Feedback from SA holiday

Guest Bronwyn

Question

Guest Bronwyn

Hi guys (warning - mammoth post)

I promised some feedback on my trip to South Africa - 12 days plus flying time. I got back to Adelaide last week, and am now over the jet-lag.

We have been living in Adelaide around 15 months now, and I wanted to go back for 2 weeks to see my family. Some of you 'oldies' :lol: may remember that my little niece had a big heart operation last year at around 8 months old, and also my grandfather aged 81 had a heart attack a week before Christmas (he is now a lot better). So the oldest and the youngest members of my very big family had heart problems recently, and I wanted to see them again before it became a funeral trip. :unsure: I went on my own, leaving the kids and DH coping perfectly without me, as always. Lots of uninterrupted Super 14 viewing....

Well, SA Airways was scary, to say the least. The safety video/demonstration was skipped entirely, the ancient rattling drop-down TV's showed only 2 movies, both for kids. No matter, as none of the earphone attachments in my vicinity worked anyway. The food was even worse than usual plane food, and the blankets smelt funny. The only good part was that the flight was empty, so I got 4 seats on the middle to have a snooze on. I was very gratefull when we touched down alive.

On landing at OR Tambo I walked out to see my dad for the first time in 15 months, which was great. But the best bit was the lovely black sky, thick with rain, and the perfect ambient temperature. The whole time I was there is was around 28 degrees and lovely. No searing days and chilly nights like here. :whome: The drive to the East Rand was a bit more hairy. My dad's 1600 Bantam spent most of the time driving in the yellow lane, while people overtook us. :blush: Traffic was a shocker to me, as the highways are chockablock full of cars and trucks. I had forgotten so many people share the roads up there, after sleepy Adelaide traffic. The problem as always is that the trucks go 50 and the BMW's go 160 and heaven help you if you get stuck in between. In the time I was there I borrowed cars from family, and after the first 2 days I was used to it again, zipping in and out like the maniac I am in my sister's little Golf. :lol: The roads are definitely in a worse condtion than when we left, the road markings are faded, and potholes a bit bigger. I experienced 3 or 4 roadrage incidents and - dare I say it - the problem was always with white people, I had no trouble with taxis' etc. One aunty near Menlyn would NOT let me change lanes in front of her, and we ended up having a colourfull sign-language conversation. One drunk guy followed me home drinking a beer and flashing his lights at me and swerving all over the show on my second day. This was in the middle of a Friday afternoon and I got a bit of a fright. I realised I have become used to men behaving a bit better than that here in Aus. :holy: Luckily after about 15 minutess he got bored and turned around. I was shaking after that one, I can tell you!

Still on traffic - I realised that some members of my family have no problem drinking 5 beers and half a bottle of wine and driving home at 150kph. Just like always. Others ignore traffic lights at night, and all take fat chances on the road. It made me annoyed because my family needs me alive, and gratefull for airbags. :whome:

I had scared myself quite a bit before leaving, but I lost my fear after about 24 hours again. I decided, however, I would not drive alone at night, and made sure I was home before that. I think that reading News 24 scared me too much, as I actually felt safe most of the time. The truth is that it does take just one 50c bullet, as someone said in another thread, and I was very aware of this.

The gardens - absolutely beautiful. Both my gran and mother in law have award-winning gardens, and it was great to see green grass and flowers, sprinkler systems and swimming pools! My garden in Adelaide now resembles a desert. There are no plants left and the grass is not really hanging in there. We even have fake put-put style 'grass' on the traffic islands. :ilikeit: I realised how much I missed the lovely green, and just being able to plant something and water it so it can stay alive.

The shopping - Oh My GOSH! I loved everything in the shops. I blew a cool R4k on my Edgars account in 2 days. I will pay it back over the net. Now we are all kitted out with winter basics. Approximately 50% of the cost of Australia. The problem was getting my 40kg's of luggage back without paying in.... :whome: I can honestly say I find the clothes shopping in Aus a nightmare. The stuff is HIDEOUS and EXPENSIVE. I make no excuses for my comment here. I wouldn't even dress my worst enemy in some of Harris Scarfe's finest. I think their buyer is colour-blind. On the contrary, Mr Price, Woolworths, oh WOW, lovely stuff!

Did I mention the clothes are better?

The cars - YES, YES, YES. Nice cars. No crappy, ugly wagons.

