Harry: saying hi and good luck!

Harry

Hi there!

I think the folks from SACanada will probably fall on the floor and hold their heads, when they realise I have discovered SAAustralia. :)

We left SA as a family in middle 2000, to settle in Deep Cove, a village-suburb of Vancouver, BC in Canada. I'm a high tech kinda person, working for a large American high tech company that everyone knows by name. I handle patents for a living, as well as the attorneys that tend to come with that job. My wife has set herself up with her own consulting business, as part of which she renders Project Management Services and also some Intellectual Property services.

Our son is at University here, studying in the business direction. My mother lives with us and loves her garden and her kitchen. She has adapted very well to the neighbourhood and everyone here loves her....she's the block-granny, so to speak.

For the first three years I slaved on the house, because it is an old house and I had to fix it. One learns a lot in that process. That kind of stuff is very different in North america from SA or Australia.

At this point we consider ourselves settled, and have already voted in three different elections as citizens. We're deeply in love with our village of Deep cove, and I use the view through our bedroom window as my avatar.

I'd be happy to share experience in the matter of emigration from SA. I know nothing about kangaroos, wallabies, emus, koalas or wombats. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen a marsupial. Bears, coyotes, deer and raccons I can tell you a lot about, though. We have them in the yard.

I guess I could call myself an amateur photographer and will try to post some pictures now and then.

For now, I post the picture through the window in early December 2005.

5-11-30winter.jpg

As much as Harry thinks we will probably

fall on the floor and hold their heads
I must admit, you will be very blessed by the beautiful pictures he takes and his infinite wisdom on all things to do with life, immigration and Deep Cove. :huh:

Harry, nice to have you on this forum to. I think we can offer this forum a lot of insight into Attitudes of Canadian Immigration and I hope you might also help these folks with a "Where are We" map, like on SACanada.

Don't believe him when he says he is an amateur. I've seen his camera and read his dissertations on the purchase of all things technical! He is an Almost Professional! <_<

Hmmm, with a "fan" like Adele...who needs enemies! <_<

What a STUNNING photograph!!! We've been to Calgary & Banff. Canada is so beautiful, you can't describe it and it is very difficult for a photograph to do it justice, but you seem to have got it right!

Is the photo of where you live? If it is, then count your blessings - it is absolutely gorgeous!!

• 3 weeks later...

Riekie,

Sorry, man...Life's been a little rough the last few weeks, so I have not been around SAOZ.

Yes, that's the view from the bedroom window, though it is only a small angle of view...the camera does wonders, you know! One just points it...it goes zzzzzt-zzzt to focus, and then one presses this button on top. :ilikeit:

The view certainly played a role in me buying the house....which explains why I spent 3 years making the place nominally acceptable by a South African guy's standards.

Fortunately the build in brick in Oz, so 90% of the problems I faced would not occur there.

Fortunately the build in brick in Oz, so 90% of the problems I faced would not occur there.

Hehe, :unsure: That's why I often say that Canada and New Zealand have more in common than meets the eye. The majority of houses here are built using timber and cladding, which I kinda like, so I quite like reading Harry's posts on the SACANADA site eg when he replaced deck some months ago. I need to do the same within the next couple of seasons and by reading his posts I picked up a few tips. Thanks Harry! :ilikeit:

You'll be amazed by how many homes in Aus are not brick & mortar - the older homes are brick, but the newer ones are all weetbix! You can't even "skinder" and the neighbors will hear! Try 3 different TV sets on 3 different channels and keeping your sanity at the same time! :ilikeit:

You can't even "skinder" and the neighbors will hear!

:ilikeit::ilikeit: And with all the South Africans around forget about doing it in Afrikaans and getting away with it, hehe :ilikeit: