Thinking

Russell.

Hi all, just joined this forum and was wondering if anybody would be able to help with some general questions.

I am considering beginning the application process for an Australian work visa as I would like the option of moving over to Australia. The sad thing is that I have a great job and life here in SA, but am becoming increasingly despondent (I really wish I didn't feel this way). I am 40 years old, have an undergraduate degree in computer science and about 15 years experience in software development.

* Firstly - does anybody know first hand if my skills are in demand in Australia? I have tried looking here , and it would seem that they are, but am not sure that this is the best place to find this info (it seems a bit dated - July 2007)

* Secondly, assuming that I qualify for the visa, what would be a realistic time to expect to wait for the visa to be approved if I start the application now.

* Thirdly, if I get granted a visa, is there an expiry period. In other words, how long will I be able to hold onto the visa and still live here in SA.

If anybody could advise or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Russell.

Hi Russell,

* Firstly - does anybody know first hand if my skills are in demand in Australia? I have tried looking here , and it would seem that they are, but am not sure that this is the best place to find this info (it seems a bit dated - July 2007) - I would check out Careerone and Mycareer (google sorry I still trying to figure out the click here thing)

* Secondly, assuming that I qualify for the visa, what would be a realistic time to expect to wait for the visa to be approved if I start the application now.

for a 457 if you do the work quickly it looks like around 3 months or so for a PR visa 9 months to a year

* Thirdly, if I get granted a visa, is there an expiry period. In other words, how long will I be able to hold onto the visa and still live here in SA.

the visa (PR that is) would have to be validated, ie you would have to at least visit oz to have the entry stamp within 1 year of medicals or police clearance

If anybody could advise or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Russell.

Hi Russel,

I am 37, BSc Computer Science, programming for 18 years now (since 1990). I think being 40 puts you in the the next age category, but we're similar otherwise. I have 130 points, assuming that I can get MODL recognition for programming in a language in demand (C/C++/C#). Without this recognition, I am 5 points short of the required 120. I am still waiting for the ACS (Australian Computer Society) to complete my assessment and give the yay or nay.

I am going for the 175 permanent residence visa. If you can get a job offer and go the sponsored route you won't need to worry too much to get over there. We wanted the permanent residence mainly for medical and schooling for our son, but also to feel more secure in making the move. I don't know how different it is applying for permanent residence from within Australia, but I'd like to think that it was at least a little easier. :blush:

All the best,

Mark

Hi Russell,

You're at the right place in terms of this forum. And welcome!

Let's hope that you go from thinking to doing with all of the info and assistance that you need.

Mark (Tobold) is the man for you to talk to, as his ACS positive assessment came through today! I'm not sure about the points that you will get, and whether or not your "next age category" score will affect your elligibility or not. You may find that using an agent answers some of these questions or helps you to find a way in.

We are not using agents, but trying to wing it on our own.

Anyways, all of the best,

Cheers,

TereMel

The only trouble with temporary visas is that you have to apply all over again for permanent residency, even though you're living and working in Australia at the time.

Wouldn't it be another option to get a permanent visa straight away if you can afford to wait a few more months while the whole paperwork is being done?

If you can get enough points to qualify for a skilled independent permanent visa . . . . the 175 visa, requiring at least 120 points . . . . that's the best cos you can go to live and work anywhere in Australia without restriction.

If you dont' quite stack up the 120 points, yet still get 100 points or more, you could get a close relative to "sponsor" you to Australia, or failing that, get a State government to sponsor you. . . . . the 176 visa.

That way, you get permanent residency as soon as your tootsies touch the deck in Australia.

The Sponsored Permanent Skilled visa (176) means you just have to set up shop in the State that sponsored you for a couple of years before shifting on to other parts of Australia if you want to.