Steve: From Somerset West to Oz

Steve

Hi All

I have to confess I've been a silent visitor to your site for a while now....from the early days when you moved over from the "other" Forum. My wife, Anita and I, are very keen to get out of SA ASAP. We've been over on our LSD trip together (April 2006) and are just waiting for the wife's Visa to come through (Spousal Migration). We are really easy going about where in Oz we land, just as long as we get there.

Cheers for now

Steve

Welcome Steve - good to have you with us. I hope you find lots of useful information here - don;t be shy and keep the questions flowing!

Cheers

Ajay

Good Luck To you and Anita. I hope the appliaction moves quickly as I detect that you want to get going.

Welcome Steve and Anita, I sincerely hope that all goes smoothly for you.

Mara

Welcome, Steve and Anita!

Glad you decided to "come out of the closet" :ilikeit:

With that easy going attitude, the whole move will be a lot easier on your nerves. Holding thumbs that things move quickly for you.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Steve and Anita!

Welcome to our cosy forum!

If you don't mind sharing, where have you been with your LSD - any favourite places?

C'BUG

Hallo Steve and welcome. Ag man, you make me so sad now seeing that you're from Somerset West. My cousin lives in Strand and my mom in Hermanus, so I know that area very well, we shop out at the Somerset Mall a lot when we visit ... B) Soooooooooo beautiful!

Hi Steve and Anita!

Welcome to our cosy forum!

If you don't mind sharing, where have you been with your LSD - any favourite places?

C'BUG

We did a quick (3 week) tour of the biggest cities, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. It wasn't a very complete picture, but it gave us an idea of where we wanted to be. Here are my views, based on what we saw:

Perth: Clean, open environment. Everything works the way it should and it's the sort of place I could happily raise children. I really liked the laid back atmosphere and the beaches and housing (modern) were the best we saw in Australia. Our worries included job opportunities, public transport infrastructure, and isolation.

Adelaide: Fantastic vibe. Reminded me of the University Town where I grew up. Great place for retirement, but don't see much in the way of IT jobs coming up. I liked Adelaide the most out of all the Cities in Oz, but we wouldn't be able to live there because of the job situation.

Melbourne: We'd heard a lot of rave reviews of Melbourne, but to be fair we didn't see a lot of it. I was keen to head out to Gippsland, which we did, so we really didn't see much of the City. Weather looks better, Cooler than most places in Summer, Jobs look good, and crime is lower than Sydney. Decided in the end, to move to Melbourne on th balance of what it had on offer. (Perth was the other highest scorer for us, funnily enough)

Sydney: Sydney has the "wow" factor that all other Oz cities lack. Loved the waterways, bridges and efficient transport network. A lot of my Family live here, which would be a help. Really put off by the House prices, though, and the apparent crime problem.

Brisbane: Anita liked Brisbane the most, reminded her of Pretoria, where she grew up. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the humidity (even in April) so we called that one quits. Brisbane also had a nice laid back, friendly vibe, though. (Didn't like the plasterboard housing at all.)

All in all, we enjoyed "rural" Australia more than the cities, where the people were friendlier and more laid back, although that isn't generally a problem in Australia.

Thanks for that honest & objective opinion on the cities of Oz. I suppose each city has it's good and bad (and ugly) and that it may differ for each person. In the end, home is where the heart is and you should settle where you will feel most "at home" & confident about a future.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Steve and Anita,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you will get as much information and support here as I have had. Please don't hesitate to ask any and all questions, I have just been through it all and hope to help where I can. Syds isn't such a bad choice hey, :) why not add to the WOW factors... by becoming one... :ilikeit:

Hope to see you around a lot more !!

Love

Sunshine Sista

:hug: