Compatibility of TV's

Ziggy

Me again. We bought two tv's on our arrival in Bloemfontein(Nov 05). A Panasonic and Telefunken. I want to take them with us, but am not sure if it will work on that side. The specifications on the Panasonic are as follows:

Systems:

1. PAL B,G,H

2. Pal i

3. Pal D,K

They are brand new and I do not want to sell it...Perhaps someone knows about this?

Thanks

Hi Tukino

I cannot tell you specifically whether or not they will work, all I can tell you is advice I saw given to somebody else a while ago. Apparently what is sometimes the problem is the sound, SA broadcasts on a different bandwidth than Australia.

The advice, bring them with. When you get here, if they do not work properly for some reason, go out and buy a local video machine for around $80 and connect the video to the tv. You then play the TV through the video, which of course has no problem with the local sound or picture. I thought it was excellent advice.

Hope that helps.

Mara

Hi Tukino,

We brought our cheap no name TV over, and it works just fine. My sister came over 5 years ago, and her TV's had no problems either.

What Mara says is also true. Bring them with you, if they don't work, there will be a way around it.

Greetings,

Dreamy

We brought our TV's (LG, Sony, Panasonic & Phillips) and they all work with reception through our VCR. Bring your TV's - TV's are quite expensive here but you can pick up a brand new VCR for as little as $40! (Once you get here and want to know how to do it, we can tell you how... ("We" as in "hubby" :holy: ) Both your TV brands are supported in Aus as well, should you later have any difficulties or need a service.

From what I remember, SA copied the UK 625-line TV standard, called PAL I.

Australia uses PAL B (VHF) and PAL G (UHF) (if you really want to know, the main difference from PAL I is slightly lower video bandwidth and the sound subcarrier is at +5.5Mhz instead of +6MHz). But it looks like your Panasonic, at least, will be OK since it supports PAL B and G. You might have to find some setting for this hidden in a setup menu.

Another option is to get a digital set top box. The analog PAL transmissions in Australian are supposed to be phased out - this was supposed to happen by 2008, but just recently 2010 to 2011 has been stated.

Ish, the little kangaroo's hopped over the bokkies... :o
That's a nice way to put it...... Not a nice thing to see - could not believe it!!.... B)

NZ trampled the roos so I don't have much hope for THAT game!!