Wireless?

Antoinette

Hi all. When I was in high school Computer studies was an additional subject and only 4 students (sorry "lerners") took it. Now I am going to ask a really stupid question. I stretched my mind the other day and got an ADSL connection for my computer through telkom. It came with a free wireless modem. Now this is my confusion. The thing has a line from the telephone socket to the modem and a line from the modem to the computer. So where is the wireless part? Which bit is supposed to be wireless? I need to figure this out as I want to get an internet connection ASAP after landing in Oz and want to get up to date with technology. My oldest is only four so he can't help me yet.

Hi Antoinette,

The "wireless part" will replace the cable from the modem to the computer. Most modern laptops have wireless networking capability built-in, for older ones and desktop PC you get wireless cards that you put into your PC or that you plug into a available USB port on your PC.

The nice thing about this is that you can sit anywhere in your home (theoretically) and connect to your ADSL modem (and thus the Internet) wirelessly.

Stix

Thanks Stix! Now I understand!

More questions, please. I am very pleased with the speed of my ADSL connection. I am using the port for network connections (it has a name but I can't remember what it is). I don't think I will get good speeds on my computer using a USB card as my laptop still have USB 1 ports, correct? It does have a card slot and I have a "USB 2 cardbus" thinggamagobby wich I use for downloading pictures from the camera but it is seems I need to upgrade to 1G RAM as the computer hangs fequently when using it. Will I get speeds similar to when I am using the cable-to-network port connection if I use the usb2 cardbus. I know my laptop has a wireless infrared type device in it. Don't know what it is for.

Regards

Hi Antoinette,

USB1 had speeds of up to 12Mbps. The fastest ADSL connection available in South Africa at the moment is 4Mbps, so the throughput of USB1 is far greater than the throughput of the Internet connection.

In Australia, however, you can get ADSL2+ in certain areas which, theoretically, can go up to 20Mbps++, although most users probably hover around 8-10Mbps (not sure about this as I never had a connection like this!). So you will not be able to get full-speed ADSL2+ on USB1, but it should still be fast enough for anything under 10Mbps (which is FAST!).

Stix

Thanks Stix you are a superstar.

A - one of the wireless providers in Aus is unwired if you are interested.

Good Luck

S

A - one of the wireless providers in Aus is unwired if you are interested.

Good Luck

S

OK, that sounds like it could be good. We are going to travel around while we wait for the container so wireless will probably be the best option. I am still amazed at technology.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Stix! Now I understand!

More questions, please. I am very pleased with the speed of my ADSL connection. I am using the port for network connections (it has a name but I can't remember what it is). I don't think I will get good speeds on my computer using a USB card as my laptop still have USB 1 ports, correct? It does have a card slot and I have a "USB 2 cardbus" thinggamagobby wich I use for downloading pictures from the camera but it is seems I need to upgrade to 1G RAM as the computer hangs fequently when using it. Will I get speeds similar to when I am using the cable-to-network port connection if I use the usb2 cardbus. I know my laptop has a wireless infrared type device in it. Don't know what it is for.

Regards

I have an adsl2+ wireless modem and an adsl2+ connection. My speed dropped from around 16Mbps to around 7Mbps when I used the wireless connection rather than the cable connection on my modem. Obviously I don’t use the wireless connection anymore. It is affected by distance between your pc and modem, walls in between, etc.

I have an adsl2+ wireless modem and an adsl2+ connection. My speed dropped from around 16Mbps to around 7Mbps when I used the wireless connection rather than the cable connection on my modem. Obviously I don’t use the wireless connection anymore. It is affected by distance between your pc and modem, walls in between, etc.

This is true!! Hubby and son's PC's are hard wired and I use my wireless. (sit on the verandah and smoke and drink coffee and visit the forum!! We don't smoke in the house.) My speed is much slower than theirs BUT it's still a hellova lot faster than in SA!!!

I've yet to see anything wireless in SA goes faster than 1.8 Mbs. Even though VC claims 3.6... it is wishful thinking. Same for MTN who is testing 7.2 in CT. Not working yet.