The people - The ladies in Eastgate, for example, wear make-up! And nice clothes. And paint their nails, and have their hair done. Let's just say it's been a long time :blink: . The men weren't too bad either. It was nice to be among beautiful people. How much am I going to be lambasted for that one??? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - looking well-groomed doesn't make up for not being alive. :whome: While on the sbject I had the most amazing facial for only R200 - almost 2 hours. I was in heaven. South African beauticians rock. Funny story though - as I was coming out of the cubicle I yanked the curtain and the whole curtain rail fell down on my head and gave me a huge bash on the forehead. :blush: I saw stars!!! I still have the lump 10 days later. Duh! Serves me right for being vain, most probably.

What else? Oh yes, some of my family was just as they always are. Full of cr@p. I remembered why I now live a few thousand miles away. Most were lovely. Some blatantly said 'When are you coming home?'. They are all just getting on with it. Business as usual.

Eating out - Expensive!!! My inlaws took me out for Italian and the mains were R60 for a salad and R120 for a lamb shank. Much more than I remembered but still a helluva lot less than Aussie prices. No matter which way you look at it. The exchange rate going to R7,45 to the Aussie dollar today says it all. If we go out to eat we never spend less than R800 for 4 of us now. Let's just say we eat out a lot less nowadays (And before everyone starts telling me not to convert, we earn Rands, and pay with a South African card, so we see the bill in Rands, thank you very much. Thanks to the lovely exchange rate we have had a 26% drop in income over the past year. So I unfortunately have to convert to Rands).

Friends - of my 3 close friends, one is moving to Salt Lake City, one to Canada, and one to the USA somewhere. They all 3 told me on different occasions that things are far too bad now to consider staying in SA. It's funny how different factors push different people over the edge. For some it's Eishkom, for some it's the education system, and for some it's Zuma and corruption.

Lifestyle - the lifesyle in SA seems amazing still. It's just braai's, eating out, interior decorators, big bike trips, nice cars, holidays, and property investing. Nothing has slowed down, the whole place is buzzing with money.

Houses - When I saw again how nice people's houses are, I was embarrassed about my little Aussie house, to tell the truth. It's the same style and size of a townhouse we owned exactly 10 years ago. It goes to prove that you can expect emmigration to set you back financially by 10 years. Oh well. When you have to fix everything and clean everything and plant or mow everything yourself, you realise the smaller the better. No oceans of cream porcelain tiles for me, thank you!!! No manicured lawns or shiny cars, either! :blush: No trellidors and double locks. No ADT phoning you at odd times, either....

Well, in a nutshell, I enjoyed my trip, but the last few days were torture, I couldn't wait to get back to my family. I actually missed some of my friends here too. :ilikeit: I thought, and thought on the plane, but I cannot honestly say I missed Adelaide (Australia???) itself. In truth, all the friends I missed here are also Saffers. Probably because I don't have any Aussie friends. What does it mean? I still have a long way to go on my personal 'journey'. See ya on the other side. :excl:

Bronwyn

PS. For anyone reading this that was at the Pretoria coffee club on the Saturday afternoon, I hope the newspapers and pamphlets helped. If not, we left a bit of a mess at Irene. Thanks so much Bridge, it was a good meeting!

Edited by Bronwyn

we earn Rands, and pay with a South African card, so we see the bill in Rands

Am I understanding you correctly, Bronwyn? You live and work in Adelaide but you get paid in Rands? :ilikeit: Eina! :excl:

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Pygmalion

Yes that's correct. We have a business in PTA and are trying to get one going here. So we earn Rands. Maybe not the best decision, in hindsight...It's getting pretty eina :rolleyes:

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks a lot for the great post! All the great things you mention about SA are going to be hard to leave behind....! My family, lovely house, garden, maid, maid :blush:

Thanks for the newspapers at the coffee club! It was really helpful. :rolleyes:

Despite everything that you miss, do you still feel that you did the best thing by going over?

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Jeanne

We definitely did the right thing by leaving SA, but I'm not sure yet that Australia was the right destination for us. We should have investigated other options as well. It has been a lot harder than expected, and I hope that time will improve things.

Regards, Bronwyn

Great Post Bronwyn coming from JHB/Pretoria I so get where you are coming from. You should give QLD a go - the grass literally is greener over here!

To us Aus has been great and we are very fortunate/blessed to be better off here financially than back in RSA and that does make a huge difference to our experience! But not everybody has that and I guess people in similar situations should take heed of your post. We are a bit worried because we are trying to get our parents over here, and they might very well struggle a bit more in Aus and since they'll be earning a "pension" (annuity income etc) from RSAand they are bound to suffer the same exchange rate impacts. Damn.

Thx for the long and honest post!

BUG

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Bug

I would have liked the QLD option, but we are State Sponsored by South Aus so we are not allowed to live in another State.

:ph34r:

Edited by Bronwyn

Hi All!

I just read Bronwyn's reply and must say that is one of the things that "tickles" me.

We have our own business and are looking at selling everything here and starting afresh there. Our LSD's already booked for May to go to Perth. I'm one of those ladies in Eastgate Bronwyn talks about. My hair gets done 3 times a week and nails every two weeks. I must add that my husband and myself runs our business and we deal with customers and suppliers on a daily basis.

How does the ladies in Oz take care of themselfs and is it affordable? If it's not, it will be a mind shift change like a lot of other things when it comes to immigration, but I would just like to have some opinions.....

Tx!

M

Thank you for your honest post, Bronwyn - very interesting to read.

Glad you had such a good time in SA and that your family are all OK! :ph34r: ...and very glad you made it back to Oz safely.

Maybe you guys just haven't found the right town/city for you in Oz. From what I've heard and seen first-hand, where you land up in a country can be a huge determining factor. And of course, different strokes for different folks apply - what is 'the best place to live' for one person/family, might turn out to be not such a great option for another.

For the record, I also like being surrounded by 'beautiful people' (and, in addition, beautiful surroundings/environment), and that's not a crime; it's a preference...most definitely not the be-all and end-all in life, but certainly a nice-to-have if it's there!

Bear in mind that the business visa you're on is one of the most trying visas there is, so be proud of yourself for having made it this far.

I wish you all the very best in your continued personal journey, as you mentioned. :ilikeit:

thanks for posting this... :ph34r:

you mentioned 'Lifestyle - the lifesyle in SA seems amazing still. It's just braai's, eating out, interior decorators, big bike trips, nice cars, holidays, and property investing'

... it wasn't like this for all of us, :ilikeit: we lost loads when a township developed next to our plot.. and we never really had the car/house package. It worked out better overseas for us.

We know quite a few people who are better off overseas. They only miss the kuier with their SA friends, families, familiar places, the help of 'ousies' :ilikeit: and cheap help around the house.. we can afford many more holidays and eating out now. I guess its different for all of us. :ilikeit:

Edited by Kaalvoet

hi Bron,

your post was entertaining, we live in the green hills of KZN on an acre of green, mowed land. We will be heading to the the slightly less green hills of Adelaide, but have read and seen pictures of Adelaide that speak to your post. But I'm so glad you were happy to go back. After all the truma we've been through with the family etc, I would have cried if you said you wanted to return to RSA. Our family consider you the bench mark even though we probably support different rugby teams. :ilikeit:

Well done, good post and I look forward to meeting you and the fam at one of the get togethers in Ade.

Regards

B

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for the intersting post. We sure have a lot good stuff here in ZA...too bad we also have lots of bad stuff as well :ilikeit:

Anyway, thanks for the stuff you brought to the PTA Coffee Club. (I still have the Woolworths booklet).

Have fun!

Regards,

MCD

That was an interesting post for me to read, Bron . . . . and honest.

The Adelaide hills are certainly brown and sunburnt in this dry State, and we're waiting for the rains to come, possibly in May. Until then I look out on dry countryside.

I dunno . . . I just come to see this place as having its own beauty, its own serenity and peace. I guess others settling here may find it harder to come to accept Australia as it is.

I can't help but think that women here are different also from lots of American and South African women that I've come to meet and hear about. A lot of women here get around in jeans and a T-shirt half the time and don't seem to put too much make-up on at all. It doesn't seem the Aussie thing to worry about appearance or status too much.

If you've got looks, you've got them. I think a lot of Australian women are great looking women nonetheless and I've heard Pommie and American men raving about them.

At the end of the day though, I'd like to think that you and your family will have the option of either living and settling here in South Australia or South Africa.

That way, if things go really bad, you can at least still have a place to live in safety.

See you at Belair Nat. Park on Sunday?

Hi Bron,

Lovely post!! Really enjoyed reading it!! And can say that I miss Woolies and Mr Price. (Can't find the right panties here!! LOL!!)

