Joubert Labuschagne: So Why Not?

Joubert Labuschagne

Hi all, so here I am, making contact with likeminded people who either have made or plan to make their way down-under, so obviously I have a million questions, but that can wait for now, what i would like to know before we start is 'The Reasons for why NOT"

I am not reffering to stuff regarding how pretty SA is and how there is crime all over the world etc etc.

I am talking about the hard stuff, is it really worth it, must I realy consider this or is it not all it is cut out to be, if you guys look back...would you reconsider?

My mind is pretty much made up :ilikeit: but I need to hear it from the horse's mouth, I need to know..."SO WHY NOT"

Guest natalie3
Hi all, so here I am, making contact with likeminded people who either have made or plan to make their way down-under, so obviously I have a million questions, but that can wait for now, what i would like to know before we start is 'The Reasons for why NOT"

I am not reffering to stuff regarding how pretty SA is and how there is crime all over the world etc etc.

I am talking about the hard stuff, is it really worth it, must I realy consider this or is it not all it is cut out to be, if you guys look back...would you reconsider?

My mind is pretty much made up :ilikeit: but I need to hear it from the horse's mouth, I need to know..."SO WHY NOT"

howdi rookie

I have started a list with 2 columns (did this the day before we decided to sign with the agent)...one column is "reasons to go"..the other "reasons to stay"...i have 2 reasons to stay...family & friends....

I wont bore u with the reasons to go..but im currently on 23...

Hey JL

I have to agree with Natalie, the only thing I miss is the family and then for me AT THIS STAGE( we have only been here a month and a week) it is the familiarity of ZA. Thats the only reason I would stay, because trust me it is an adjustment you have to go through. Your emotions are going haywire, especially womens'. But I believe in the near future i will feel normal again.

So, as to answer your question: If your mates and your family and your comfort zone are more important than your kids and your own future.. then NOT!

This is one of the hardest things you will do.

Regards

Howdy...

For me, the hardest part about living away from SA is missing friends and family.

Sometimes it's hard for people to adapt from things that they enjoy back home, such as rugby, braais, etc. If you're very set in your ways and aren't prepared to compromise, you're in for a tough time. It's all about finding substitutes. (for example, I get up at 4am to watch the Sharks Rugby on Foxtel :unsure: )

That's about it. Sure, there are plenty of things that are different, and not quite like you're used to back in SA, but most of them have a corresponding positive, and if you're able to adapt, you'll be fine.

I have had a rotten day at school with all sorts of :unsure: happening.

But you know what?

I STILL wouldn't go back.

I also made a list once. Then I found out I was trying to convince myself NOT to go.

As I've said before, trust your gut instincts.

Now, where is that G&T?......

Ja you see, I am most probably looking for an excuse not to go but seeing the positive way in which you guys replied I wonder again...you see i actually have no good reason for leaving except the fact that i need a change of scenery and i am young enough to make a bold move

ten years from now i will most likely regret not going...

I'm not trying to persuade you at all, no, really I'm not! :censored:

But 15 years ago my sister applied for me to get to Aus from Aus. Back then I could have walked in off the plane with no hassles.

But who can ever see into the future?

I was happy in Africa, with my life as it was. I had no need, urge or reason to emigrate.

Now we are this far down the track and everything has changed (dare I say for the worse?). I have been very lucky in getting here as I have on my own, and it would be very easy for me to cry over lost opportunities from back then.

But I won't do that.

We all have our own decisions to make and as long as we can live with them every day, then who can argue that the decisions were wrong?

Coming to Aus doesn't mean you have to stay here forever.

But if you don't give it a try......???

Good luck in your ponderings!

Why not

"should i stay or should I go"

1. My family

2. My friends

3. My animals

4. My home

5. My way

:censored: Col

Never made a list of pro's or con's - just know it's the right thing for our family. We don't know anybody there, currently don't have jobs, nor have we ever been there.......

Life in SA - not what is used to be. I am sure once we get there, we will have up's and down's, high's and low's - mainly because we are leaving all our family behind. My husband suggested, that before we go, we draw up a list - "Reason's for leaving". We have it laminated, when we get there, we stick it on the fridge door and if it ever gets so bad, that we even for a second think we have made a mistake, we read it !!

I have read all over this forum, people who are over there, who are considering returning. I am sure it is not easy, so I am not judging anybody, each to their own.

We are going with the attitude that once we get there, no choice, we have to adapt and fit in. Hopefully, our family will all follow.

Maybe the cost

This seems to really get me down

Settling of 3 cars Approx R100000 (Diff between trade and owing)

Container R50000

Tickets for 3 R30000

Purchase of new car that side R50000

All the deposits that side and approx 2 months salary R70000

Agents fee R45000

Cheers

Paul :censored::censored::boxing:

I agree the costs are very high, it's nerve racking. When we started our investigation and chatting about the possibility of going, the Rand / A$ was about 6 / 1, now more than 7 ! So, sooner rather than later.....

Problem is, no amount of money in SA can buy and guarantee safety, so what's wealth, riches or possessions really worth ? Nothing ! I wonder how many other South Africans would be doing the same thing, if they could scrape enough together to do this, or if they didn't have pre existing medical conditions preventing them from obtaining a visa ? Seems to me, we are lucky. I am just closing my eyes and trusting that all will be well. Friends of ours are going to Wales, their conversion rate for us, is A - not an option, B - at least the weather in OZ is great !!

It's wonderful to hear how positive you are all being about your immigration. You have proberly won half the battle already :ilikeit: - having the right attitude can make or break your immigration experience. Keep your focus on all the positive things immigration will bring into your lives - far too many to count ! :whome: It is a fantastic adventure, not many people get to experience. I wish you all the best of luck in the world .......

Andrea

From the moment we made the decision there has been no option. I can taste and smell Australia. We WILL be there. No if, and or maybe.

But we haven't set down roots yet and we have no children. So for the two of us it is just a massive adventure!

Adventure is the word i was looking for all this time...and you know what i spoke with ma fiancee last night and she is more eager than ever, going on about revisiting NZ and all the places she frequented while she was on the cruise ships a couple of years back, both of us have a massive urge to travel abroad and we decided that this is the clear option

talking of which...what are the problems when migrating when we are not married? does it have an impact

Hi

Immigration is not easy, but necessary........., and if you think with the heart, which you will by the way, somewhere along the line, you'll find plenty of reasons to stay in South Africa, but think with your head, and all those reasons will be dismissed. I can think of plenty reasons to stay here in Oz but honestly, not many to return. Once you have tasted the freedom, and everything that goes with it, you know that you made the right decision.

Monica

Edited by Chikita