Connectivity options in Melbourne

Craig Ramsbottom

Hi,

We arrive in Melbourne on the 17th March, and will need to get connected ASAP. I'll probably get a laptop from work, but would like to get some means of connecting to the internet at home.

Can anyone recommend the best option e.g. Cable, Broadband etc.

I'm also needing to arrange a cell phone for my wife, so if this can be bundled with any internet packages above, it would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

I am using Vodafone to connect, they have a broadband deal going at the moment, you get 5GB for $39, including a free modem. I think this is something worthwhile to look into.

Thanks Renier.

Does anyone else have any advice?

We'd prefer a broadband type connection, as we'll be renting initially and therefore don't want to install any fixed line in case we move.

Cheers,

Craig.

You could try Iburst, look for chilli iburst. Then you have a wireless broadband connection. But I dont think you can bundle that with your cell phone account. I have also been told that you need 3 months salary slips to get a cell phone contract so that is not always possible straight off the "boat".

I am using Vodafone to connect, they have a broadband deal going at the moment, you get 5GB for $39, including a free modem. I think this is something worthwhile to look into.

Hi Renier

Can I pick your brain please. We want to relocate to somewhere between Adelaide and Melbourne so either Vict or SA. A few questions please:

(I am very challenged technologically but don't worry it is not contagious)

Is it one of those things where you plug the modem into the computer and it dails via the satellite like a cellphone?

$39 for 5G sounds very good. We are currently using less than 1G and I am on the computer almost every day now.

Thanks Renier.

Does anyone else have any advice?

We'd prefer a broadband type connection, as we'll be renting initially and therefore don't want to install any fixed line in case we move.

Cheers,

Craig.

Does Renier's Vodafone connection have a fixed line?

You could try Iburst, look for chilli iburst. Then you have a wireless broadband connection. But I dont think you can bundle that with your cell phone account. I have also been told that you need 3 months salary slips to get a cell phone contract so that is not always possible straight off the "boat".

That is a problem. We want to start up on our own ....so we wont have salary slips.

OK, stop the bus. I've google iburst Australia and it seems they have a bit like "internet connections for dummies". Will go and read.

Edited by Antoinette