I have been trying to work out who makes the transition easier and who battles. In my opinion it's the people that didn't have the money to do the hair/nail thing that often, the ones struggling to make ends meet with a normal salary, the ones who worked for a boss and was hampered by the BEE AA thing, that appreciate the change to Australia all the more. We fall in this catagory. We did have a house car etc etc and lucky me my sister has a salon and I got the free hairdo's etc. However we still had to budget like crazy!!

People migrating from SAfrica where they had very high incomes and no worries with money are the ones that take a bigger knock. The Aussie lifestyle just doesn't seem to be easy to accept. Salaries are more on par so if you don't have a bussiness that makes lots a $$$$, they suffer because of the lower income power.

I do believe living in Seychelles for the time we did made our transition 100 times easier. The non availability of many basic items, food and clothing etc made coming to Aus a breeze as everything is available here.

We are also MUCH better off here than we were in SAfrica even though hubby was in Management there and back on the "tools" here in Aus. I also forsee us starting our own bussiness here in a year or two once we have learnt the Aussie way of doing things.

All that said, I thank youso much for your honesty and are very glad you'r back safe and sound.

Keep well and goodluck with the Aussie bussiness!! If you could make it in SAfrica you will make it here!!!

N

;) Hi Bronwyn,

Well.. let the lambasting begin.. :) I think this is the second time someone mention

thisIt was nice to be among beautiful people. How much am I going to be lambasted for that one???

But I have to disagree..I have seen both sides of the coin in Australia and in South Africa... hey some are even family!! Beautifull people ( physically Sp?) in Aus and SA and then some people that would make the paint on your car peel away in horror!!

Sw

Oh Bronnie, u've had me rolling around on the floor laughing at your post!! Fantastic stuff ..... I had long forgotten so much of my SA life .... seems like a lifetime ago!

Thanks for the post Bronwyn. I must say that I enjoy the look of Adelaide - granted it is very dry at the moment, but I grew up in the Free State, so I'm used to dry grassy fields.

Regarding the beautiful people - yes, the Aussies may be less inclined to dress up and wear tons of make up, but I prefer it that way. Some of those "beautiful" people will give you a huge fright if you see them first thing in the morning without their battle gear (make up).

Guest mrs mupersan

Thanks for this Bronwyn - brilliant post.

You'd probably be right at home in Sydney. This place has greenery EVERYWHERE! And as for beauty salons and well-groomed fabulously beautiful people..... WOW!!!! I'm really not one for make-up at all - I can't remember when last I wore any - so I'd probably be right at home in Adelaide. :)

But seriously, don't judge Australia by your experience in Adelaide alone. Perhaps instead of visiting ZA (SA = South Australia for me now!) on your next holiday, save up to make a few trips around Australia so that you can get an idea of what else is out there. Adelaide doesn't have to be a permanent home for you - once you have that all important full PR or citizenship, you'll be free to move wherever you like. Try and find where you'd like to live in Aus and then start working towards that.

I can completely agree that what floats one person's boat is not necessarily going to float the next person's. I was born in Pretoria, then spent 5 years growing up in Jhb before my folks moved to CT. I visited Jhb a few times through the years and could NEVER see myself living there - no amount of money could've dragged my up there. Well, maybe Adelaide for you is like Jhb is for me. So stick it out until you can leave for a greener state.

Mands

Guest mrs mupersan
without their battle gear (make up)

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I call it war paint! :):lol::ilikeit:

I think that there's also another aspect to physical beauty here that I've noticed. People here don't walk around frowning all the time because they're stressed out and scared for their safety. People smile here. They make eye contact. Their faces are open and friendly and their body language is open and positive too. The constant tension isn't here.

I think that as a result of this, you have alot of naturally beautiful people. I'm not explaining this very well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that all supermodels are necessarily beautiful. I find that natural, healthy and happy people tend to appear far more attractive than perfectly groomed people. Please don't take offence here, this is really just my opinion and trying to explain why I find the Australian people (in Sydney at least) more attractive than the people in ZA (generally).

Now the UK is a completely different story all together!!! I really battled to spot a good looking Englishman. Everyone's so pale and pastey and there are so few people who actually get outdoors to do any exercise. I found that depressing.

