockhampton. Depends on whether you want to live in the Sunshine state or not.

Pat

Hi Guys

Thanks, that helps a lot!

I was curious about it, seeing that my dad likes the place so much - but I don't think we will look at moving there after I've read your replies. We definately don't want to go to a humid climate, and thought maybe it was not so humid, being more south of Brisbane and closer to Sydney.

We definately don't want to go to a holiday destination or retirement-type villiage, so I think we'll stick to Adelaide with Perth as the second choice. Everything I have read tells me that Adelaide is the type of town we will be happy in, so hold thumbs that hubby gets a nice position there once our visa comes through!

Thanks to all for the replies, and especially to Bob - who seems to know almost everything!! :rolleyes:

Tania