Nut allergy - help

Gizmo

Yesterday evening we had some new friends over for a braai.

They have three children - one of which is in our two-year olds creche class.

All was going very well until...

Somehow Nina (our 2 year old) got hold of a cashew nut.

Anyway, she came to me and told me that she had a peanut stuck and kept opening her mouth. I looked inside, but couldn't see anything, so told her it was fine. She kept insisting to my husband and I. (Apparently this is a sign that the vocal chords and trachea are swelling).

We were discussing while looking at Nina the possibility of nut allergies, but not too worried, as she has had peanut butter biscuits a couple of times. Nina now getting rather upset - looked at her face and suddenly realized that her bottom lip was getting swollen. Told hubby to take her to ER immediately. Grabbed her and put her in car - in just about 30 seconds, her lips and lower face were swollen and she was gasping!!! Fortunately the hospital is only two minutes drive away.

Anyway, she had a massive allergic reaction. The meds helped - she could breath, but her lip swelling wouldn't come down. They were also worried that her tongue would swell up during the night, so we had to stay over. I came to hospital with our friends and a bag and then DH went back to home with our friends to complete the braai. (They were barely back home when the power went off, and stayed off all night... but they still managed to eat and socialize a bit). I, on the other hand had to sleep in a lazyboy in the paediatric ward with a father of the only other patient there (a little boy one week older than Nina). Hardly slept.

Finally, after much antihistamines, Ninas lip and swelling is down and we are home. They took bloods to test exactly which nuts she is allergic to - I suspect it will be the tree-nut variety, since she has had no problems with ground nuts.

I am so totally freaked by this whole incident. Nobody in either hubbies or my family had allergies like this at all! To those of you with similar serious allergies - how do you cope? I am now freaked about her getting hold of another nut, maybe at creche or at a friends house....

The doc told us that next time the reaction would be far worse!!! What if we can't get her to the hospital on time???

Guest natalie3

Wow!! that is one scary story..

I have been told numerouse times to keep kids under 3 away from all nuts..peanuts included..

Its unfortunate, but how are u suppose to know they are allergic until it actually happens?..so dont beat yourself up about it..

Allergies can also develope out of no-where (my one friend ended up in hospital after a trip to ocean basket..boem at 28 shes suddenly allergic to shellfish)..my dad ..at the age of 35 suddenly cant eat peanut butter..sever migrane attacks etc..i say just be as diligent as u can in avoiding those she's allergic to and hope that she grows out of it..which also happens often..ill be thinking of u and your little girl!

Wow Gizzie frightning experience!!

I suggest you have an Epipen handy at all times. They are a bit expensive but woth while no doubt.

In Australia there are many people allergic to something they even watch the kiddie's lunchboxes at school i.e. even if a child is not allergic to peanuts nobody's allowed anything containing nuts in their lunch.

Don't worry she'll be all right.

Now for mommy's nerves, hey?

• 2 months later...

Hi Gizmo

I went through a whole drama with my daughter being allergic to milk protein and had to stay away from nuts, wheat ext. There are schools and kindy's (chresh) here that are peanut free buildings. Staff are also trained in giving a epipen (adrenalin injection). You will just have to make sure that the school where your child will be going will be a peanut of nut free school. Clear it up with the school principle. It is a great concern here and they are willing to make it a nut free zone for the whole school even if its only one child.

Peanut and nut allergies are one of the allergies that are on the rise - world over and the chances of getting it increase with your age.

Hope it helps you can also in South Africa ask about a epipen (adrenalin injection) it looks like a insulin injection that you can keep in your house for emergencies.

In Australia if you have child that has a nut allergy and they are anaphylactic the school or childcare center would usually implement a complete nut ban. My sister in law works as an early childhood teacher and they have a number of children that come into kindy with an epipen everyday. I also have a number of friends who’s children are anaphylactic to tree nuts it is a very common allergy amongst children. When you arrive in Australia have your child test through http://www.diagnosticinsight.com.au/ and then with a doc have a biochemical treatment program worked out for her. They are able to desensitize children, there is a lot of new research on the subject. You can access a great doc through the Mind Foundation and get more info on the matter at http://www.mindd.org/serendipity/archives....-Frontpage.html

Hi Gizmo

We're in the same boat with this one also! My daughter very nearly died when she was about 18 months old - By accident I gave her the wrong form of NAN (one that had milk in) when I took her off breastfeeding. I didn't know she was allergic to milk and when my son stormed into the kitchen telling me Shine was turning blue .....!

Anyway got them in the car , speeding over all the red robots, telling them to shake her to keep her awake. Got her at hospital, they gave her oxygen and like in a flash when her colour turned ok her whole body was covered in this rash. Stayed overnight with her (also in chair like you !!).

Anyway long story short-had her tested for allergies with results: nuts, dairy products, potatoes, bananas, ag the list goes on and on. After all these years she has adapted to not being able to eat these stuff or containing it and she as well as us have adapted. (with some very tense moments when eating out or visiting though). She sometimes also gets exzema (skin rash/allergic dermatitis). Just get a cream for this at your local chemist.

The epiphen a great idea but yes expensive, it can only be used once, and it expires.

Try Celestamine Syrup (antihistamine) or when old enough Celestamine tablets. She also has asthma and has to use her asthma pump or we put her on her inhalation machine.

I'm just SO GLAD to hear the schools over their are so considerate regarding nut allergies - over here they don't give a hoot !!!. Will DEFINITELY visit sites given by you .

Thank you all SO MUCH !!! from my side as well !!

Naomi

Hi Gizmo

That must have been such a scary experience for you, you poor thing!

Just to back up what so many other people have said - here in Oz the schools, daycare centres etc are really on top of things when it comes to food allergies, I think you will find most of them have a total nut ban in place just in case.

You can also look into the Orgran product range http://www.orgran.com/ they accommodate families with allergies and food intolerances. If you can get hold of a copy of Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies by Kenneth Bock it is def a great read and provides some good advice in how you can possibly help your child.

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this, because my daughter (2) has also been suffering from allergies from birth. She is allergic to milk (all milk proteins) as well as peanuts. We have also lived with an Epipen and always very worried about taking her to children's parties, our friends' houses etc. Because people who don't live with it, don't take it seriously enough.

We are not in Australia yet, but are planning to go - I find it very frustrating here that all the schools can tell you is that they will write it down in their book that she is allergic.

I'm afraid that does not help at all - if she goes into anaphylactic shock there is NO TIME to faff around - if the teacher has her back turned it might already be too late.

That's why she is missing out on school and friends now as I have her stay at home with a nanny.

So I will be very glad if we are in Aus and the schools take it seriously - because none of the daycares here are nut-free zones.

It's been very difficult for us, especially because our eldest daughter, 5 yrs - is not allergic to anything and she has had to learn to sit outside and eat chocolate or anything that has a warning on it, and then go through rigorous hand washing etc. and not to ever leave her breakfast bowl lying around etc.

We are hoping she will outgrow both allergies, because her peanut allergy score went down from a 7.68 to a 0.94 in a year - however, the doctors still advise us that this is still dangerous and we should not try and give her any peanuts.

It's great to know there are other moms out there who understand this - because its so difficult when your friends don't understand how your life changes when your child has an allergy like this!

Good luck to you all out there and if you need some advice on what they are not allowed/ are allowed to eat for milk and peanut allergies, PM me, I've been doing this for a while and have been through many children's parties with enough sweets for all - none of which containing milk or peanuts/traces!

Glad to read that we are not the only ones!

The outcome from Ninas testing is that she is only allergic to cashew nuts.

I am quite relieved as it is an expensive nut and therefore doesn't get used very often in foods - at least not often like almonds or coconut.

Actually the story of the test results was quite funny. I sat in the doctors office while he opened the results... and was supprised to see a completely baffled expression on his face. We all joke about how bad doctors handwriting can be (with the exception of Boo on this forum :) ) - anyway, Pathcare misread his handwriting and tested for pigeon feathers instead of peanuts and nut varieties!!! :):P So, they had to retest... and she is only allergic to cashews - very allergic though.

We ended up without an epipen, as the doctor said that for Ninas age and weight, it could have too many serious adverse effects. We have two medicines instead - ummm the one is a strong antihystamine and the other I *think* is quaterzone? Anyway - it is the same stuff that was given to her at the hospital. It has a long shelf-life and isn't exensive. I have a bottle of each at home and there is a bottle of each at her creche.

I must say, Nina's creche has been fabulous! All the teachers there were briefed on Ninas condition and how/when to administer the medication. On top of it - they have impletmented a full nut-ban on the creche (even though she is only allergic to cashews). No child may bring any snack containing nuts to the creche - even peanut butter sandwiches. Glad to hear that it will be the same in Aus. :whome:

Edited by Gizmo