Allowed or not?

Guest colton

Guest colton

Okay now the packing is about to start, what a huge job! I know there is a problem with wood and feathers but what if you have all the giraffes, masks, (have an order from family waiting) etc. fumigated and certified as such? Are you then allowed to bring it in? Does that include all my beautiful chinese buddahs I bought in Australia as well, the wooden ones? I know no feathers and shells but what about goose down duvets and pillows? How about mounted, open frame, shells? Any other things that are a definite no-no?

A broad & basic rule of thumb is: if it comes from nature in it's natural form, it is not allowed. (Sand, soil, animal matter, plant matter, shells, animal products i.e. meat, milk etc & plant products i.e. herbs etc.) You can try to take your wooden stuff and shells but they will most likely not accept the treatment it got in RSA and you will have to pay for it to be treated here in OZ (we were charged $260 to have a small rosewood table treated). You also have to pay to have it destroyed if you opt not to have it treated (slightly lower cost). Whichever you decide - you will pay. (That's if they discover it......). You must ask yourself if it's worth the hassle & cost to bring those things. The thing is, they might not find it, but then also, if they do and you did not declare it, they will most likely unpack more (or all) of your container which may lead to more discoveries and longer delays. "African Art" in general is a no-no, but as I've said, some people have had no problem getting it through to Aus (our local South African shop even sells African art, so I'm sure there's perfectly legal ways to get it into Aus.....)

I found a lot of inconsistency in the whole customs system and a lot is left to the discretion of the customs official - some days you're lucky, some days you're not..... It's not as if there is a list with EVERYTHING on it (e.g. Roberson's Spice for Mince......) - they can only act on the general rules and have to decide which items qualify and which do not. If it was that easy (having a list), we would have been able to check it ourselves. (Now wouldn't THAT be nice?!)

So, to conclude: if you absolutely have to have it at whatever cost, bring it. If you absolutely have to have it but cost is a factor, take your chances and hope for the best (or linger on it and hope to get a change of mind....) . If you don't necessarily have to have it - leave it!

Hope this helps. I know, it is quite daunting to have to leave half your life behind (some things money just can't buy: the children's art project with wood shavings & shells, etc...). It is only one of the emotional hurdles you will come across in the process. Sometimes it helps to take a step back, breathe and re-approach. :ilikeit:

Guest Noeks

Hiya Colton,

I wish you much luck and loads of energy and patience with your impending sorting, packing and moving. If its any consolation, its all terribly worth it in the long run! Just to add my bit, I found it heart breaking not being able to bring certain items (I must have had the biggest collection of traditional hand made/woven African baskets and woven furniture ie. pedestals and side tables and chairs that I bought at a roadside stall when we lived in Botswana and that I'd collected from all over Southern Africa), and it all stayed behind. Ditto for all wooden carvings, sea shell collections. Its such a total schlep having to declare each and every item, and then, like Riekie says, when it gets here, it doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be accepted, treated or not (at a price), or slip through undetected. I found the whole system lacking somewhat, because our garden furniture came through (with mud stuck underneath the hollows of the chairs and table legs), as well as my daughter's pink Wellie boots (bits of soil underneath), but mine and my husband's Cat boots, as well as his safety boots, were confiscated and "cleaned" (nogal) for A$70. Last time I looked they were "clean". They confiscated our Christmas trees and all decorations and "treated" those as well. My husband had a huge knife collection, his pride and joy - spent many hours eating biltong with one of them - and that was all left behind as well. Its really the luck of the draw, that some items will go through undetected and others not. I will say, they are very, very strict and if its all that much worth it to you, then try and bring your items in, and once again, like Riekie says, be willing to pay for the quarantine treatment or the destruction thereof. Also, ensure that well in advance, if you are bringing in feezers and fridges, that you obtain the clearance letters for them too, ie, what gases they use. We had just bought a chest freezer and struggled for 3 months (constant calls and emails) to get a letter out of the manufacturer stating what gas is in it, and in the end, had to leave that behind as well, because they took so long in responding. The manufacturer eventually sent us an email (but we had already arrived in Australia) which was obviously too late! With regards to my precious baskets and weaved furniture, I have subsequently found many shops around here that sell similar stuff, so its not all doom and gloom. Will just have to start my collection all over again. A lot of it is the sentimental value behind each item, and that is the saddest part of it all, but as I said, its well worth it in the end - dis wereld se goed.... let it go, let it go! When you have moved countries like we have so many times, you would think you'd get used to clearing out and leaving behind, but being human, we don't. I wish you lots and lots of luck! And I also hasten to add, I (and my family) are very happy here and have not once regretted the move, baskets or no baskets!

Happy sorting and packing and moving, lv Noeks :ilikeit:

Edited by Noeks

Would a wooden dining room set (made from Indonesian rubber wood) be allowable?

I found the following information, check it out! I think it sould be quite comprehensive, once you find your way around the site.

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?...4A7D8C8015E4BDD

Mara