There are certainly alot less overweight people in Sydney than in Cape Town - also just generally. People here walk. Everywhere. They're active and fit. I started to notice how South Africans in general were becoming a larger nation. I put this down directly to the lack of safety and security as people are forced to stay home and socialise/watch TV/play playstation/surf the net. So I'm off the Tim Tams and am walking everyday to try and get down to a more "beautiful" weight. :blush:

In my house make-up expires. Don't go for the "pop"/trophy wife look. Tried it but can't see where the appeal is. I rather go for the "sexy" look. Grew up in the Cape where you only have one hairstyle. The wind tousled look. You sit in the car, checking that the hair is just right. You know, bringing out the eyes but hiding the flaws and framing the face just so. Lovely. Then you get out.... WHOOSH .... hairstyle gone. Loved the Cape.

Must add, the clothes-out-of-the-washbasket look that I noticed in Australia did not appeal. The shabby look. But then again. If you have a life to live ...!

Edited by Antoinette

Hey babe, you're waaay beautiful enough as you are. Don't need all those beautican people and others messing you around :lol: and dropping poles on your head :lol:

Great post Bron. I think it's so important for people to read this. It's also important for people to realise that it's very very hard to make the "mind shift" if you're still running a business in SA and earning in Rands and not getting the chance to really totally cut the bonds. One foot in each country just doesn't work, no matter where you are, whether it be Adelaide or Brisbane or Canada or wherever.

It's clear that you have not yet made the mental shift and let go of all the things you had over in SA and that brings me to the other point I always try to bring over to people - it's soooooooo much harder for the well-off or those who have worked hard to go from zero to top of the heap and all the trappings that go with it to have to start all over again. It's such a steep climb and such a long way to the top. BUT remember how long it took you to get there, remember what tenacity that took, realise that you still have that and CAN do it again and ultimately ask yourself what is more important - things or people? I think you know what the answer is.

And oi, what's wrong with having Saffer friends over here (and missing them :ilikeit: )? :blush::lol: Tell you what, it always tickles me that people are so intent on making Aussie friends. It doesn't matter which background or nationality the friends are, thank God you do have them. You will always find that when someone is new to an area / school / workplace or whatever that they will probably end up becoming friends with whomever else was new at that time as well. It's just that over here in Aus there are so many new arrivals from South Africa, England, wherever and we tend to end up with lots of friends who have something in common with us (being the bravest, gutsiest people in the world who made that move!) - it's great, such a big pool of potential friends to choose from :whome: . My best friend in England was an English lady, but only because she was also new to the village when we moved there and we had that in common.

My best friend here is South African and I wish she would bloody stop whining over what she misses and doesn't have and start appreciating what she does have over here... :ph34r:

See you Sunday doll, and you'd better have smuggled that biltong over in your knickers like you promised, or else! :holy:

Edited by Annette

Thanx Bronwyn, the comparison was good to read.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit your family and that you have returned safely to Adelaide.

I'll have to work at it to adapt, it seems - - get out of my box and start living if I soon have the privilege to move to Aus. Good learning curve in my case.

Wilna2

Bronwyn,

Jy het my nou laat verlang. Ons is al 'n jaar hier in Adelaide en ek het gedink ek is nou al aan gepas en gesettle. Regtig. Maar ewe skielik na jou post, toe voel ek so 'n twinge.....

Ek is eerlik as ek se dat ek nie veel van die winkels, klere en kos mis nie, dis die bekendheid, die gevoel van 'behoort'. Die inhardloop van vriende en familie vir 'n koffie en gesels.........dis die mense wat ek mis. Ek haat hierdie gevoel van verlange wat nou al deel van my daaglikse bestaan geword het. Daai simpel pyn in die hart as jy iemand vir wie jy lief is so voor jou geeste oog sien. Ai, man.

Ek weet hoekom is ek hier in OZ, daar is soveel redes en ek weet ek moet vrede in my hart maak met my besluit om alles net so te los en te immigreer. Ek

WEET dis die regte besluit en eintlik IS ek happy hier. Die lewe behandel my goed hier en ek veg om my geliefdes ook hier te kry.

Maar Suid Afrika, my grond, my land, my geboorteland, my vaderland, my mense.......ek mis jou so baie. Om net weer 'n Sewe jaartjie blommetjie te kan sien op die koppie daar in Hermanus..........

En daar loop die trane.

Ek hoop jy het lekker gekuier saam met jou mensem welkom terug.

Groete,